Kasabian singer hated touring with U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While I always find it hilarious when bands stir shit this way (months/years after the fact, right around the release of a new album), I've got to admit that U2 fans do appear disinterested in most opening acts, and that they likely did treat Kasabian like shit. I have no opinion on the band either way, but there's precedence for this.

It's the band's call though, ultimately. They entertain the shittiest crowd imaginable for an hour and, in return, they receive greatly increased exposure.

Those were extremely ungracious comments. I've never heard Kasabian's music andf now don't care if I ever do or not.

What does Kasabian's music have to do with some silly comments one of their members make? If I'd be paying attention to the amount of silliness a lot of musicians say in the press, I'd probably listen to 2 bands in my life tops.

djerdap said:
What does Kasabian's music have to do with some silly comments one of their members make? If I'd be paying attention to the amount of silliness a lot of musicians say in the press, I'd probably listen to 2 bands in my life tops.

Presumably youve heard a song or two before said silly comment. If a person hadnt heard anything by a band before said band dissed them (as a U2 concertgoer) its not a huge stretch to imagine that they might not actively seek it out in the future.

Presumably youve heard a song or two before said silly comment. If a person hadnt heard anything by a band before said band dissed them (as a U2 concertgoer) its not a huge stretch to imagine that they might not actively seek it out in the future.

That's the kind of silly, and quite frankly immature, defensiveness U2 fans are famous for

That's the kind of silly, and quite frankly immature, defensiveness U2 fans are famous for

Right. I forgot, fans of other bands line up in droves to listen to the music of bands whose lead singers openly diss them. :rolleyes:

As it is, this asshat's comments actually made me go listen to extra songs of theirs that I hadn't heard before. I still think they sound like shit, his comments about "fans like me" notwithstanding.

Presumably youve heard a song or two before said silly comment.

Actually, I don't believe I ever heard a Kasabian song. Whether I will in the future has absolutely nothing to do if somebody from the band stepped on poor old Boner's toe.

Well I'm glad, especially considering he said nothing about Bono or U2! :lol:

Ah... If you insist, I'll rephrase - if any band starts to talk shit about U2's gigs or their fans, yeah, that wouldn't make any difference in whether I would listen to them or not.

I love Kasabian, but bloody hell, Meighan really sounded like an whining arsehole in that article.

Its not subjective, unless you start using qualifiers. As stated, its just flat out untrue.
I'm sorry, I forgot who I was talking to. Apologies. I'll retire from this thread and you can go back to trying to kick Nick66's ass, everyone can be happy.

I can only speak for myself, but after I've put hours into the line in order to be right up front, I frankly don't have the energy to give a shit about the opening band most of the time. Unless they're really good, they're mostly just a nuisance to me at that point. One more obstacle on the way to U2.

I didn't see Kasabian open, but I imagine I would have reacted to them the same way I reacted to the majority of the other bands I've seen open for U2, which was mostly indifference. It's due to the exhausting GA process more than anything else. So, I guess that's not really fair to the opening bands. I'm sure I would like many of them more under different circumstances.

i don't think it'll do any damage or good. i think the only people who will care will be, well, u2 fans.
In a nutshell, yep.

How dare they say bad things about the kind of fans who sit down and read during opening acts!
lol, ingrates.

It's the band's call though, ultimately. They entertain the shittiest crowd imaginable for an hour and, in return, they receive greatly increased exposure.
Troof. It works, too. :wave: Interpol-n00b :wave:

It's just a shame for the lemming types who have their minds closed from the start. Ie: "I did so give them a chance! I stood there and clapped politely!" aka "I stood there with a sad-baby-bitch face and folded arms waiting for them to impress me. Since I didn't know their music and the lead singer wasn't swinging from the microphone, I made my mind up halfway through the set that they SUCK!"

It's not inconceivable that two acts that opened for U2 last tour just so happened to be not all that good at all, in my opinion.
Fixed. :hug:

kafrun said:
It's just a shame for the lemming types who have their minds closed from the start. Ie: "I did so give them a chance! I stood there and clapped politely!" aka "I stood there with a sad-baby-bitch face and folded arms waiting for them to impress me. Since I didn't know their music and the lead singer wasn't swinging from the microphone, I made my mind up halfway through the set that they SUCK!"

Question: do you think it's possible that a person could go to a concert NOT knowing any of an artists music, and yet come away suitably impressed? Because I'm absolutely that kind of person, and that has absolutely happened to me before. It didn't happen for me with one of U2s opening acts. I found them horrible. I had known maybe one or two of their songs, but I hardly had any reason or motive to hate them or their music and was in all honesty listening in Montreal to hear anything that might turn me on. By the time Toronto rolled around I had come to the realization that it wasnt going to happen. Still, I clapped politely and didnt boo or sit down. I'm gonna go way out on a limb and say that its quite probable that someone on the other side of the pond felt the same way about Kasabian.

Ive been in some pretty rough crowds where acts that the crowd hates are booed, pelted by objects, and generally run off the stage sooner than they are scheduled to leave. U2 crowds are tame in comparison. Sounds to me like some other bands and their fans should get some neck growth pills and just carry on and stop the goddamn whining, seriously. A rock n roll show isnt a charity variety event, its a boxing match and you go to war trying to win the audience. Those are Bono's sentiments more or less, btw :up:

Did Kasabian open a lot of shows? Or just a few? It's one thing if they only agreed to do a couple of shows (like when R.E.M. opened for The Police at Shea Stadium, reluctantly, and then said it was horrible) but it's quite another if they signed on for several. I mean, who's the idiot for agreeing to do it if they didn't know what they were getting into? That would be Kasabian.

Also: "I didn't learn anything 'cos that's just a f**king different level. It was amazing to watch and meet them, but I didn't learn anything apart from just get the f**k out." What does this even mean?

I would too given the fingers-in-ears mentality of many U2 fans.

People are rarely interested in opening bands at most concerts I go to, not just U2. Actually, Melbourne audiences sometimes seem barely interested in the main event, as well :wink:

Yes it sucks when you're playing to a disinterested crowd, but fact is, the vast majority of them didn't go to the concert to see you and are unlikely to go wild for music they're unfamiliar with. Heck, even when the actual main band plays lesser-known material, the crowd's interest can drop like an anchor. If your ego can't stand that, well don't be an opening band then.

Lets not forget that back in the day U2 opened for a band whos hits at the time included Centerfold and Freeze Frame :rockon: . They won those crowds with sheer energy and musicianship, eventually eclipsing the headliners...not by whining and biting the hand that got them there.

Wait tho..thats actually a decent point but let me tell you back then there were plenty of bands poised to hit that kind of achievement level tho...older heads will probably agree..maybe even more than now..U2 is the band that ultimately did tho...so why shouldnt U2 fans welcome any upstarts with the same (healthy?) skepticism that awaited U2 back then?

Who's next, exactly?

Back
Top Bottom