Is songs of experience a commentary on depression?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pop_mofo

Acrobat
Listening to Your the best thing about me and 13 really struck me today. I know they are letters but I am wondering if the life crisis that Bono faced was a suicide attempt or thought. May sound crazy, but the lyrics really struck me that way today. Glad he and the band are ok, but some of the images really struck me that way. Anyway, rant over.

Sometimes
I can't believe my existence
I see myself from a distance
I can't get back inside
Sometimes
The air is so anxious
All my thoughts are so reckless
And all my innocence has died
Sometimes
I wake at four in the morning
Where all the darkness is swarming
And it covers me in fear
Sometimes
Sometimes
Sometimes
Sometimes
I'm full of anger and grieving
So far away from believing
That any song will reappear
Sometimes
The end is not coming
It's not coming
The end is here
Sometimes
Sometimes
Sometimes
Sometimes
Sometimes
When the painted glass shatters
And you're the only thing matters
But I can't see you through the tears
Sometimes
The end isn't coming
It's not coming
The end is here
Sometimes

This album is suffering from “latest U2 album” syndrome. People are overly critical.

It has its obvious clunky points, but these kind of layers, and the strength of good chunks of the lyrics make it a very solid late career effort.

When you think about it, Bono has had a rough decade.

- iTunes backlash
- Bike Crash
- Major Health Scare
- Physical Aging
- State of Politics
- Pandemic

Some of these affect all of us, but it’s not like he’s had it easy over the last 10 years.

IMO, the state of politics should’ve made it easy on him/his songwriting/live presentation, but he too often tries to have it both ways.

He's always had a touch of depression in a lot of his lyrics. It's part of why I'm very interested in the autobiography, whenever it is that it finally comes out. I think there's more there than we know

Bono get shit on a lot, often unfairly by cynical jerks, and has for his entire career.

It can’t not have affected him.

Granted, he’s achieved many things upon which to build a healthy self-regard.

He's always had a touch of depression in a lot of his lyrics. It's part of why I'm very interested in the autobiography, whenever it is that it finally comes out. I think there's more there than we know
Completely agree. I may have overreacted a bit in my original post but some lyrics really struck me last night. I was re watching the BBC special and 13, in particular, stood out and really sold on that theme.

Absolutely! It's been there from the beginning and I'd be very interested to see it expanded upon if he so chooses in that autobiography.

I do feel that SOE is more of a commentary, directly and personally, on mental health and depression specifically than anything before it.

It stood out to me immediately at first listen. Showman, Little Things, 13. Best Thing "when you look so good the pain in your face doesn't show," of course, but also the video. Getting lost in the lights and bustle of NYC as a way of escaping those feelings for a little bit. At least that's how I interpreted it. "Blackout" is political, sure, but also personal and to me, could be someone desperately attempting to learn to claw oneself back from the darkness. "Learn to see....." Dealing with the lows, learning what works as a coping strategy, etc, etc.

In fact, the run from The Showman through to 13 could be seen as a long narrative on the topic. The facade we put up (showman) What it feels like at its lowest points (little things). The loved ones who we come back to for comfort and support (landlady). Finding one's way back from the darkness and/or learning to live with it (blackout). Reminding ourselves and others that life is finite, but love is forever and transcends all (love is bigger). Accepting the darkness and your attempts to work through it and advising others that there's always a light. Even when it appears hopeless (13).

Bono get shit on a lot, often unfairly by cynical jerks, and has for his entire career.

It can’t not have affected him.

Granted, he’s achieved many things upon which to build a healthy self-regard.

For sure.

I don't know anyone who is more misunderstood or shit on more unfairly.

At this point, it's just a cheap and predictable way for commentators and critics to score points.

Did you see the recent Guardian article on the "I can't stand our songs" comments?! They blew the entire thing up into tax evasion, Bono thinking Africa needs him and other rich celebrities to "save it" on and on and on.

I thought the comments he made were stupid. I mean, we all know he's said similar before because we're super fans. We all know what he means by them. But this was not the time to make them again. In this environment.

I get that he doesn't like the way he sounded when he was 20. Enough already, though. Never mind Vertigo. I rate it way higher than most here. It's not quite BD, but I happen to think it was their last hit for a damn good reason. If Bono can go back and listen to NYD then Get out of your own way next and honestly tell us he hates NYD, I don't know what to tell him.

