Jon Stewart talks about Bono on O'Reilly factor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well that's nice and random. Guessing there's a rabid U2 fan in the Daily Show office, or just good research. But I love O'Reilly's "Oh I just think he was questioning it", like Bill O'Fuckin'Reilly knows Native Son.

Jon Stewart is such an ass, and Bill O'Reilly isn't much better.

I always got the impression that Jon Stewart doesn't like U2 from a couple of jokes he's made about them in the past. Someone must have dug up a bunch of examples for him to use to defend his argument.

Jon Stewart is such an ass, and Bill O'Reilly isn't much better.

I always got the impression that Jon Stewart doesn't like U2 from a couple of jokes he's made about them in the past. Someone must have dug up a bunch of examples for him to use to defend his argument.

WHAT?? He's a huge U2 fan, from what I always understood. He cracks jokes about them because he's able to laugh at/with his musical heroes. :up:

I don't care whether he likes U2 or not-or cracks jokes about them

However he obtained the information for the debate he wins just with "selective outrage machine", because that's what it all comes down to.

I guess O'Reilly doesn't know how to use Google

Well that's nice and random. Guessing there's a rabid U2 fan in the Daily Show office, or just good research. .

I like anything random because one of my hobbies include mentioning two different topics withing the same breath.

Jon Stewart is a man who actually does his research, unlike Richard Bacon and the program makers on 100 People We Love To Hate.

I don't think this is a product of research - a search on Google for "songs about Leonard Peltier" gets no hits related to Bono or Native Son. Admittedly, I gave up after 5 or so pages..

Nah, this was something he had to just know. Good job :up:

You start with the analogue first (the cop killer in Common's song to Peltier) and you can find it in about three seconds. Leonard Peltier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyhow, Jon Stewart has professed his love for U2 in the past. He hosted their big Grammy show night (2002?) and went on and on about them afterwards.

And yes, Native Son>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Vertigo

Wow, Stewart really did his homework with Native Son. Even hardcore fans would fail to recognize this.

Stewarts problem however is that he always appeals to 'logical' arguments. When he should consider the PR aspects of decisions.

BTW Common, should not be allowed in the White House IMO. And who even really makes me really sick is Ice T. I have a high threshold for art but I draw the line at killing Cops.

[/url]

Anyhow, Jon Stewart has professed his love for U2 in the past. He hosted their big Grammy show night (2002?) and went on and on about them afterwards.

I think the joke was "I saw these guys back in College on the War tour and they are so sincere to their fans" Stewart even said that Bono told him "his acne had cleared up!"

Wow, Stewart really did his homework with Native Son. Even hardcore fans would fail to recognize this.

Stewarts problem however is that he always appeals to 'logical' arguments. When he should consider the PR aspects of decisions.

BTW Common, should not be allowed in the White House IMO. And who even really makes me really sick is Ice T. I have a high threshold for art but I draw the line at killing Cops.

I fail to see how appealing to logical arguments is a problem.

And did you actually watch the video to see what Common's stance is on the alleged cop killer?

I fail to see how appealing to logical arguments is a problem.

And did you actually watch the video to see what Common's stance is on the alleged cop killer?

No I didn't watch his video. I prejudged him. I don't know who he is. But I felt equally bothered by Ice Ts bodycount PR situation. IMO copy killing it is off the charts of free expresssion.

What I don't like about JS logical argument is the same thing I don't like about Noam Chomskys excessive logical argument. Chomsky argues that since the US invaded Iraq because they invaded Kuwait why wouldn't they save country X that invaded country Y in 1972 or 19xx. Misisng the point that matters are arbitrary and some places hold more 'strategic importance' than others. In a similar manner in that some guests are bound to stir controversy. Is this wrong, yes. In his show JS continually uses logic of arguments to solve policy matters when we all relly know some countries are more important than others just like a CEO is of more importance to an electoral win than a street sweeper.

That fact is that Common is a controversial person and if I worked in Law enforcement in the US I would have doubts as to whether or not that administration really respected the work that people do. Which I might add, can be dangerous and stressfull and thankless. Unlike rapping, which according to MTV will get you in the hottub with many supermodels.

I was going to say that the Common controversy is solely based on the genre of music he represents...but then I remembered The Dixie Chicks, Rage Against The Machine...and what it comes down to is this...Conservatives hate Liberals, and Liberals hate Conservatives. End of story. They do it to each other. Goes both ways.

