Isle of Wight 2009 Headliners: U2, Oasis & The Prodigy (God exists if this is real)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't normally get involved with gossip and tittle and tattle....BUT...my brother, who lives on the IOW is friends with one of the main organisers of the festival, and he has been consistently saying that U2 were the top of their wishlist and was very confident that they could get them, as well as Oasis. As the year has gone on he has become more confident, my bro hasn't seen him this month so I don't know anything concrete.....

Only great ones are The Coral, Stereophonics and soon Kasabian

others have had decent albums but then mess up

You forgot about The White Stripes, The Enemy (this one especially), Kaiser Chiefs, Elbow...

just to name a few.

You forgot about The White Stripes, The Enemy (this one especially), Kaiser Chiefs, Elbow...

just to name a few.

Kaisers are awful:down:

But i did forget Starsailor and The Doves:up:

There have been no truly massive bands that have gripped a nation - Oasis are the last great band the UK has produced where the affection was not just about the music - Coldplay are huge but they dont mean anything to people. Oasis is a way of life. Its a religion.

Springsteen used to have the same "doesn't do festivals" policy as U2. Now he is apparently doing Pinkpop, Glastonbury and Bonaroo.

If the announce U2 after tickets are sold out, which plausibe for major fests, then they can't dominate. For U2 it would keep the front row full of fresh faces, which they have complained about before.

There have been no truly massive bands that have gripped a nation - Oasis are the last great band the UK has produced where the affection was not just about the music - Coldplay are huge but they dont mean anything to people. Oasis is a way of life. Its a religion.

Yeah I agree with you on this one I must say. Unless you live in Britain its hard to fathom the love with which Oasis are held by people. I agree that the situation between Oasis and Coldplay is similar in a way that I imagine The Smiths and U2 were viewed back in the day - U2 being huge but not meaning as much to people as The Smiths or instance (thats said in a neutral, devils-advocate way, I love both bands and no band means more to me than U2). I never thought much of Starsailor until I saw them supporting Roger Waters at Hyde Park a few years ago now and they were very impressive.

In terms of new bands I'd say The Enemy have a long way to go - they have a few catchy tunes but are essentially The Jam-wannabes. I personally cannot stand bands like Kaiser Chiefs, Keane, Kooks (alliteration entirely unintended!)

One 'new' band that I really liked for a while was The Music, they had so much potential but kinda wasted their chance at the big time for various reasons - although I believe their third album comes out this year. Mainly though, the band I've most enjoyed who are new are Kasabian - great live and very original. I'm really looking forward to their new album this year.

No mention of Robbie Williams!!! I'm shocked!

Festival News: U2 set for Isle Of Wight Festival? - Arctic Monkeys, Green Day for Reading & Leeds? | Virtual Festivals

"bono and co are said to be joining the prodigy, who were confirmed on wednesday (21 january), and oasis, who virtual festivals exclusively revealed as headliners back in october last year.

The Daily Star also suggested that green day and arctic monkeys will top the bill at reading and leeds along with kings of leon, who vf announced as headliners in november."

:doh: :D

I cant see that as being true, hopefully it is though and I'll have to look into getting tickets.

Hey enajh2, I'm at Loughborough as well!! You at the University?? :wave: Small world.

One 'new' band that I really liked for a while was The Music, they had so much potential but kinda wasted their chance at the big time for various reasons - although I believe their third album comes out this year. Mainly though, the band I've most enjoyed who are new are Kasabian - great live and very original. I'm really looking forward to their new album this year.

The Music's third album came last year in June. :wave:
And Kasabian is great! :hyper:

the only way I see this happening, is part of a warm-up/promotional tour for their European Tour..

Furthermore, there is also strong gossip they will perform at the Dutch Pinkpop festival (May 31st - June 2nd), although I do not believe this

Well aside from the Isle of Wight

looks like Benicassim in Spain are the frontrunners for best line up at a festival so far

Headliners = Oasis, Kings of Leon, Franz Ferdinand and The Killers
Paul Weller will also be there on the friday before Kings of Leon

Dont think Franz deserve to headline though

the only way I see this happening, is part of a warm-up/promotional tour for their European Tour..

Furthermore, there is also strong gossip they will perform at the Dutch Pinkpop festival (May 31st - June 2nd), although I do not believe this

I heard that too. I really don't see it happen as they were at Pinkpop in the 80s. But yeah, Bruce is there too... You can never be sure...

Back
Top Bottom