Anyways, I digress. Point is, I was pissed at him when he made the comments a few days ago. I read that Guardian article and then did a 180. I was pissed at THEM and felt bad for Bono. Why? Because there is this over-the-top vitriol every time he opens his mouth. That to me, is way more off putting than anything Bono says or does.

It's just disappointing and sad. I'll never lose sleep over it as Bono will be the first to tell you his life is way better than he or anyone else ever dreamed it would be. You and I have a hell of a lot more to worry about than he ever will. I'd just like fairness. It's quite noticeable how the people in pop culture/media who actually interact with Bono and U2 as a whole on the regular absolutely love them. Kimmell, Fallon, etc. Ditto for anyone who has ever met Bono. I met him back in 2009 when I worked concert security.

Much more importantly, I met many people in the industry who have known him over the years and they all confirmed my impression of the man from our brief conversation was accurate. Polite, humble, down to Earth and thoughtful. I was standing at a back door to the Somerville Theater. It was 38 degrees and heavy mist.

About the worst possible weather. When Bono exited the Suburban, my first image of him was walking through a sea of cops and shaking every hand. He then specifically noticed and greeted various Boston industry people who were there waiting. LiveNation all the way down to radio stations. Then he must've signed for all 100 or so fans waiting at the barricades because he was out of my site for an hour before coming inside. Edge and Adam joined him for a while.

I didn't see that from anyone else over 5 years in that job. And you can name the big act that toured from 2006-2011 and I likely saw or met them.

Last edited:
i never thought Blackout was political. People just assumed that because of the quote about going back to rewrite things based on the US election and the "democracy is flat on its back" line.

i actually think Blackout specifically addresses the aftermath of the SOI release - from the backlash from the iTunes debacle (which had to hurt when SOI was such a personal record lyrically) to the bike crash.

think of the song in that vein and then go back and re-read the lyrics.

Last edited:
i never thought Blackout was political. People just assumed that because of the quote about going back to rewrite things based on the US election and the "democracy is flat on its back" line.

i actually think Blackout specifically addresses the aftermath of the SOI release - from the backlash from the iTunes debacle (which had to hurt when SOI was such a personal record lyrically) to the bike crash.

think of the song in that vein and then go back and re-read the lyrics.

The last-minute shoehorning BS replaced what was probably a more interesting personal lyric. Meanwhile, while the vocals on the change in Little Things (from “tasks are so thankless” to “thoughts are so wreckless”) stick out like a sore thumb, the lyric itself was an improvement.

The last-minute shoehorning BS replaced what was probably a more interesting personal lyric. Meanwhile, while the vocals on the change in Little Things (from “tasks are so thankless” to “thoughts are so wreckless”) stick out like a sore thumb, the lyric itself was an improvement.

i don't necessarily think the democracy in Blackout is political. there is also democracy within a band - especially one that has prided itself on having each member have an equal say, equal cut, etc.

i think the political shoehorning was limited to Get Out and American Soul.

Listening to Your the best thing about me and 13 really struck me today. I know they are letters but I am wondering if the life crisis that Bono faced was a suicide attempt or thought. May sound crazy, but the lyrics really struck me that way today. Glad he and the band are ok, but some of the images really struck me that way. Anyway, rant over.

I have zero idea if it was as drastic as what you referred to, but I've always felt that depression ran wild over that album.

I don't want to get too down and dreary, but this has actually always been my take from the album as well. There's something about "Red Flag Day" I can't put my finger on, that's always made me think that he may have tried to kill himself. I think it's these lyrics that always take me there:

"Baby, it's a red flag day
Baby let's go a bit further
Paradise is a place
You can't see when it's yours"

There's this obvious recklessness, as you should absolutely not go in the water at all if it's a red flag day, and then there's the idea of realizing you don't know what you have until it's too late. Just makes me think he tried to do something and he's grateful he didn't succeed.

I usually shy away from getting too personal into the band's lyrical decisions, but I have never been able to shake that thought with regards to this album.

i don't necessarily think the democracy in Blackout is political. there is also democracy within a band - especially one that has prided itself on having each member have an equal say, equal cut, etc.

i think the political shoehorning was limited to Get Out and American Soul.

To me, it’s the one line that sticks out. It’s not bad, just sticks out. The rest of the song is pretty cohesive.

