"Is it better to burn out than to fade away?" as it pertains to U2...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 are bigger than ever now, not in spite of, but BECAUSE of their last two albums. A lot of younger bands are compared to U2. Future generations will mostly get to know the U2 that became big again in the 00s. ATYCLB was one of their strongest albums and has a lasting and universal appeal, no matter what some fans may think of it. So I'd say the chances U2 will be remembered for that and their recent tours are pretty good.

Who couldn't love the sell out decade? :wink:

YouTube - iPod U2 Ad

It isn't like music is becoming more of an escape and that people increasingly want honesty and uncensored art. In a few decades with advertising becoming suffocating, why wouldn't someone love an artist that dumbed down their music and whored themselves out to sell records.

Although I haven't heard either of those Pink Floyd albums, I've generally heard from most people that they're kind of a waste of time

I realize what you were trying to get across to Screwy here but... as a side point from me, please give The Division Bell another chance! It's so worth it! Poles Apart, Marooned, Coming Back To Life, High Hopes... :combust:

As for the original question, why retire if you still got fresh ideas? Everything upto and including ATYCLB was completely new territory. So retiring anytime before 2001 or 2002 would have been such a waste. Bomb had more of a greatest hits kinda feel so maybe we didn't need it. But it still gave us some solid songs! I say go on till you absolutely run out of ideas.

I think it all comes down to relevance... U2 is pushing new ground right now, how many bands their age are still together for one thing and still making music which connects with their existing fan base (for the most part) and new younger fans?

Ask people on the street, does anyone even remember the name of the last Rolling Stones single? What about Areosmith or Bon Jovi or REM?

They all remember Vertigo though and that is mostly due to the iPod commercials. Screwtape you can call it "selling out" all you want but this is the reality of the music business today... You can either embrace it like U2 or go against it and fade into obscurity..

Elfa, I pretty much agree with you overall except... REM kicked all kinds of ass this year with Accelerate. :drool:

That said, more people will know Vertigo than Supernatural Superserious. It's not the question of which is the better song but which one has been marketed better!

I don't think U2 will ever burn out or fade away. They will just simply stop making music because eventually, like the rest of us, they'll get really old. But, much to Screw's chagrin, their music will be around forever. It will survive the test of time.

We all know by now that U2 are one of those special artists who people will remember forever. Just think, if Elvis were around still making music, how many people would get on him for not writing one single song in his entire career. They would also probably make fun of all the bad movies he did and those goofy outfits he started wearing in the 1970's. But, despite all of this, his legacy still survives. Its a good thing The King wasn't around during the internet or otherwise he'd really be fucked.

I realize in some weird way its almost considered "cool" to shit on ATYCLB or HTDAAB, but I enjoyed both those albums. ATYCLB especially, because after 9/11 happened, the songs on that album took on a new relevancy that I never would've expected.

It isn't like music is becoming more of an escape and that people increasingly want honesty and uncensored art.
funny thing is that anyone who knows anything about the band's history (as I'm sure you do) would recognize that they self censored themselves the most during Achtung Baby

it's ok if you don't like their latest albums
just don't make up bullshit reasons
:wink:

It isn't like music is becoming more of an escape and that people increasingly want honesty and uncensored art.

You're a fool. Read the lyrics. Part of what people hate about U2's music in the 00's is that it's TOO honest and leaves nothing to the imagination. If you can't tune into people's present thoughts on the music, it seems a little ridiculous to think aloud about how those albums will affect U2's future within the rock pantheon.

the day a band doesn't sell out in someone's mind is the day a band sells two records: one for them, one for mommy.

commercials are just a form of advertising. some bands like U2 know how to do it right and know where the line is, others just shamelessly whore themselves out for everything, just to make a quick buck. say what you will about U2 selling out, but they know where to draw the line.

