"I've seen you walk unafraid" is a R.E.M. reference

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LyricalDrug

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Don't think I've ever heard this connection made before, so figured I'd post it. In "City of Blinding Lights," Bono sings, "I've seen you walk unafraid," and "Walk Unafraid" is the title of a song by R.E.M. Cool

:D

U2 like doing this. WGRYWH and Exit both name-check Drive. And they came out BEFORE Drive! Bono is a prophet.

Don't think I've ever heard this connection made before, so figured I'd post it. In "City of Blinding Lights," Bono sings, "I've seen you walk unafraid," and "Walk Unafraid" is the title of a song by R.E.M. Cool

:D

You may have a good point with this because both bands are v good friends, I also believe R.E.M's song "Hope" from there 1998 album "Up"`[the same album that features Walk Unafraid] was a major influence on U2's song "Levitate" from the ATYCLB sesions in 2000,

There two amazing songwriters who Im have influenced each other many times!

You may have a good point with this because both bands are v good friends, I also believe R.E.M's song "Hope" from there 1998 album "Up"`[the same album that features Walk Unafraid] was a major influence on U2's song "Levitate" from the ATYCLB sesions in 2000,

There two amazing songwriters who Im have influenced each other many times!

Hope was clearly inspired by Leonard Cohen's Suzanne.

REM is such a phenomenal band! On some days I like them more than U2.

Some days are better than others...

On a somewhat related note though, isn't the name of that tree a reference to a U2 album?

Maybe?

I don't think he deliberately used that, but I do remember reading at the time Walk Unafraid is about Bono.

Don't forget, the word "and" in With or Without You is a clear reference to Andy Summers of the Police, who they are paying tribute to in that song.

There was an interview with Michael Stipe around the release of Up (I think it was Charlie Rose) where he talked about influences, and he talked about how Patti Smith and Bono were instrumental in him writing from a braver place, and that Walk Unafraid was about that to an extent.

So Bono was really referencing a song that he himself helped create.

In other words, it's a symbiotic relationship.

Huh, I didn't know that, "Walk Unafraid" is definitely one of my favorite R.E.M. songs though.

There was also a brief Rolling Stone interview with Stipe where he said Bono had helped him in some way write Walk Unafraid. Something about getting over writer's block, Bono giving him an idea that led to him writing it. Its been a while, I don't remember it exactly.

There was also a brief Rolling Stone interview with Stipe where he said Bono had helped him in some way write Walk Unafraid. Something about getting over writer's block, Bono giving him an idea that led to him writing it. Its been a while, I don't remember it exactly.

I knew I wasn't crazy!!!!

I read the same thing years ago but never saw it verified elsewhere.

Thought maybe I was mistaken.

Great REM song.

Back
Top Bottom