"Is it better to burn out than to fade away?" as it pertains to U2...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
"Is it better to burn out than to fade away?" is a question that has often been debated, either in reference to specific bands or just in general. I want to discuss it as it pertains to U2.

What I'm going to do is lay out four scenarios in which U2 retire prior to the present.

1.Imagine this: After Bono's 1989 "dream it all up again" speech, the band is never able to make an album they're happy with, despite trying, so they announce that they are splitting up, without ever releasing new material again.

2.Imagine this: ZooTV ends at the end of 1993, having been one of the most successful and groundbreaking tours in the history of rock, having been centered around what is considered the band's second masterpiece, and by many their finest masterpiece. Their most recent LP is the quickly recorded mid-tour follow up to said second masterpiece, the "Zooropa" record. At this point, in early 1994, U2 announce that they are splitting up because they want to go out on top. This is my ultimate "burn out" scenario.

3.Imagine this: Popmart ends in the middle of 1998, not quite as successful as ZooTV, and the record it is centered around has had a disappointing reception, though the hard core fans love it anyway. Years of touring and smoking have taken their toll on Bono, and his voice is much weaker than it was just a few years ago. Disillusioned and tired, U2 announce they are splitting up because they feel like they've reached the end of the road.

4.Imagine this: Elevation ends at the end of 2001, with ATYCLB being hailed by the press as the band's third masterpiece, and being a comforting record for many in the wake of the 9/11 attacks. Considering that this record and tour had been more successful than they had ever imagined it would be, that all of the success of 2000 and 2001 had been in spite of fading relevance as far as the younger crowd goes and not because of it, and feeling that they're not spring chickens anymore, and like they individually all have other things they want to do, U2 announce their retirement.

The first two scenarios are of the "burn out" variety, where the last two are more of the "fade away" variety.

My question is this: If U2 had indeed split up at each of these points - one arguably before they had fully realized their potential, one at arguably their creative, artistic, and commercial peak, one at a psychological lowpoint at which their artistic and creative energy was beginning to fade, and one at a point where they had put out arguably the best record they could have at age 40, having squeaked out one last set of great songs despite having been in fade out mode for half a decade and wanted to quit before they faded away even more - would they be remembered differently than if they had retired now? Would their legacy be improved or tarnished compared to what it is now if they had retired then? Would history look upon them differently if they had retired at that point instead of now? If so, how?

Try to answer these questions for each of the four scenarios I laid out. I think this would make for an interesting discussion, because it's not about comparing one album to another to another, it's about looking at U2's career and output as a whole with different endpoints and thinking about how their legacy, the way history would view the band, the way the industry would see the band, how they would be remembered by U2 fans, how they would be remembered by general music fans(who might only be casual U2 fans), and the band's influence on the industry, would change as those endpoints change. It's about how the different endpoints affect the way the whole looks.

:)

I would have liked the second scenario. As a huge Police fan, I'd prefer bands to stop when they are on top. They were never going to top TUF, TJT, AB or Zooropa.

Had they retired after ZooTV, they would have left with an amazing legacy of creativity and beautiful albums. I think Pop, ATYCLB and Bomb have destroyed that potential legacy. It is like 'U2 was a great band but..." Had they ended after ZooTV there would be no 'yeah, but...'

OK, here goes...

1. Imagine this: After Bono's 1989 "dream it all up again" speech

(Am I the only one who thinks way too much has been made of the "dream it all again" speech? It's obvious when you hear it that Bono is making it up as he goes along; they played further Lovetown gigs just days later in Holland).
There's nothing good to come of breaking up here. I suppose it would have saved their legacy with the 80s Christian Rock fans who thought they lost it after they embraced irony and reality. Honesty, if they had broken up after that, they would be remembered as an "80s" band to the same extent that Wham!, The Replacements, or Frankie Goes To Hollywood are (though not in the same way!).

2. Imagine this: ZooTV ends at the end of 1993

I can see why this is attractive -- they haven't really topped this period, and aren't likely to. So they go out on top, still young and at their prime.

This would suit me well enough, though I am a major fan of their newer work. Stopping here would rescue them from the fate of being labelled an 80s' band, and would leave a larger and more diverse legacy.

3. Imagine this: Popmart ends in the middle of 1998

Well, I think this would have been the worst place to quit because they clearly were not at their best in 1997. There was a lot of ground to be regained, and they were up to the challenge, as history proved. It's better to go out on a high than at a (relative) low.

4. Imagine this: Elevation ends at the end of 2001

Things did feel very complete to me after 2001. It did feel like the guys had come full circle, and if they had wanted to retire and just play down at the local Dub Pub after that year, who would have blamed them? But I'm a big fan of the Atomic Bomb album and tour, so I don't know if there would be any point in quitting then with another great project beckoning.

So, in conclusion, the most romantic and artistically satisfying time to quit, the time that would have most cemented their legacy (if such things are important) would have been after 1993. But, all things considered, I'm glad they're still going now. I don't think they've lost anything; they're just not as ambitious and edgy as before (which is natural in middle-age).