Because of how the industry is now-a-days, with MTV the way it is, radio being shitty, bands are finding new ways of musical exposure.. IE car, phone commercials. Bands like Wilco, the Flaming Lips, etc have sold the rights to their songs for use in car commercials and computer commercials. U2 were smart with what they did with Apple and also using their songs in the world soccer ads on espn. They didn't compromise their artistic integrity and song integrity.

Oh. and if they did fade away, I would have preferred they done so after the success of the ZooTV tour.

If they had went away after the Lovetown tour I think they'd be remember most for what people started to complain about them in the late 80's. I wouldn't have wanted Rattle and Hum, album and movie, to be the last thing they did anyway.

You would think they'd give it to mommy for free. :tsk:

No way. Not unless the mommy helped out by buying the child their first instruments or recording studio time or money to press said music to disc. If my parents want a copy of one of my band's album (once it's finished getting mixed, mastered, and pressed), they're gonna have to buy it, just like everyone else. You know. Before someone uploads it.

You're a fool. Read the lyrics. Part of what people hate about U2's music in the 00's is that it's TOO honest and leaves nothing to the imagination. If you can't tune into people's present thoughts on the music, it seems a little ridiculous to think aloud about how those albums will affect U2's future within the rock pantheon.

2000's U2 is not too honest. I see nothing that would support that. :shrug:

2000's U2 is not too honest. I see nothing that would support that. :shrug:

The fact that you can tell precisely what Peace On Earth, Stuck In A Moment, Miracle Drug, and Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own are about in one listen is all the proof you need. You don't think they're lying in order to sell records, do you? I think they're being plenty honest. Just read the stories behind these songs and you'll see where I'm coming from.

Is there really such a thing as a non-honest U2 album though ? Bono, like Lennon, draws heavily from his own emotion in writing.

The fact that you can tell precisely what Peace On Earth, Stuck In A Moment, Miracle Drug, and Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own are about in one listen is all the proof you need. You don't think they're lying in order to sell records, do you? I think they're being plenty honest. Just read the stories behind these songs and you'll see where I'm coming from.

U2's been far more painfully and sometimes graphically honest than in those songs.

Is there really such a thing as a non-honest U2 album though ? Bono, like Lennon, draws heavily from his own emotion in writing.

This is true. However, on records like Achtung Baby, Bono's brutal honesty was often held in check by the poetic imagery. On these new records, it's just there.

Which is why it's so strange that Screw brings up lack of honesty in his criticism of U2's past couple of albums.

This is true. However, on records like Achtung Baby, Bono's brutal honesty was often held in check by the poetic imagery. On these new records, it's just there.

Which is why it's so strange that Screw brings up lack of honesty in his criticism of U2's past couple of albums.

The meaning of the songs are very honest but lyrically they are so abstract and avoid delving into the dark Pop-type lyrics. Honestly, I had no idea what Stuck was about when I read the lyrics. Same with Miracle Drug.

I think the band was also more into talking what the songs are about on the last two records.

The meaning of the songs are very honest but lyrically they are so abstract and avoid delving into the dark Pop-type lyrics. Honestly, I had no idea what Stuck was about when I read the lyrics. Same with Miracle Drug.

Weird. The meanings were pretty obvious from the first listen to me. What did you think Stuck was about when you first heard it? The economy? :wink:

So what? And who's to stay that Joe Blow can get the meaning of all those songs in go? You have to include songs like Sunday Bloody Sunday if you're going to mention Peace on Earth. Stuck's lyrics are fantastic; yeah sure you don't have to be an allegorical expert to understand them, but hell I love that they're the way they are. They speak. It's one of my favourite U2 songs. I'll agree Sometimes has quite a laughably unambiguous title, but lyric depth is that huge a deal, at least not for me. I still prefer Bono's lyrics from the 80s and 90s, but it's unfair attack on his 00 work.

Honestly, I had no idea what Stuck was about when I read the lyrics.

This I can't understand. Are you serious? The meaning's in the title... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom