Just saw this Tweet about NLOTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theedgeu2

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Secretly listening to a U2 record that's beyond th
Mostly hate U2 but their '09 album is underrated. Best thing they've done since the 80s

I don't think this deserves it's own thread at all but I have no clue as to where to post this. :scratch: Move if need be.

Just out of a random search on Twitter I found this Tweet and was very surprised to see it. That's the exact quote, except without a link. I'm just a little surprised that someone who isn't really much of a fan applaud NLOTH like so. I'm used to hearing a lot from people who don't really like much of the current U2 or much U2 at all say something about NLOTH being garbadge. I think it's a stellar release and if they would just not have Boots on there it would be perfect IMO. Just wanted to spark a little discussion on this. Mostly I've got nothing going on though.:lol:

ehh people feel different ways. sometimes its harder to get in the groove of the 90s stuff, many people dont have the patience to let it grow on them or just purely dont like it. Everyone has different tastes, so Im not surprised with this response, but yea i agree NLOTH can be well underrated at times.

I'm a member on another forum and I'm always over there promoting U2 and everybody shoots me down, but recently, a couple people from that forum emailed me asking for suggestions on where to start with U2. I just told them to start with Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby, as they are tied at my favorite album. Then I said after that to just kind of experiment with all their albums and figure out what they like for themselves.

Both of these guys really loved Joshua Tree, one of them loved AB as much as me and the other one didn't care for it as much.

But the funny thing is?

Both of them listened to NLOTH third. and BOTH of them now say that that is their favorite U2 album they've heard so far.

Applauds above post.

NLOTH isn't perfect (I'm looking at you "Crazy"), but that diversity mixes up the sound more than on other albums, including JT (I do really like JT, but the songs are a bit too similar). NLOTH takes the best of what U2 have done in the past and modernized it (like the title track). Then they have utter brilliance with MOS (one of the best U2 have written - I hope it stays alive in concert). Basically, it has the fun songs, the rockers, the ambient and the experimental - all done with great music and vocals. It truly is the best, IMO, U2 have done since AB. It's a shame the first single couldn't carry this album. But perhaps "overlooked gem" isn't a bad distinction.

I love NLOTH. Its tied for my 3rd favorite U2 album.

Something I think U2 fans need to realize is with U2 being as popular as they are and releasing a true album (NLOTH being). The listener needs to listen to it few times to really appreciate it.

A U2 record in a instant gratification society does not bond well for the band. That is why the popular single was a must for them but it fell flat w/ Boots.

NLOTH
Magnificent
MOS (!!!!)
Unknown Caller

^^This blows my mind still. And WAS, Breathe, Being Born are special too.

Soon
NLOTH
Magnificent
MOS
Unknown Caller
Get On Your Boots
Fez/Being Born
White As Snow
Crazy Tonight
Breathe
Cedars

No SUC.....worst U2 song ever..sorry

NLOTH is definitely underrated. If you listen there's a lot of different natural sounds in the songs, from birds to the sounds of a market in Morocco. [The album sounds extra nice through some good headphones]. Even though it has been used before, I think it adds something unique to the album since they are sprinkled throughout the album more often than any others. Some don't like these long openings but it's different, which is good.

NLOTH is U2's best in my opinion. AB/Zooropa, TUF and War follow as 2nd, 3rd and 4th. I also like Pop a lot. I guess I'm most interested in the experimental, European sound of the band.

I think it's one of their best. Less immediate, which IMO is a good thing.

I love NLOTH. I think the problem is that it takes some patience to "get" and most people have very short attention spans. How many people take the time to listen to an album all the way through and savor the nuances? Not many.

My favorite place to listen to NLOTH is in my car; "Magnificent" makes the doors vibrate. Try it!

Of all U2 albums, NLOTH is the one I'm most indifferent to. I mean, I know for a fact that I hate HTDAAB! But NLOTH doesn't really provoke a strong reaction from me. I don't even know, really, if I even "kinda" like it. But part of me doesn't really WANT to love it, either! Even POP, which baffled me at first, made me want to love it (which I eventually did). I just don't ever really feel like listening to NLOTH. If it's on, I guess it's good background music. But can't say I ever have the urge. Except maybe on really long drives, which actually was the last time I listened to it. And it was like "ehh"..."okay"..."I guess?" I guess it comes down to the album lacking a certain identity. Who knows. Well, glad I could cheer everyone up. Peace!

ehh people feel different ways. sometimes its harder to get in the groove of the 90s stuff, many people dont have the patience to let it grow on them or just purely dont like it. Everyone has different tastes, so Im not surprised with this response, but yea i agree NLOTH can be well underrated at times.

I just my sib which are her fav U2 album's....
she says she likes the earlier stuff....
but she also loves COBL, BD & BD

We went to the ZOO-TV show at Giants Stadium.
We were 3/4's the way back and maybe about
8 rows from the top :lol::crack:
She HATED the show because she was so terrified
of the stadium shaking. If she liked the album at all--
since we often know their songs sound even better live>
this might have ruined it for her.

I'm going to lend her my copy, once I re-find it again!
I'm gonna be happily freaking again when I hear hopefully EBTTRT & Zoroopa, she better be prepared! :lol:

I'm a member on another forum and I'm always over there promoting U2 and everybody shoots me down, but recently, a couple people from that forum emailed me asking for suggestions on where to start with U2. I just told them to start with Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby, as they are tied at my favorite album. Then I said after that to just kind of experiment with all their albums and figure out what they like for themselves.