That those two songs got played at every EI show in the US is a travesty nearly as bad as Bono retconning Little Things into the story of a Trump voter. For fuck’s sake!

I don't want to get too down and dreary, but this has actually always been my take from the album as well. There's something about "Red Flag Day" I can't put my finger on, that's always made me think that he may have tried to kill himself. I think it's these lyrics that always take me there:

"Baby, it's a red flag day
Baby let's go a bit further
Paradise is a place
You can't see when it's yours"

There's this obvious recklessness, as you should absolutely not go in the water at all if it's a red flag day, and then there's the idea of realizing you don't know what you have until it's too late. Just makes me think he tried to do something and he's grateful he didn't succeed.

I usually shy away from getting too personal into the band's lyrical decisions, but I have never been able to shake that thought with regards to this album.

I don't know If Red Flag Day would be the song I'd point to as an example, was pretty clearly about Syrian refugees risking their lives in dangerous seas to escape to Europe:
“Red Flag Day” and “Summer of Love” reference the refugee crisis in Europe. “Two songs that have a similar theme,” says Bono “about people running for their lives on the same Mediterranean that we’re running through the shallows

I don't know If Red Flag Day would be the song I'd point to as an example, was pretty clearly about Syrian refugees risking their lives in dangerous seas to escape to Europe:

WTF. This is one of those situations where I hear what the person who wrote the song is saying, and yet I still refuse to believe that's what the song is actually about.

WTF. This is one of those situations where I hear what the person who wrote the song is saying, and yet I still refuse to believe that's what the song is actually about.

Eh, I take him at his word here, Lyrics are fairly on the nose when you listen in the aforementioned context.

Ehhhh, it’s pretty clear IMO. And one of the most effective magic tricks of uptempo music and depressing storytelling they’ve put together in awhile. The 80s crescendo of “nooo!” is perfect.

Eh, I take him at his word here, Lyrics are fairly on the nose when you listen in the aforementioned context.

Yeah, but I mean, like, and "The Unforgettable Fire" makes reference to the bombings of Nagasaki and Hiroshima, but it's also about other stuff too.

I don't even feel like Bono's that clear that it's definitively what the song's about in the quote you used:

“Red Flag Day” and “Summer of Love” reference the refugee crisis in Europe. “Two songs that have a similar theme,” says Bono “about people running for their lives on the same Mediterranean that we’re running through the shallows

He says he's referencing it. Especially, from what I'm reading, in a way of saying like I was, of the idea you don't get what you have. Namely that he and his family play around in beaches that other people are using to save their lives. So there's still definitely some depression in there.

Anyways, like I said in the first place, it's just something I felt very strongly after I first heard the song. It's not even clearly there in the lyrics.

I need to go back to Songs of Experience and see what's really there. After listening to it for the first time last year (?), a couple songs were so embarrassingly bad that I deleted them out of existence (mainly for their pathetic attempt at trendy-sounding auto-tune, an utter disgrace), so I'll never listen to those again. But the majority of the album I've heard only 2 or 3 times and I need to get a better sense of it.

"You're The Best Thing About Me" is a nice tune rendered as a ball-of-cheese lyric and production job, but at least there's a nice tune.

However, "Red Flag Day" and the immortal "The Little Things That Give You Away" are stunning.

I need to go back to Songs of Experience and see what's really there. After listening to it for the first time last year (?), a couple songs were so embarrassingly bad that I deleted them out of existence (mainly for their pathetic attempt at trendy-sounding auto-tune, an utter disgrace), so I'll never listen to those again. But the majority of the album I've heard only 2 or 3 times and I need to get a better sense of it.

"You're The Best Thing About Me" is a nice tune rendered as a ball-of-cheese lyric and production job, but at least there's a nice tune.

However, "Red Flag Day" and the immortal "The Little Things That Give You Away" are stunning.

If you're referring to "Love Is All We Have Left" .... I recommend you listen again with fresh ears. The vocal works at setting quite the tone to start the album and segues perfectly into LIGHTS OF HOME. Such a great 1-2 punch.

man getting that upset over two lines of using some effects on Bono's voice is silly when there's a perfectly fine american soul to get upset at instead.

oh and btw - it's a vocoder, not auto-tune. it's adding a robotic effect, not fixing his pitch. why would he fix his pitch when he's also singing with himself in harmony in the correct pitch? at least bitch about the correct thing if you're going to bitch.

Back
Top Bottom