They're kind of like Mark Messier in 1996 as opposed to in 1986 (non-Canadians and non-New Yorkers, please excuse the hockey reference).

I want to add that if the band had ended in 1993, a lot of younger people would worship them like Pink Floyd is these days. I think U2 in two or three decades won't be considered among rock's best because of Pop and the 2000's material.

I want to add that if the band had ended in 1993, a lot of younger people would worship them like Pink Floyd is these days. I think U2 in two or three decades won't be considered among rock's best because of Pop and the 2000's material.

I think that is true. Perhaps not worshiped, but yeah.

I choose option #2. And then they still would've done Passengers, as that's not a U2 thing. Then Bono would've gone off and been a full-time humanitarian, Edge would've been a producer, Adam would live naked in his glass mansion, and Larry and McGuine$$ would try their hand at making a supergroup. Then in 2000, they'd have released a box set of all their albums, b-sides, and rarities (including songs like the Zooropa version of Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me and Wake Up Dead Man).

That's a horrible example. Pink Floyd weren't able to record a good album after The Wall. I understand what you're trying to say, but it doesn't fit; very, very few artists have a perfect set of albums (Zeppelin are adored, and everything they recorded after Physical Graffiti is considered mediocre by the general public), and Pink Floyd certainly isn't one of them. U2's legacy will be fine, especially with beloved songs (that are relatively recent) like Beautiful Day under their belts.

That's a horrible example. Pink Floyd weren't able to record a good album after The Wall. I understand what you're trying to say, but it doesn't fit; very, very few artists have a perfect set of albums (Zeppelin are adored, and everything they recorded after Physical Graffiti is considered mediocre by the general public), and Pink Floyd certainly isn't one of them. U2's legacy will be fine, especially with beloved songs (that are relatively recent) like Beautiful Day under their belts.

The difference is that Zeppelin and Floyd were still making creative albums with some of their most creative work. U2 can't say that. In the future people will hear ATYCLB and Bomb thinking this is shit. Plus U2's peak work can't stand up to the best work of those two bands.

Like the Rolling Stones' legacy. :D
Then again, U2 quitting after Zooropa would be like if Radiohead quit after Kid A's tour, Oasis quit after What's The Story, Morning Glory, Led Zeppelin quit after IV, Pink Floyd quit after Wish You Were Here, Aerosmith quit after their debut, etc.

The difference is that Zeppelin and Floyd were still making creative albums with some of their most creative work. U2 can't say that. In the future people will hear ATYCLB and Bomb thinking this is shit. Plus U2's peak work can't stand up to the best work of those two bands.

Not to play devil's advocate, but some people will not think those albums are shit. I don't think they're shit. I just think they're severe underachievers in a catalogue of greatness. Like the final Zeppelin and Floyd albums. :shrug:

David Gilmour's Pink Floyd is a sad retread of earlier material, shined up until it's barely recognizable (where does that sound familiar?), while Final Cut is essentially a solo record. Presence is Zeppelin bloated even further, with only a couple of classic tracks on it. I'll give you In Through The Out Door...it's certainly an unusual record for the band, though I wouldn't call it one of their best. And whether or not Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree can match up to the classics of those two bands is up for debate, since they're from an entirely different era.

Also, Pop is one of U2's most creative outings. I can't believe you overlooked that.

Not to play devil's advocate, but some people will not think those albums are shit. I don't think they're shit. I just think they're severe underachievers in a catalogue of greatness. Like the final Zeppelin and Floyd albums. :shrug:

I'm talking about people in two or three decades that haven't heard these albums before. I think after the band retires there will be a lot more critical opinions on certain albums. Bomb and ATYCLB have lost something with age whereas The Final Cut and The Division Bell have sort of gained something over time.

I think I like Screwy's first point. But I'd also like to add that I don't like any of those scenarios. I'm happy as Larry (okay, that's a cliche that definitely does not work on this site :wink: ) that they're still going and I think their last two efforts are great, though I can see where Screwy is coming from, even if Lemel sort of pwned him with his reply.

And I agree completely with 65980's post. :up: The *best* time to retire probably would have been after Achtung/ZootV/Zooropa, and the *worst* would have been after Pop/Popmart, but having said all that I'm still very glad they're here today.

And besides, if they hadn't made the last two, specifically Bomb, then would I even be into them? Not sure. Probably not, and I wouldn't have discovered all this great other music and we wouldn't be discussing this right here and now. :)

Last edited:
I'm talking about people in two or three decades that haven't heard these albums before. I think after the band retires there will be a lot more critical opinions on certain albums. Bomb and ATYCLB have lost something with age whereas The Final Cut and The Division Bell have sort of gained something over time.

