Jack White's Love Is Blindness on Radio 2 tonight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The odd part here is that I'm not even sure what opinions and viewpoints you're referring to because I can't seem to recall much I've said recently, save this topic.

Okay. I thought this was the case before I made my previous post and I should have made the disclaimer back then.... I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to "numbers" (aka 683530 or something...also known (possibly) as the panther)

Sorry for the confusion! :lol:

Okay. I thought this was the case before I made my previous post and I should have made the disclaimer back then.... I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to "numbers" (aka 683530 or something...also known (possibly) as the panther)

Sorry for the confusion! :lol:

:lol: I was wodering that... I've seen Lucky and I've seen Seven/7, but nobody has referred to me as Number yet.

Sometimes opinions can be wrong.

Florence + The Machine got the crowd reaction in Miami that would make Kasabian commit suicide on stage. They were dull and horridly boring. At least people would know a good 4-5 Fray songs.

And now I realize how successfully I've accidentally derailed this thread with an opinion I knew nobody would agree with. Whoops.

It's not bad... but it's not something to be so amazed of...

I want to hear this disc, really. Let's see if Glasvegas can make it into my music files.

I can't imagine it gets more boring than Florence... but I particularly enjoy The Fray. Nothing spectacular... but the same goes for Interpol. And while I understand they [Interpol] aren't exactly the craziest act performing live, they get what I believe is an irrational disliking around here. I would much rather have Interpol than Florence. Perhaps that's because I know and like their music, and I don't know or like any of Florence's music. Which just leads me to the conclusion that if I know and like some Fray music, the same theory would apply (unless they literally sound like a train wreck live).

The question that needs to be asked is: What was the song to you BEFORE you heard the cover? Because if to you it was the guitar solo (like it was to me), he didn't actually cover it. To the non Edge-freaks of the world, the guitar bit that he played was not the full solo at the end, it was the smaller first one.

There are two 'solos' if you will in the song. The first and smaller less passionate one is right after the "almost makes sense..." lyrics. The real solo (and go watch ZooTV as it's much more obvious) is at the end during the "dum dum dum..." outro piece.

The real solo, the passion of the song, is buried slightly in the real version, but it's the centrepiece in Zoo as it should be. And it was this solo that he didn't play - and the part that I most wanted to hear him play. So, quite honestly I have to say... I'm not a fan of this cover, and I'm not going to slobber all over it, because to me, it's kind of like someone covering U2 and not singing the chorus.

The lament, if you will, in this song is truly the guitar solo - the vocal is a build. But that's just how I've always seen it as an Edge fan. The song has always been about his pain at the time to me, so I nearly keeled over when the thing happened in FTSD (without spoiling anyone). It brought home what the song has always meant to me as I've always heard it on a personal level to him.

Jack White put all of his passion into the vocal, and that was really odd to me as he primarily is a guitarist (and a talented one at that). So I'll never really warm to this cover.

However, that being said, this excellent debate we can have about these songs is the reason that I think this cover CD will achieve what it's setting out to do. Can't wait to hear the rest.

Caleb8844 said:
I don't really get the hate for The Fray. I mean, they're nothing that spectacular, but they're also fairly unoffensive:shrug:

Mediocrity shouldn't be defended. :shrug: If anything, complacency is probably the most harmful thing of all.

I can't imagine it gets more boring than Florence... but I particularly enjoy The Fray. Nothing spectacular... but the same goes for Interpol. And while I understand they [Interpol] aren't exactly the craziest act performing live, they get what I believe is an irrational disliking around here. I would much rather have Interpol than Florence. Perhaps that's because I know and like their music, and I don't know or like any of Florence's music. Which just leads me to the conclusion that if I know and like some Fray music, the same theory would apply (unless they literally sound like a train wreck live).

Of the three, I only really knew Interpol's music. It was odd how I saw them all, Interpol was boring - however I knew that going in, I didn't EVER see them opening for U2, they're just not that kind of 'big' band. Florence is an amazing show person - trust me, I bet you'd like her a lot more than you think you would. I thought she was fabulous. She is an absolutely incredible singer. I've never liked The Fray, and they were just, well, inoffensive. But they didn't sway me at all, and I was willing them off near the end.

But, I really don't want any of you to read my tribute band critique, it's my post about JW's LiB cover that I'm more interested about ;)

The question that needs to be asked is: What was the song to you BEFORE you heard the cover? Because if to you it was the guitar solo (like it was to me), he didn't actually cover it. To the non Edge-freaks of the world, the guitar bit that he played was not the full solo at the end, it was the smaller first one.

There are two 'solos' if you will in the song. The first and smaller less passionate one is right after the "almost makes sense..." lyrics. The real solo (and go watch ZooTV as it's much more obvious) is at the end during the "dum dum dum..." outro piece.

