James Morrison: "Coldplay second version of U2"....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Coldplay??, I never understand the similarity with U2, 2 very different bands. Coldplay is boring, the singer cant sing powerful songs... Coldplay never gonna be a innovative band, so why compare both bands?.

The Killers is different, great band, big songs, excellent singer, U2 and Killers are big bands.

I dont think there songs are boring at all, they have a different sound to most bands, yeah the odd song is slightly similar to u2, but all in all there one of the best bands England has produced. But still u2 own :p

If this happens, might as well give up now. Coldplay are really the epitomy of all that is wrong with music today i.e. bland, boring, soft rock, lack of invention or creativity, lack of charisma/character, poor singer, need I say more.

The are very very very poor imitation of a crap version of U2, one without any real energy, passion, innovation or any outstanding ability. If they are the best band in the world, then that really doesn't say much for bands around the world today or the type of music that is most popular.

I'm not Radiohead's biggest fan since they went all weird on Kid A, but i'd rather listen to them than Coldplay any day. KOL and The Killers aren't much better than Coldplay, neither are Keane, Kaiser Chiefs, Franz Ferdinand, Interpol, Editors etc etc. They are all mediocre with the odd decent song, but nothing really good about them, not like some band in the 90s or before that. Muse or even Kasabian are much better than Coldplay and have more potential. Oasis have had their day, not sure what the Manic Street Preachers are doing at the moment and older bands like Bon Jovi, Aerosmith etc are way past it now and living on past glories.

If you think of the early 90s there are bands who music has stood the test of time like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Faith No More etc, all bands with excellent singers and some great songs. Okay that was mainly grunge, but I even preferred some of the Britpop by Suede, Blur, Oasis etc, to the crap indie stuff out now.

Even so, where are all the good singers these days like Bono, Chris Cornell, Mike Patten, Eddie Vedder, Freddie Mercury, Robert Plant etc. None of these indie/alternative rock bands have a decent singer between them really, I've heard better at the Barfly and other places in Camden, Kentish Town etc.

Coldplay the biggest band in the world...I'd rather see Arsenal win the treble ten years in a row and for my team Spurs to be relegated to the Conference.

I respect your opinion and I can understand why some people do not 'get' Coldplay, particularly U2 fans. But what I do not agree with is your statement that Chris Martin is a 'poor singer'. He really isn't. His voice is special and I don't think there is anyone else with a voice like his. Just listen to the live DVD version of "See You Soon"...have U2 performed anything on that level (with a live audience?), something so emotional and deep as that? If so, please tell me.

I honestly think Coldplay have the potential and talent to become one of the biggest bands in history. I don't think they imitate U2 at all...as for Radiohead, well they haven't enjoyed as much commercial success as Coldplay and they've been around longer too. I don't see them being able to rival CP ever. Quite clearly it's all about U2 and Coldplay - they are the two biggest bands in the world right now.

If this happens, might as well give up now. Coldplay are really the epitomy of all that is wrong with music today i.e. bland, boring, soft rock, lack of invention or creativity, lack of charisma/character, poor singer, need I say more.

The are very very very poor imitation of a crap version of U2, one without any real energy, passion, innovation or any outstanding ability. If they are the best band in the world, then that really doesn't say much for bands around the world today or the type of music that is most popular.
No need to quote the entire post, but I agree with everything you say - U2 has "it". Coldplay hasn't and they probably never will.

the difference between u2 and coldplay is that Bono can sing!
Indeed. Specially when comparing live performances. Martin's voice is very very week, seems that's he's going to fail the notes and to be voiceless at any moment. And he can't really hold a note, his voice trembles a LOT. Doesn't seem like he's been singing for years.

I've not really heard Coldplay live, but on record his voice is fantastic. It has a unique timbre and communicates a lot of warmth and emotion. Obviously, there must be something to their sound, and I don't think it's the band, as they sound professionally adequate but very conventional.

I certainly agree that Bono is a better rock singer and has more range than Chris Martin, but, ya know, Coldplay is more mid-tempo soft-rock. In that area, his voice is fantastic.

Also, I disagree with Noel Gallagher. 'Viva la Vida' is one of their two or three best songs yet. What I like is that it actually has great lyrics, as opposed to all their other hits. (Also, why would anyone take Noel's opinion as an authority? Basic rule of Noel's tastes: it if doesn't have a prominent guitar and imitate the 60s, he doesn't like it.)

I've not really heard Coldplay live, but on record his voice is fantastic. It has a unique timbre and communicates a lot of warmth and emotion. Obviously, there must be something to their sound, and I don't think it's the band, as they sound professionally adequate but very conventional.

I certainly agree that Bono is a better rock singer and has more range than Chris Martin, but, ya know, Coldplay is more mid-tempo soft-rock. In that area, his voice is fantastic.

Also, I disagree with Noel Gallagher. 'Viva la Vida' is one of their two or three best songs yet. What I like is that it actually has great lyrics, as opposed to all their other hits. (Also, why would anyone take Noel's opinion as an authority? Basic rule of Noel's tastes: it if doesn't have a prominent guitar and imitate the 60s, he doesn't like it.)

As you might have noticed, I am probably once of Coldplay's harshest critics on this site, but I can admit that Viva La Vida is one of their best songs to date, it's a good song and there is no denying that.

I respect Noel Gallagher and think he is quite funny, plus he likes U2. Even so, I think Oasis should branch out a bit and burst that bubble they have been living in that is full of Beatles records and nothing else. They are incredibly narrow minded, even Noel Gallagher said they want to stay in their comfort zone, which basically means they are either scared, incapable or just don't want to try new things and experiment with their musical style, which will always limit them as a band.

Chris Martin's voice might sound ok on record, but there is still nothing great about it. Maybe it's just my point of view, but a singer's voice is very important to me. That includes not just the emotion in the voice, but the sheer force, power, passion, energy, versatility and range. Chris Martin might have the emotion but falls short in those other aspects. Therefore, even if Coldplay's music isn't too bad, they will always be limited by him. They have some nice melodies and great atmosphere, but there is nothing new, different or particularly interesting about most of the music they release.

No kidding huh? I can emulate Chris Martin's voice with no problem at all. It's so fucking easy.

Bono's semi-operatic voice is alot harder to pull off.

Also good job Morrison. You ruined your credibility completely when you finished it off with Lady Gaga.
I like James Morrison's voice.

Bono ruined his credibility in with MJB. That made Marc Lemar, Ian McCulloch and Jon Earls take a swipe at his singing. He's permently ruined his reputation as a singer just so he could sell out to the chav market who don't do subtle. This is why they consider shouting to be singing. Marge from Halifax even texted in to say how appalled she was with the miming at the Brits. It was Bono's fault.

Coldplay is one of the best groups on the music scene now. I have detected a U2 influence, but so what? They are obviously not copycats, have their own unique sound, and most importantly, put out great stuff.

Back
Top Bottom