Kendrick Lamar - "XXX." ft. U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So Bono did the Wyclef thing, has there been any other u2/ rap collaborations?

Rumors of Dre/Treason, Kanye, Rza remixing and collaborating on a Pop single(if I'm remembering correctly)... any others?

I seem to remember reading on this forum there was a song called Treason in HTDAAB sessions...produced by dr Dre.

U2 produced by a hip hop/rap artist could be interesting. And it's not like they hadn't worked with artists from those genres before so...

As for Kendrick ? Could be a sample for all we know, not necessarily U2 performing with him. Either way could be interesting, or not. Looking at previous collaborations I mildly liked New day with Wyclef and wished U2 had written something new with MJB instead of redoing One. SBS with Jay Z at the EMAs in Berlin was interesting too.

What does it mean if i haven't got a clue who Kendrick Lamar is??? I'm getting old I'd imagine.

The relevancy battle continues for u2

Chopping up something and making it unrecognizable and then say "featuring U2" would be ridiculous. As someone who listens to rap and hip hop, Dave I'm surprised that's where you're hedging your bets.

Personally, like someone mentioned above, I think it will be something more along the lines of the Dido/Eminem thing; song left barely touched and maybe some Bono in the chorus.

it's highly unusual for sampled artists to get "featuring" credits so expect to hear something new. I don't know why that's so hard to accept.

Stereogum are not U2 haters. They have one of the best U2 writers on staff (Ryan Leas) and cover the band without sneering at them. Check out the Pop anniversary piece. It's wonderful.

I like Stereogum and yes Ryan wrote and has written some great U2 pieces. So you're right, not U2 haters. BUT, i do believe one of their writers proudly tweeted - "Hey! I just shit on Songs of Innocence LOL." after SOI's release, and they were right on the hate U2 bandwagon for some time after that.
I expected more from them. To be able to seperate the album from the release method. But they didn't in my opinion.

Anyway, I think they are sometimes fair with the band, but always get the feeling they are ready and willing to pounce on them to please their audience.

I read here and elsewhere that Mike Will Made It created the beat for the song. Think at this point it's reasonable to expect some sort of new U2 material on the song.

it's highly unusual for sampled artists to get "featuring" credits so expect to hear something new. I don't know why that's so hard to accept.

I suppose it could be a rerecorded old song.. ala Mary J's One.

i.e. Kendrick's lyrics over an existing U2 song.. maybe rerecorded with a new arrangement

Credits can be anything. KD Lang was credited on the Stones' Anybody Seen My Baby even though she had nothing to do with the recording merely because somebody felt the chorus sounded like Constant Craving.

Featuring is something totally different. That implies that it's more than a sample. It doesn't necessarily mean it's a new song, but you'd assume that the band recorded their contribution rather than simply allowing a sample here.

I am 99% sure this Dre song was done in 2001. During the European leg, around when bono met up and hung out with mick jagger (forget what city it was), there was also a story of Bono working on bones of American Prayer song with Dave Stewart and flying across to US on a whim to work on it, and during this time also quickly did Treason-which was never released.

Someone menteined work with Kanye? Anyone have the details/story of this?

kinda surprised there hasn't been any leak yet. I would think that physical copies are sitting in stores around the world...

I know this goes without saying but I really hope that the song sampled is Stand up Comedy!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I will never let down the hip hop snob comment will I? Haha!! I do make beats as a hobby. Feel free to check some out on Instagram I posted. There's one where I sampled New Years Day. I'm a novice and don't claim to be very good so go easy on me should you choose.

https://instagram.com/p/BSrZL_Zj0JD/

My gut says it's something totally new. I don't think it's gonna be a sample, but if it is I'd bet it's "With or Without You." The instrumentals are so iconic/recognizable and would sound pretty damn cool with a beat over it (esp. the intro). And with just four chords it makes it really easy to chop up and edit.

Only odd thing to me is that if it is a brand new song featuring them, why haven't the band's site or social media mentioned it at all? You'd think it's a pretty big deal.

Back
Top Bottom