The real solo, the passion of the song, is buried slightly in the real version, but it's the centrepiece in Zoo as it should be. And it was this solo that he didn't play - and the part that I most wanted to hear him play. So, quite honestly I have to say... I'm not a fan of this cover, and I'm not going to slobber all over it, because to me, it's kind of like someone covering U2 and not singing the chorus.

The lament, if you will, in this song is truly the guitar solo - the vocal is a build. But that's just how I've always seen it as an Edge fan. The song has always been about his pain at the time to me, so I nearly keeled over when the thing happened in FTSD (without spoiling anyone). It brought home what the song has always meant to me as I've always heard it on a personal level to him.

Jack White put all of his passion into the vocal, and that was really odd to me as he primarily is a guitarist (and a talented one at that). So I'll never really warm to this cover.

However, that being said, this excellent debate we can have about these songs is the reason that I think this cover CD will achieve what it's setting out to do. Can't wait to hear the rest.

I totally agree here. The solo in Love Is Blindness is not just a genuinely incredible guitar solo, it is a heartbreakingly beautiful guitar solo. I think it is just as powerful, if not more so, as Bono's vocals and lyrics. :sad:

That being said, I still enjoyed the power and emotion Jack White brought with this. And I do think with the solo, he could have done a better job with it, but I also think the reason why it is so amazing on AB is because of what it meant to Edge and the reason Edge played with so much power and angst. Jack White obviously doesn't have that same emotional connection with the song, which is why it is a cover. And it's a good one, at that.

god he almost sounds a bit like the guy from Starsailor at times (some of the bits where he's not screaming lol), weird!

i quite like it!

it actually feels like a completely different song to the original :up:

REALLY looking forward to hearing NIN's version of ZooStation, and Patti Smith, ooh and Depeche Mode too :drool:

Seems a bit ridiculous to dismiss it completely because of something that's not there. It's fucking incredible as it is.

What a crying shame artists as lame as The Fray have been chose to cover the other songs. Ughhhh

Shall have to get the folks to mail this to me, I'd love that alone on CD.

Hoping the Nine Inch Nails track does indeed kick ass, then at least it will have awesome bookends.

It seems to me that you had envisioned how this cover should sound like before you even heard it. I think White did a pretty good job with it. If he played the guitar solo note per note as it was on ZooTV, that would make it redundant to my ears. Instead he tried to make the song his own, which is how a successful cover should sound like IMO.

BTW, Edge's work on Love is Blindness, as far as the live versions are concerned, is to me the best guitar solo he ever did. Which makes it one of the best solos I ever heard. And I couldn't care less if Jack White didn't decide to incorporate it in his version. But as much as I love that solo, it is not just that that makes that song a masterpiece. Out of all the lyrics Bono has written about The Troubles, this - arguably his most ambiguous one, one that could be easily interpreted differently, is the one I consider to be the most poignant one. Although Sunday Bloody Sunday, Please and North and South of the River aren't bad at all!

Now where is Reznor's Zoo Station?

djerdap said:
It seems to me that you had envisioned how this cover should sound like before you even heard it. I think White did a pretty good job with it. If he played the guitar solo note per note as it was on ZooTV, that would make it redundant to my ears. Instead he tried to make the song his own, which is how a successful cover should sound like IMO.

:up:

I really respect Jack White as an artist and I'm really happy he made the cover totally his own, but honestly for me, once is probably enough. For me the beauty of the song is how heartbreaking it is, with the aching guitar and vocals. That's why I love it so much. Jack White's version is all passionate anger, which he owns and that's great, but it's not my thing in this case.

Damien Rice's take on One should also be interesting - if there's anyone that can do a bitter twisted love/break-up song, it's him - it's his speciality! :D (i love him btw :heart:)

I really like this song/version. Actually sounds a bit Starsailor-ish. I'm pleased he didn't just try to recreate the U2 version.

glad i'm not the only one who was hearing Starsailor in there haha

i remember seeing Starsailor open for U2 in 2005 and if I hear any elements of that band in this cover of Love Is Blindless simply because you guys put it in my head..i will NOT be happy :wink:

Holy fuck. That was absolute shit imo.

I had to fast forward to get to the solo, which didn't save it for me.

I went back and relistened entirely, to give it a second chance, but it gets a solid two thumbs down from this corner.

Edit: took a third listen, through really good headphones. Still don't like it.

I like it...

It captures the manic-ness of the Zoo era and White seems to be channeling the mirrorball man in his delivery...

Finally got around to listening to this... it sounds exactly like what I would expect Jack White covering "Love is Blindness" to sound like.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom