Joshua Tree claims two lives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lesson for us all, but is a tragic unnecessary death.The music venue he runs, is one of the better venue's here in Holland, its sad to see him go and yet, its kind of ironic a music lover like him, dies at an iconic place like that.

I'm sure as hell going to check the weather forecasts, bring extra GPS , cells and lots and lots of water, whenever I'll go there.

Wow. The mistakes they made were pretty bad. I had read about this in the paper yesterday. They took the wrong kind of car on a four-wheel-drive road, and they left the car when it became stuck. It's terrible that they had to die for no reason at all. A little research and they would have been able to not only find the tree, but survive the trip. You do not fuck around in the Mojave in August.

Sad indeed. And as the article states the tree photographed on the back cover was actually in Death Valley.

Wow. The mistakes they made were pretty bad. I had read about this in the paper yesterday. They took the wrong kind of car on a four-wheel-drive road, and they left the car when it became stuck. It's terrible that they had to die for no reason at all. A little research and they would have been able to not only find the tree, but survive the trip. You do not fuck around in the Mojave in August.

That's what I read as well. That's really unprepared. Still quite the tragic death, could've been so easily prevented.

Sad indeed. And as the article states the tree photographed on the back cover was actually in Death Valley.

And the tree itself is quite dead & fallen, there's only the remnants of it and a plaque there now.

Such a shame. Such a waste.

RIP, Guus Van Hove, our U2 friend we never met. Hope you find what you're looking for in the great beyond, where there's surely a Joshua Tree in bloom waiting for you.

We turn away to face the cold, enduring chill
As the day begs the night for mercy love
The sun so bright it leaves no shadows
Only scars
Carved into stone
On the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes

You run like a river, on like a sea
You run like a river runs to the sea

And in the world a heart of darkness
A fire zone
Where poets speak their heart
Then bleed for it
Jara sang - his song a weapon
In the hands of one
though his blood still cries
From the ground

It runs like a river runs to the sea
It runs like a river to the sea

I don't believe in painted roses
Or bleeding hearts
While bullets rape the night of the merciful
I'll see you again
When the stars fall from the sky
And the moon has turned red
Over One Tree Hill

We run like a river
Runs to the sea
We run like a river to the sea
And when it's raining
Raining hard
That's when the rain will
Break the heart

Raining...raining in your heart
Raining into your heart
Raining...raining into your heart
Raining, raining...raining
Raining into your heart
Raining...
Raining your heart into the sea

Oh great ocean
Oh great sea
Run to the ocean
Run to the sea

I frequently visit the venue where he was a manager. It's about 3 miles from where I live (same city). Some of my friends are working in that venue. Very sad news. He seemed to be a great person.

RIP

The golden rule about being stuck/lost in the desert is never ever leave your vehicle no matter how bad things get. Without the shelter it provides, you're toast.

A little research and they would have been able to not only find the tree, but survive the trip.

Apparently, a German U2 fan site includes this helpful map...

00_Map_California-thumb-550x448.jpg

...which takes you hundreds of miles from the tree's actual location.

You do not fuck around in the Mojave in August.

It hit 121F in my little corner of the Mohave today. I wouldn't even walk to the mailbox.

I think I know the road in the article. It's a very dangerous off-road drive full of great ways to tip your car over or get stuck - and if you do have a problem there's no reason to think anyone else will be along that week.

Apparently, a German U2 fan site includes this helpful map...

00_Map_California-thumb-550x448.jpg

...which takes you hundreds of miles from the tree's actual location.

It hit 121F in my little corner of the Mohave today. I wouldn't even walk to the mailbox.

Are you serious? I was using this map for my research into this for a possible trip next year.

Of course she's serious. The now-fallen tree photographed on the album cover is not in the Joshua Tree National Park, but several hundred miles north west of there, close to route 190 which you can see in the top left of that map.

Edit: Oops, didn't see Martha's post. But the key point is, the tree has fallen down, so you won't be able to recreate the album photo.

Someone on that German site really should correct that so no one else goes wandering around Joshua Tree looking for something that isn't there.

My advice for anyone looking for the tree: find someone who has already been there and ask for directions. Follow their helpful hints, advice, etc, including waiting until the weather is cooler.

The tree isn't far from the highway, there should be no wandering or searching or dying if the directions you get are solid.

Do we know what German website has that map up? That way someone from here could contact them to let them know their map is WAY off.

Bono will be able to resurrect these two people, right???
I understand the cynic undertone in your joke, but still I find it quite inappropriate.

As a Dutchman with a son called Jesse Joshua, named after this tree, I really found it sad to read it took two lives. Surely, they should have prepared themselves better, but that doesn't make it less sad.

Back
Top Bottom