Jon Stewart talks about Bono on O'Reilly factor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was also left wondering what song mentioned Peltier until I read it here.

JS is an admitted U2 fan of some magnitute. I think when he introduced U2 at the Grammy's in 2001 he mentioned seeing them in 83 or something.

If JS did even more research on Dylan/Hurricane he would have found the photo of Bob meeting him in prison. That would have crushed Bill's argument even further.

Native Son came on that mega-U2-super-deluxe-limited-special-ultimate-edition iTunes download pack didn't it? I guess it's very likely Stewart just had/has that, rather than some highly unlikely image of him stumbling across Native Son while scouring the internets for U2 rarities.

Well I guess much of that was lost in how it was presented by the media. I admitted that I don't know much about Common. He must not be very ............ well known. :lol:

the media misrepresented something to fit their own ideological agenda?

shockedCat_1_hello_there-s510x472-103667-535.jpg

also, i'm not huge into rap... there are some artists i like very much... i think jay-z is a genius... but a lot of what's out there just does nothing for me.. so my knowledge consists mostly of the "well known" artists. i very much know who common is. he is in no way an unknown artist.

Thats wild...I wouldve thought every regular here would know what Native Son was about. :shrug:

What's this "Native Son"? What's Interference? What's U2? :shrug:

IMHO (yes, IMHO - not in anyone else's HO),the best thing about "Native Son" vs. "Vertigo" is the theme. Why did Bono suddenly change his lyrics completely? Not sure. Maybe he felt his more serious lyrics never quite meshed with the rocking music. Maybe he decided to honor Pektier in another way. Maybe he learned something about Peltier that changes his mind. Maybe he felt Peltier was not really known, making the song a big obscure. Or maybe he felt the theme would be too polarizing. Regardless, at least we have the song as a "bonus". :yes: But is it really better than "Vertigo"? Eh. It's funny - just before I opened this thread, I was actually listening too "Native Son" (odd coincidence, no?). And all I kept thinking was how "Vertigo" rocked more. So, IMHO, it's great that we have both songs, but I'm glad U2 went with "Vertigo".

Why did Bono suddenly change his lyrics completely? Not sure. Maybe he felt his more serious lyrics never quite meshed with the rocking music. Maybe he decided to honor Pektier in another way. Maybe he learned something about Peltier that changes his mind. Maybe he felt Peltier was not really known, making the song a big obscure. Or maybe he felt the theme would be too polarizing.

If I remember correctly, the story is that one day, in the middle of rehearsing the song with the band, Bono stopped it and said something along the lines of "I can't sing this song every night on tour."

He just didn't feel comfortable with it being the big lead single.

If JS did even more research on Dylan/Hurricane he would have found the photo of Bob meeting him in prison. That would have crushed Bill's argument even further.

:ohsnap:

i very much know who common is. he is in no way an unknown artist.

Yep. And to be honest when I heard they were villifying him in the media I was like "Common??! COMMON??!!!" Like, he's probably the least controversial, most celebral and concious rapper alive, or at least in mainstream hip hop. And from what I understand, squeaky clean in terms of any criminal past. He's one of the good guys, imo. Yet O'Reilly says "he associates with dubious characters".

It's patently ridiculous, frankly.

one could say common is fairly common?

dr-evil.JPG

there just happen to be a lot of people who instantly associate rapper with criminal thug. it happens on these very message boards all the time, even by people who claim to be liberal minded, free thinking people. we've all seen it. it's quite sad.

i don't like to say it's flat out racist, because i think it's fueled by flat out ignorance rather than actual hatred, but yea... it certainly toeing the line.

I don't think this is a product of research - a search on Google for "songs about Leonard Peltier" gets no hits related to Bono or Native Son. Admittedly, I gave up after 5 or so pages..

Nah, this was something he had to just know. Good job :up:

Or he just reads Cracked about as frequently as I do. They did an article that mentioned the connection about 4 months ago.

If I remember correctly, the story is that one day, in the middle of rehearsing the song with the band, Bono stopped it and said something along the lines of "I can't sing this song every night on tour."

Oops - I noticed my typo (Peltier!). But thanks for this. Where did you read or hear it?

It goes with my thought that perhaps the lyrics make it a bit too polarizing.

"Pride" was itself a bit polarizing, but that works. The big hook in the song makes it a great rocker that has clearly stood the test of time (even if some feel it's overplayed in concert). But "Native Son" might not be that song. With the success of "Vertigo", clearly U2 chose correctly (as for leaving on "A Man and a Woman" over "Fast Cars", uh...).

Native Son came on that mega-U2-super-deluxe-limited-special-ultimate-edition iTunes download pack didn't it? I guess it's very likely Stewart just had/has that, rather than some highly unlikely image of him stumbling across Native Son while scouring the internets for U2 rarities.

Or maybe JS or one of his researchers only read Peltier's wikipedia page which has a list of songs he has inspired.

Thats wild...I wouldve thought every regular here would know what Native Son was about. :shrug:

Is there confirmation beyond a wiki page? Would you have known what Walk On was about by only reading the song's lyrics? Why do a Peltier song 13 years after Rage Against The Machine did one?

Sometimes they only know the singles until late in the recording/mixing process. Bono could have known the big high note in the middle of the song would crabshoot on tour - more demanding than "SYCMIOYO".

Lanois might have turned Bono on to Pelitier. Who might have been turned on to him through Tom Morello of Rage. They are both L.A. buddies.

The reason why Vertigo is more liked than NS is the production is much clearer. As well as the mix. That being said the scream in NS is great.

Initially I thought NS was about 'sons of Irish' because in Ireland a non-native is a person who has come from somewhere else in legal terms. Be it, Europe or Asia.

I would love to see some sources as to NS being about Pelltier.

Lanois might have turned Bono on to Pelitier. Who might have been turned on to him through Tom Morello of Rage. They are both L.A. buddies.

The reason why Vertigo is more liked than NS is the production is much clearer. As well as the mix. That being said the scream in NS is great.

Initially I thought NS was about 'sons of Irish' because in Ireland a non-native is a person who has come from somewhere else in legal terms. Be it, Europe or Asia.

I would love to see some sources as to NS being about Pelltier.

Rage opened on the Popmart tour, though I'm pretty certain they would have been aware of the RATM song they did back circa ZooTv era.

Frankly I have always had doubts of the legitimacy of some political prisoners. For example when MLK went to jail in Birmingham, AL. We have to admit that some of their actions are politically motivated.

If Pelltier was on the outside he would probably have a shitty job just trying to make ends meet. I mean how good could life be in North Dakota? Presumably being a chief on an impovrished reserve.

If Pelltier was on the outside he would probably have a shitty job just trying to make ends meet. I mean how good could life be in North Dakota? Presumably being a chief on an impovrished reserve.
What does this have to do with anything?

Bill must be one of the more stupid people in the us...
Not the time or place. :rolleyes:

I just think that sometimes being in prison is a political act.

Civil disobedience is a political act, but to say a lifetime in prison is one is something completely different. Especially if you're arguing that his only reasoning would be that he would have a shitty life in freedom.

This is almost as confusing as your logic argument.

Back
Top Bottom