Jack White's Love Is Blindness on Radio 2 tonight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^ Then just go and listen to the U2 version, it's fine the way it is.

Jack White does a coverversion and he does it his own way. If I want to hear someone doing it exactly like U2, I go and listen to U2.

Maybe Jack White had good reasons not to touch that solo, who knows.

Of the three, I only really knew Interpol's music. It was odd how I saw them all, Interpol was boring - however I knew that going in, I didn't EVER see them opening for U2, they're just not that kind of 'big' band. Florence is an amazing show person - trust me, I bet you'd like her a lot more than you think you would. I thought she was fabulous. She is an absolutely incredible singer. I've never liked The Fray, and they were just, well, inoffensive. But they didn't sway me at all, and I was willing them off near the end.

But, I really don't want any of you to read my tribute band critique, it's my post about JW's LiB cover that I'm more interested about ;)

I think you missed the point where I said I saw Florence (and Interpol). I thought Interpol was great. I thought Florence was dead boring.

Holy fuck. That was absolute shit imo.

I had to fast forward to get to the solo, which didn't save it for me.

I went back and relistened entirely, to give it a second chance, but it gets a solid two thumbs down from this corner.

Edit: took a third listen, through really good headphones. Still don't like it.

Agreed. Aside the incredibly annoying vocal, the screaming and skipping the solo didn't help.

Edge's version in FTSD is how Love is blindness is done low key/acoustic. Much better.

skipping the solo didn't help.

I love the fact that some people here think that everybody who covers U2 is obligated to replicate the structure of the song 100 per cent. He didn't "skip" the solo. He did his own version of the song.

I don't give a fuck if he skips the solo or not, he probably would do it differently anyways, but I just don't like his take on the song.

I can't believe noone else hears it, but I fully think he should have done ACROBAT instead. He would have been absolutely brilliant on that track. He ruins LIB in my opinion.

I don't give a fuck if he skips the solo or not, he probably would do it differently anyways, but I just don't like his take on the song.

I can't believe noone else hears it, but I fully think he should have done ACROBAT instead. He would have been absolutely brilliant on that track. He ruins LIB in my opinion.

I don't see him doing Acrobat. Of all the songs on Achtung Baby, Love is Blindness seemed the most fitting for him. In fact, this and NIN doing Zoo Station are the only choices that seem really inspiring to me, although I'm hopeful Patti Smith and Depeche Mode could do a good job with their interpretations.

I was shocked by looking at the entire track listing.

Nine Inch Nails ' Zoo Station
U2 (Jacques Lu Cont Mix) ' Even Better Than The Real Thing
Damien Rice ' One
Patti Smith ' Until The End Of The World
Garbage ' Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Depeche Mode ' So Cruel
Snow Patrol ' Mysterious Ways
The Fray ' Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World
Gavin Friday ' The Fly
The Killers ' Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
Glasvegas ' Acrobat
Jack White ' Love Is Blindness

In terms of Jack White's voice he would've fit in great in Zoo Station... Depeche Mode would've done so much better with something more along the lines of Love is Blindness, The Killers would've been better off with Mysterious Ways or Until the End of the World... a few others jump around in my mind...

Either way, I'm still excited for the whole product. This is like... honestly some dreamed up thing that you'd find on a message board.

BBC iPlayer - Listen live - BBC Radio 2

Damien Rice's version of One will be premiered in the next show starting now.

Listening... and damn, I'd better like it, otherwise someone will come in here and tell me "if you don't like it just go listen to U2".

:rolleyes:

I think the point of this thread is to discuss what we think of the cover, but some people are missing that ;)

LuckyNumber7 I did miss that you'd seen Florence... fair enough... if you've seen both then that makes sense. I was with all women at the shows I saw Florence at, maybe she appeals more to us gals, that might be it ;)

I love the fact that some people here think that everybody who covers U2 is obligated to replicate the structure of the song 100 per cent. He didn't "skip" the solo. He did his own version of the song.

It's not about replicating 100 percent (he is clearly not replicating Edge's sound so this point is moot). The point is skipping a guitar solo takes away from the song.

He is more than welcome to put his own spin on the solo. No one said he has to play it exactly like the Edge.

OK... basically I'm saying this, really.

I'm disappointed that Jack White skipped the solo, because he is an incredible guitarist, and I would have liked to hear him do it, and whether I liked it or not, I wanted to hear him TRY.

So, really, can you imagine some super awesome guitarist covering "November Rain" by Guns & Roses and skipping the solo?

Gross example I know, but it's something that has a big huge solo in it, and my point is, it's very odd for a talented guitarist to leave a SOLO out of a song he is covering. If it was just a band who didn't have a stand out guitarist, it would make more sense. But Jack White being a guitarist makes it odd to me that he wouldn't tackle it.

:shrug:

I'm disappointed that Jack White skipped the solo, because he is an incredible guitarist, and I would have liked to hear him do it, and whether I liked it or not, I wanted to hear him TRY.

I agree and this might have saved it for me. I don't love him as a vocalist but I like his guitar work and so was curious to see what he'd do with it.

I'd use Hotel California as an analogy. Although, would you even want to try and fuck with that solo? :hmm:

:wink:

I agree and this might have saved it for me. I don't love him as a vocalist but I like his guitar work and so was curious to see what he'd do with it.

I'd use Hotel California as an analogy. Although, would you even want to try and fuck with that solo? :hmm:

:wink:

Exactly! This is all I'm trying to say. For a guy known for his guitar work, it was weird that he didn't try it. I never even thought of the vocal on first thought... as the Edge freak that I am my very first reaction was "I can't wait to hear JW do that solo!"

So yes, for that reason I was disappointed. I don't like his voice, so I knew I probably wouldn't like the vocal, but I wanted a chance to hear the guitar work.

He's completely changed the lyric to first person....

ie)

Is it getting better
Or do I feel the same
Will it make it easier on me now
I've got someone to blame

etc....

Very pretty instrumental though...

It was kinda boring. The instrumental was pretty. I'm not sure I like changing of the song to the first person. I don't really want to hear it again unlike Jack White's LIB which I've listened to a ton already. To be fair, One isn't my favorite song of the album, and I prefer MJB's version. *ducks to avoid tomatoes*

I liked that much better. However... *ducks* I found him changing the lyric to be distracting. A song that we know so well, and he's changed it to first person. Interesting artistically but it takes away from the beautiful instrumentation. Overall a pretty good cover but I can't see that having regular rotation on my iPod or anything... it's pretty chilled.

haven't heard the "One" cover yet, but i really like that these artists didn't feel pressure to cover these songs verbatim.

Back
Top Bottom