James Morrison: "Coldplay second version of U2"....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KUEFC09U2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Heres what he said, (re its about the brits incase anyone is wondering):

Broken Strings singer James is most looking forward to U2’s performance.

He added: “Coldplay are the second version of U2 so I’ll watch the real thing. Lady GaGa is going to be great fun to see too.”

He added: “Coldplay are the second version of U2 so I’ll watch the real thing. Lady GaGa is going to be great fun to see too.”

who f** cares. Lady Gaga? Talk about losing all credibility in one sentence

NEXT

Well i like coldplay aswell, but i dont think they will be as successful as u2, never, even when u2 retire.

I'm gonna bash U2 just to piss you off :drool:

I'm glad that Coldplay and The Killers have emerged. I hope they have long careers because I know U2 can't go on forever. They got 5 stars from the most important magazines this time around (Q, Rolling Stone) but with every passing album thats a harder and harder feat to achieve.

I'm glad Coldplay, The Killers, koL have emerged, every artist needs a challenge to progress, U2 are now reacting to this challenge and progressing and I hope the other bands will do in turn too.
I don't think bashing other bands is necessay to express your love for U2, I can understand how tiresome and obsessed Chris Martin can seem, but he's a good singer in a good band, even if I prefer U2 a thousand times.

the difference between u2 and coldplay is that Bono can sing!

No kidding huh? I can emulate Chris Martin's voice with no problem at all. It's so fucking easy.

Bono's semi-operatic voice is alot harder to pull off.

Also good job Morrison. You ruined your credibility completely when you finished it off with Lady Gaga.

I think it´s good that other bands come along like Coldplay,Killers etc but in the 80´s there was Simple Minds,Big Country,The Alarm that were about (some of them still are) and they are really strong bands that kept U2 on their toes! I quite like Coldplay but that knock you out punch is missing from them and The Killers...? Shite band:lol:

Well i like coldplay aswell, but i dont think they will be as successful as u2, never, even when u2 retire.

I disagree. I think Coldplay will be the biggest band in the world once U2 retire. And they still haven't reached half of their true potential yet.

I like Coldplay and think that the things they've done since 2000 have been much more interesting that what U2 has done. Mind you, I haven't heard NLOTH yet.

I like Coldplay and think that the things they've done since 2000 have been much more interesting that what U2 has done. Mind you, I haven't heard NLOTH yet.

Your opinion will definitely change after you listen to it.

I agree though. Coldplay's album were more interesting than U2's recent ones.

Until NLOTH came that is. It goes back to the 90s.

I'm glad that Coldplay and The Killers have emerged. I hope they have long careers because I know U2 can't go on forever. They got 5 stars from the most important magazines this time around (Q, Rolling Stone) but with every passing album thats a harder and harder feat to achieve.

Important as in popularity, or credability?

I disagree. I think Coldplay will be the biggest band in the world once U2 retire. And they still haven't reached half of their true potential yet.

If this happens, might as well give up now. Coldplay are really the epitomy of all that is wrong with music today i.e. bland, boring, soft rock, lack of invention or creativity, lack of charisma/character, poor singer, need I say more.

The are very very very poor imitation of a crap version of U2, one without any real energy, passion, innovation or any outstanding ability. If they are the best band in the world, then that really doesn't say much for bands around the world today or the type of music that is most popular.

I'm not Radiohead's biggest fan since they went all weird on Kid A, but i'd rather listen to them than Coldplay any day. KOL and The Killers aren't much better than Coldplay, neither are Keane, Kaiser Chiefs, Franz Ferdinand, Interpol, Editors etc etc. They are all mediocre with the odd decent song, but nothing really good about them, not like some band in the 90s or before that. Muse or even Kasabian are much better than Coldplay and have more potential. Oasis have had their day, not sure what the Manic Street Preachers are doing at the moment and older bands like Bon Jovi, Aerosmith etc are way past it now and living on past glories.

If you think of the early 90s there are bands who music has stood the test of time like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Faith No More etc, all bands with excellent singers and some great songs. Okay that was mainly grunge, but I even preferred some of the Britpop by Suede, Blur, Oasis etc, to the crap indie stuff out now.

Even so, where are all the good singers these days like Bono, Chris Cornell, Mike Patten, Eddie Vedder, Freddie Mercury, Robert Plant etc. None of these indie/alternative rock bands have a decent singer between them really, I've heard better at the Barfly and other places in Camden, Kentish Town etc.

Coldplay the biggest band in the world...I'd rather see Arsenal win the treble ten years in a row and for my team Spurs to be relegated to the Conference.

No need to make anything out of the James Morrison comment -- it's just an off-the-cuff comment, not intended to dis Coldplay, but just to say that U2 is "the real thing."

What interests me is that a lot of you seem to think Chris Martin is a poor singer. I'm not a big Coldplay fan, but I know their 10-20 best songs, and what strikes me about them is that their sound is completely conventional with the notable exception of the singer. That is, I think his voice is the one thing that puts them over the top and that probably makes them as big as they are. I really think that's a diamond voice -- even when their lyrics are crappy (as they often are), his voice still carries the day.

What is it about it that you don't like?

Coldplay are ok, their first two albums were brilliant but they seem to be fading in quality now.
Have to agree with Noel Gallagher, that Viva la Vida song is just like Annie Lennox song, walking on broken glass, utter shite.

No need to make anything out of the James Morrison comment -- it's just an off-the-cuff comment, not intended to dis Coldplay, but just to say that U2 is "the real thing."

What interests me is that a lot of you seem to think Chris Martin is a poor singer. I'm not a big Coldplay fan, but I know their 10-20 best songs, and what strikes me about them is that their sound is completely conventional with the notable exception of the singer. That is, I think his voice is the one thing that puts them over the top and that probably makes them as big as they are. I really think that's a diamond voice -- even when their lyrics are crappy (as they often are), his voice still carries the day.

What is it about it that you don't like?

Each to their own, but if you think Chris Martin has a good voice, who else do you think is a good singer? In my view, he sound like some whining, moaning, weak singer, who can't sing live.

its all down to Chris Martin moving similar to Bono, but come ON! both groups have a totally different sound to each other!

BTW James Morrison is hot! wish he'd won something!

Coldplay becoming biggest band once U2 retire? dunno about that, already we saw them get taken over by GA last night. Coldplay MAY have peaked or are still in peak, I still love them thou :up::wink:

"Even with U2 on the same planet you have to lift your game. We are still chasing them and I hope we always will be"

Chris Martin, 2009 Pre-Grammy interview

Now while I don't care for Coldplay much I appreciate the fact that Chris Martin takes such inspiration from U2. Problem is he does imitate Bono too much - but its more of influence and fandom than trying to be better from Bono. (My opinion, don't dance Chris - the music wont save you)

Coldplay??, I never understand the similarity with U2, 2 very different bands. Coldplay is boring, the singer cant sing powerful songs... Coldplay never gonna be a innovative band, so why compare both bands?.

The Killers is different, great band, big songs, excellent singer, U2 and Killers are big bands.

Coldplay came up with "See You Soon" and "Shiver" so they deserve my respect and admiration. I don't love 'em to death and I'm actually annoyed because they are definitely overrated by common-folk, not to say that they're not excellent, just saying that they are overrated.

Back
Top Bottom