It's a private show...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I mean - how do people fall for something so fucking obvious every year?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I mean - how do people fall for something so fucking obvious every year?

Not so fast.

Atu2.com has this update:

Like many of you, we originally suspected this might be someone playing an April Fools' Day joke, but that doesn't appear to be the case. After doing some digging, and as we've reported on our Tours page, we believe the event was a late 50th birthday party for Apple design chief (and Friend Of Bono) Jony Ive. "Spike," the original source of information on Twitter and Instagram, is Richard "Spike" Holifield, who played bass on Sinead O'Connor's album, The Lion And The Cobra. He's now deleted all of his posts and photos from the event, but you can still see them on Storify. We'll leave our original story in tact below, but the links to individual tweets won't work, nor will the embedded Instagram photo show up.

Nice find U2girl, seems to be confirmed as legit!

Am I missing something? What is the confirmation? That the guy erased the tweets?

I'm not saying it can't be true, it's just rather odd.

Adam just happens to forget his bass.
The only one they could find was from a guy who's whole bio is he played on a 30 something year old album?
Not one other single guest Instagramed or tweeted about it?
And then Dallas' note; is he always in the habit of texting setlists?

Am I missing something? What is the confirmation? That the guy erased the tweets?

I'm not saying it can't be true, it's just rather odd.

Adam just happens to forget his bass.
The only one they could find was from a guy who's whole bio is he played on a 30 something year old album?
Not one other single guest Instagramed or tweeted about it?
And then Dallas' note; is he always in the habit of texting setlists?

I'm basing it on the fact that @U2 feels it's legit and I trust them as a source. Perhaps it turns out to be wrong...then so be it but as of now it appears to be legit.

If it were an April Fools joke, someone would have come forward by now as is customary with April Fools edict!

I'm basing it on the fact that @U2 feels it's legit and I trust them as a source. Perhaps it turns out to be wrong...then so be it but as of now it appears to be legit.

If it were an April Fools joke, someone would have come forward by now as is customary with April Fools edict!

I gotcha.

I'm still skeptical, it's a rather odd story, but hey it's U2 :shrug:

4 hours ago:
Dave Swift Jools Holland's bassist
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSdsGA9Fw5E/?taken-by=daveswiftbass

"One of the many things I love about being Jools Holland's full time bassist is, I never know who I'm going to be asked to play with next! At a private gig this past weekend, I was asked to play bass for Bob Geldof, Marc Almond, Lily Allen & Bono! Here's a pic I took behind the scenes during a last minute rehearsal. Here you can see Jools, Bono and The Edge (far left) If you look carefully, you'll also spot our very own Ruby Turner. U2 were on after us, so I managed to have a chat with bassist Adam Clayton. He was due to borrow one of my vintage Ibanez Musician basses (he used these himself back in the 80's) but I believe he ended up using a Fender supplied by the venue. What an incredible night, and yes, I really do love my job! "

This is just something they did for the hell of it for a friend. It's not like the CEO of Philip-Morris hired them to play his granddaughters birthday party. Everyone needs to chill.

In 2008 or so, R.E.M. once played at a crew members wedding reception in a bowling alley, and it was the last time the 4 original members of R.E.M. ever played together in public.

Edit: that R.E.M. bowling alley thing actually happened in 2005. The last time the original 4 played together was the rock n roll induction in 2007. For those who care about rem

Last edited:
This is just something they did for the hell of it for a friend. It's not like the CEO of Philip-Morris hired them to play his granddaughters birthday party. Everyone needs to chill.

"Weddings... funerals... bar mitzvahs.... this band is available!"

In 2008 or so, R.E.M. once played at a crew members wedding reception in a bowling alley, and it was the last time the 4 original members of R.E.M. ever played together in public.

Edit: that R.E.M. bowling alley thing actually happened in 2005. The last time the original 4 played together was the rock n roll induction in 2007. For those who care about rem

Did you think people were upset that they did this?

Did you think people were upset that they did this?

My apologies, I'm on the wrong forum. The peeps over @ @u2 were jumping off the cliffs, saying that they should hang it up if they're going to "sell out" and do private events, like the Stones do.

They're a more serious and literal bunch over there on @u2.

My apologies, I'm on the wrong forum. The peeps over @ @u2 were jumping off the cliffs, saying that they should hang it up if they're going to "sell out" and do private events, like the Stones do.

They're a more serious and literal bunch over there on @u2.

Probably why I never returned after my initial visit, can't even remember my screen name :scratch:

Back
Top Bottom