Both of these guys really loved Joshua Tree, one of them loved AB as much as me and the other one didn't care for it as much.

But the funny thing is?

Both of them listened to NLOTH third. and BOTH of them now say that that is their favorite U2 album they've heard so far.
That's interesting!
With some people here saying TUF + AB = NLOTH
That would make sense!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE NLOTH....and hate that U2 have totally ditched it on this tour.

I think it sounds like the love child of TUF/AB.
:ohmy: nothing at all!??!! :sad: haven't looked at the Set Lists for SA

Applauds above post.

NLOTH isn't perfect (I'm looking at you "Crazy"), but that diversity mixes up the sound more than on other albums, including JT (I do really like JT, but the songs are a bit too similar). NLOTH takes the best of what U2 have done in the past and modernized it (like the title track). Then they have utter brilliance with MOS (one of the best U2 have written - I hope it stays alive in concert). Basically, it has the fun songs, the rockers, the ambient and the experimental - all done with great music and vocals. It truly is the best, IMO, U2 have done since AB. It's a shame the first single couldn't carry this album. But perhaps "overlooked gem" isn't a bad distinction.

I love NLOTH. Its tied for my 3rd favorite U2 album.

Something I think U2 fans need to realize is with U2 being as popular as they are and releasing a true album (NLOTH being). The listener needs to listen to it few times to really appreciate it.

A U2 record in a instant gratification society does not bond well for the band. That is why the popular single was a must for them but it fell flat w/ Boots.

NLOTH
Magnificent
MOS (!!!!)
Unknown Caller

^^This blows my mind still. And WAS, Breathe, Being Born are special too.

Soon
NLOTH
Magnificent
MOS
Unknown Caller
Get On Your Boots
Fez/Being Born
White As Snow
Crazy Tonight
Breathe
Cedars

No SUC.....worst U2 song ever..sorry

I was never a big fan of TUF except for ASOHC and Pride. I really grew to like MLK and UF as part of the 360 09 tour.So i don't really "hear" much TUF in NLOTH.

NLOTH to me battles it out with AB for my #1 U2 album.

I'm not that big on strict hierarchies I make up levels instead!

JT, AB & now NLOTH are in my superb pantheon!

superb>
NLOTH !!!!!
Breath !!!!!
Magnificent !!!!!
Unknown Caller !!!!!
Fez-Being Born !!!!!

excellent>
Crazy Tonight !!!! (I learned to really like the live version, too)

very good>
Boots !!!
Cedars (i don't listen to it much but I recognize it's worth)
<and I love the chorus... haunting, esp in juxtaposition to the spoken part>
MOS !!! ( same feelings as Cedars, but I listen more to this)

good>
SUC i like the funkiness

ok>
WAS

superb>
NLOTH !!!!!
Breath !!!!!
Magnificent !!!!!
Unknown Caller !!!!!
Fez-Being Born !!!!!

excellent>
Crazy Tonight !!!! (I learned to really like the live version, too)

very good>
Boots !!!
Cedars (i don't listen to it much but I recognize it's worth)
<and I love the chorus... haunting, esp in juxtaposition to the spoken part>
MOS !!! ( same feelings as Cedars, but I listen more to this)

good>
SUC i like the funkiness

ok>
WAS

^^^^^^^^^
This is EXACTLY how I feel, except I'd swap Moment of Surrender with Unknown Caller and I'd bump Crazy Tonight up to the "Superb" list.

I just listened to it in full the other day, and I've got to say, it's aged well for me, better than I thought it would. Overall a solid album, though I still think SUC and WAS should have been left out, as they're still very forgettable tracks, but otherwise NLOTH is standing the test of time. The one song that has really improved is Unknown Caller. Its still clunky and awkward to me, but there's something so unique and positive about it, that over time it starts to creep under your skin. I never expect them to revive it live, though. Anyway NLOTH is probably their most diverse album so far. There really is something for everyone on it.

The one song that has really improved is Unknown Caller. Its still clunky and awkward to me, but there's something so unique and positive about it, that over time it starts to creep under your skin.

Pretty much my point of view on it. A little weak lyrically in parts, but musically it has definitely grown on me overtime.

^^^^^^^^^
This is EXACTLY how I feel, except I'd swap Moment of Surrender with Unknown Caller and I'd bump Crazy Tonight up to the "Superb" list.
I can understand that. :)

With all of the songs I listed esp in the Superb level-
that is how I related to them right off.....
on occasion over the 2 years Mag, has drifted the most between superb to excellent and back again. Breath and Unknown Caller the same but less so. After time they i believe have solidified in the superb level. Mag may be the only one that still drifts! needs a : driftsmiley : :D

CT was the funniest in that I LOVED the album version, HATED the Live CT (YT), but luckily about a month before the show I started to like it, and got to pretty much love it. When I saw it live it definitely stayed in the excellent level. :D

but otherwise NLOTH is standing the test of time. ..... Anyway NLOTH is probably their most diverse album so far. There really is something for everyone on it.

You might be right on the diversity thing.... which bothers some people -- but I like that they did that this time. You get to see what they have tried, and found good enough to release officially !

And unlike some people- I think they did some things they haven't tried before, whether on the whole (each song) or parts within particular songs. :)

...You mean, if I get a twitter account, I too could be dissected by Interference? I wonder why they don't advertise with this.

Back
Top Bottom