Great interview. I always liked O'Reilly, although I wish he (and most Conservatives) would drop the family values, holier-than-thou, I'm-a-better-American-than-you-are bullshit. But then they'd be losing their core audience, and the cynic in me says that O'Reilly doesn't even believe half the shit he's saying most of the time. Seems like a reasonable guy (and the outrageous shouting's just for ratings). You can tell O'Reilly and Stewart like eachother, this is just theatre for them.

Stewart is smarter than the average politician. He's hilarious as well also and I agree with him on this issue as well as most social issues. Does he go soft on the left? Of course, just like Foxnews goes soft on the right. It's playing to their audience and it's naive to think otherwise.

I can take the theatre of the debate just like everyone else. Stewart and O'Reilly are great at it. I don't think the Dixie Chicks should 'shut up and sing' because art can have a more imporatnt role than just mere entertainment. But I really cross the line at killing cops.

JS has singlehandledy done the job the American Media is 'suppossed' to do (asking tough questions, rigours intellectual debate) but instead wondering what some celebrity is doing instead.

No I didn't watch his video. I prejudged him. I don't know who he is. But I felt equally bothered by Ice Ts bodycount PR situation. IMO copy killing it is off the charts of free expresssion.

What I don't like about JS logical argument is the same thing I don't like about Noam Chomskys excessive logical argument. Chomsky argues that since the US invaded Iraq because they invaded Kuwait why wouldn't they save country X that invaded country Y in 1972 or 19xx. Misisng the point that matters are arbitrary and some places hold more 'strategic importance' than others. In a similar manner in that some guests are bound to stir controversy. Is this wrong, yes. In his show JS continually uses logic of arguments to solve policy matters when we all relly know some countries are more important than others just like a CEO is of more importance to an electoral win than a street sweeper.

That fact is that Common is a controversial person and if I worked in Law enforcement in the US I would have doubts as to whether or not that administration really respected the work that people do. Which I might add, can be dangerous and stressfull and thankless. Unlike rapping, which according to MTV will get you in the hottub with many supermodels.

Let's set some facts straight:

1. Common is not in and of himself a "controversial person". I don't believe that he is a controversial rapper per se, either. As a matter of fact, he is widely regarded and critically acclaimed as writing "concious" lyrics, has rapped for decades about what he sees the negative turn mainstream hip hop has taken, against gang violence, and has raised awareness for various humanitarian causes. To say that Common is a controversial person outside this "issue" about his song about Assante Shakur is just not true at all.

2. Common rapped about a highly controversial conviction surrounded by some truly bizarre politically charged times, the details of which have been disputed and debated endlessly, and even officers who were involved in the situation admitted under oath to have lied. She was beaten repeatedly while in custody. He reiterates these facts in the song and states his opinion on it. I believe Common has the right to state his opinion on her in the course of a work of art (his music) as have countless other artists, politicians who voted against her extradition, law professors who have cited the circumstances of her trials in discussing the constitutionality of police/prosecution behavior in legal studies, etc etc. NONE of these people need be barred from the White House for engaging in discussing this controversial figure.

3. Neither Jon Stewart NOR Common advocate the killing of police officers. He is on record stating: "The one thing that shouldn't be questioned is my support for the police officers and troops that protect us every day."

4. Finally it is no more "strategically important" for a US president to invite a rock singer (ie Bono, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen) who sings about what they believe to be wrongful convictions than it is for him to invite a rapper who does similar, unless we are to conclude that said rock singers are more "strategically important" than said rappers.

Well I guess much of that was lost in how it was presented by the media. I admitted that I don't know much about Common. He must not be very ............ well known. :lol:

In the endless Conservatives hate Liberals, and Liberals hate Conservatives debate they must have learned some trigger points for peoples blood pressure. Mine was pushed.

None of us can also deny the power of music as a political force. Hurricane Carter is a great example and is now living a productive life in Canada. I saw him speak and he can fire up a room like no ones business. Great song too.

As for the strategically importance you bet your bottom dollar it is. If you watch Noam Chomsky endlessly wonder why some nations get American foreign help while others are left alone under the same plight it will tell you all you need to know. Some are more strategically important than others. End of discussion.

JS and Chomsky should stop trying to pinpoint every decision down to a logical rationale. It doesn't work that way. It is upsetting yes. But it is life.

Image, star power, street cred, x factor it is what it is.

Back
Top Bottom