Although I haven't heard either of those Pink Floyd albums, I've generally heard from most people that they're kind of a waste of time (i.e., some people think they're shit). However, you enjoy them. The same will be true of ATYCLB and HTDAAB. Some people will say they're a waste of time (again, shit). But others, will think (as you do of the Floyd albums) they've gained something over time. :hmm:

Although I haven't heard either of those Pink Floyd albums, I've generally heard from most people that they're kind of a waste of time (i.e., some people think they're shit). However, you enjoy them. The same will be true of ATYCLB and HTDAAB. Some people will say they're a waste of time (again, shit). But others, will think (as you do of the Floyd albums) they've gained something over time. :hmm:

You really should listen to The Division Bell and The Final Cut.

You really should listen to The Division Bell and The Final Cut.

My point, however, was that music is subjective, and that some people's shit is other people's treasure. Whether I listen to those albums or not doesn't change the point I'm trying to get across.

:up: :love:

Subjectivity is a concept that very few people on here seem to comprehend.

Yes. It really, really is. And that's not a dig at any individual--that's a dig at all of us (myself included, for my undying promotion of my favourite band [see sig]).

Like the Rolling Stones' legacy. :D
Then again, U2 quitting after Zooropa would be like if Radiohead quit after Kid A's tour, Oasis quit after What's The Story, Morning Glory, Led Zeppelin quit after IV, Pink Floyd quit after Wish You Were Here, Aerosmith quit after their debut, etc.

Oasis should have definitely quit after morning glory!!

now if the boys from the north side of dublin had called it quits after any of those scenarios, we'd all be on here arguing the artistic merits of all the pass albums and wondering what an album would sound like if they decided to get back together.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:up: :love:

Subjectivity is a concept that very few people on here seem to comprehend.

Subjectivity only works if you agree with me.

What would the young Paul Hewson of Red Rocks think of the old Paul Hewson on George Bush vists?

U2 are bigger than ever now, not in spite of, but BECAUSE of their last two albums. A lot of younger bands are compared to U2. Future generations will mostly get to know the U2 that became big again in the 00s. ATYCLB was one of their strongest albums and has a lasting and universal appeal, no matter what some fans may think of it. So I'd say the chances U2 will be remembered for that and their recent tours are pretty good.

1.Imagine this: After Bono's 1989 "dream it all up again" speech, the band is never able to make an album they're happy with, despite trying, so they announce that they are splitting up, without ever releasing new material again.

2.Imagine this: ZooTV ends at the end of 1993, having been one of the most successful and groundbreaking tours in the history of rock, having been centered around what is considered the band's second masterpiece, and by many their finest masterpiece. Their most recent LP is the quickly recorded mid-tour follow up to said second masterpiece, the "Zooropa" record. At this point, in early 1994, U2 announce that they are splitting up because they want to go out on top. This is my ultimate "burn out" scenario.

3.Imagine this: Popmart ends in the middle of 1998, not quite as successful as ZooTV, and the record it is centered around has had a disappointing reception, though the hard core fans love it anyway. Years of touring and smoking have taken their toll on Bono, and his voice is much weaker than it was just a few years ago. Disillusioned and tired, U2 announce they are splitting up because they feel like they've reached the end of the road.

4.Imagine this: Elevation ends at the end of 2001, with ATYCLB being hailed by the press as the band's third masterpiece, and being a comforting record for many in the wake of the 9/11 attacks. Considering that this record and tour had been more successful than they had ever imagined it would be, that all of the success of 2000 and 2001 had been in spite of fading relevance as far as the younger crowd goes and not because of it, and feeling that they're not spring chickens anymore, and like they individually all have other things they want to do, U2 announce their retirement.

1. I'm glad U2 decided to stick it out and came out with AB, and for me, the second moment of greatness after JT, Zoo TV. There are several bands that have one great album and that's it.

2. I know the idea of a band quitting on top is appealing, and rock bands being too "old" to go on after 33, but no. There would be a lifetime of "what if..." questions for the fans, and more importantly, U2.

3. U2 was talking about splitting up had ATYCLB not been up to their standard. I would hate them going out on a bad note of Pop/mart burnout.

4. As far as I'm concerned, everything else after All that.../Elevation is gravy. They could have quit then and their legacy would be intact.

But I think there should more more options than going out on top or fading away, and I think that is what U2 is going for after having earned back the critical and popular vote in the 00s. Look at Dylan, Springsteen...who says you can't make great music in your 50's and beyond ?

If they legitimately think - and look at the hype the latest album is getting from the producers - they can get something that can be mentioned in the same breath with JT or AB, or be the standard for a rock band at the age of 50, I say go for it and retire afterwards. 30 years of career, age 50, with 3 great albums and one of the most famous rock tours.

U2 are bigger than ever now, not in spite of, but BECAUSE of their last two albums. A lot of younger bands are compared to U2. Future generations will mostly get to know the U2 that became big again in the 00s. ATYCLB was one of their strongest albums and has a lasting and universal appeal, no matter what some fans may think of it. So I'd say the chances U2 will be remembered for that and their recent tours are pretty good.

`

Back
Top Bottom