John Lydon rides gain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
... and I LIKE the Monkees! :wink:

I honestly do think a good chunk of their music is better than they get credit for.

But that's neither here nor there, so I'll shut up now.

No need to shut up, I like The Monkees too, apart from that awful comeback a few years back!:wink:

Btw, I didn't even know who that guy was before I came into this tread, so my interest in what he has to say about Bono and U2 is exactly zero.

Considering that Bono has on numerous occasions said that U2 'came from punk', and that U2 were essentially a punk band in the very early years (granted, partially because they didn't know how to play), I guess I'm surprised.

I hate the Monkees. I would like to put John Lydon in a room with them and see what happens.

I don't know much about PIL but as far as I'm concerned the last decent thing Lydon did was Open Up with Leftfield back in 1995. That is a quality tune

I don't know much about PIL but as far as I'm concerned the last decent thing Lydon did was Open Up with Leftfield back in 1995. That is a quality tune

Yes, absolutely. Absolute cracker. That track, alone, shows the man has talent.

I had forgotten, but so did I. In Jersey, supporting "X". Soup Dragons opened.

I'm old.

But not as old as some.
boo, i'm jealous.

john lydon's an attention whore. sex pistols sucked, though they definitely had a ton of influence on post-punk music. pil is okay though, they do have some decent songs. but i haven't heard a song of theirs i liked in over 20 years.

^ ad me to that jealous list. Everytime I play a song of them , I keep wondering how big and awesome they would be ,
and howmany more great songs they could have wrote, if Michael was still there.

But it did promote their tour and their music as well :shrug:

It's hard to find a tie in with butter. :wink:

Blackberry ad to help subsidize the 360 tour.

Butter ad to pay the start up costs for a PIL reunion(Lydon said as much).

Very, very close if not identical in my mind. Only difference is one showcases a song and the other showcases Lydon's personality.

I do cringe when I see the last 30 seconds of this clip:
YouTube - Bono on The Edge - Access U2 Interview

I have to admit to me a little John Lydon/Johnny Rotten goes a very long way. I can almost make it through a PIL song, but have never, ever liked the Sex Pistols. They might be influential/important, but I've always found his bands (and his voice) mostly unlistenable.

Didn't u2 persue Chris Thomas for production in the last few years because of his work with Sex Pistols?

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure that without out and out naming it he's skirted around the topic in interviews saying he's looked over the edge and managed to pull himself back from it (or something to that effect, in the context of a discussion on Bad, RTSS, Hutchense, or something). I can't be bothered looking up whether it was heroin specifically, but it was a vice and it clearly was part of a 'life experience' that informed his lyrics.

Also, you don't necessarily have to do a drug to have a life experience with it. Serious addiction - especially leading to death - affects not just the user but everyone close to them.

Bono is on record(in the 00's) as never having tried Heroin. (IMO, Bono has "flirted" with more drugs than his public persona lets on.)

He's written several songs about it. Is it judgemental of him to write so many songs about his friends problems with the drugs and not having tried it himself? IMO, there's 5-8 songs that are hardly insignificant in the U2 catalogue about the topic.

Blackberry ad to help subsidize the 360 tour.

Butter ad to pay the start up costs for a PIL reunion(Lydon said as much).

Very, very close if not identical in my mind. Only difference is one showcases a song and the other showcases Lydon's personality.

Identical? Did people go to the PIL reunion to see and hear butter? Did PIL get new fans because they were already fans of butter?

Did people go to the 360 tour to hear U2?

If that makes them identical then you live in a much different reality than I...

Bono is on record(in the 00's) as never having tried Heroin. (IMO, Bono has "flirted" with more drugs than his public persona lets on.)

He's written several songs about it. Is it judgemental of him to write so many songs about his friends problems with the drugs and not having tried it himself? IMO, there's 5-8 songs that are hardly insignificant in the U2 catalogue about the topic.

This really is one of the weakest arguments I've heard in a looooong time, and you've had some doozies.

I've dealt with the issues of seeing a loved one deal with alcoholism and how it effects everything around them, but you're saying I would have to actually be an alcoholic myself in order to write about it? Seeing my loved one go through it isn't enough "experience" to write a song about it?

Weak :|

Identical? Did people go to the PIL reunion to see and hear butter? Did PIL get new fans because they were already fans of butter?

Did people go to the 360 tour to hear U2?

If that makes them identical then you live in a much different reality than I...

Did people go to a 360 show because of a fancy telephone?

Lydon's personality is what is driving the PIL reunion. His personality was featured prominently in the ad. Money funded music getting to people just like u2. u2 needed RIM to get their singles heard on TV because radio didn't want any of the NLOTH tracks.

U2 were on record during the ZooTv tour that they would NEVER accept corporate advertising for one of their tours. Their opinion did a 180 for the fund the 360 tour.

Back
Top Bottom