Is anyone having doubt after hearing "Boots"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I could have said the same thing about "Bomb" but after hearing "Get on Your Boots" I really feel... unhappy. I'm usually one to give new songs a chance, but I don't feel the magic with this one -- it feels like they just threw this together with no direction...

I'm also concerned if it'll be powerful live, Vertigo took various attempts before it was perfected live...

If anything, I'd say that Vertigo was the song thrown together without any direction - GOYB is more layered and complex than any U2 song from this decade.

It'll be interesting live, it'll either be really really good or really really bad, I reckon.

I could have said the same thing about "Bomb" but after hearing "Get on Your Boots" I really feel... unhappy. I'm usually one to give new songs a chance, but I don't feel the magic with this one -- it feels like they just threw this together with no direction...

I'm also concerned if it'll be powerful live, Vertigo took various attempts before it was perfected live...

I think Vertigo sucks in any form, but, other than that, I'm with you. I think Get on Your Boots has a lame melody. No desire to hear it again after the first 30 times streaming from the official site, and I only listened to it that many times to hear the "Let Me In the Sound" part.

If anything, I'd say that Vertigo was the song thrown together without any direction - GOYB is more layered and complex than any U2 song from this decade.

It'll be interesting live, it'll either be really really good or really really bad, I reckon.

I've never been more torn about a song. On one level, I agree with you about the complexity. On another, I think it's perhaps the most juvenile thing they've ever done.

Live will be interesting...

At first listen, yes.. but I normally have a few reservations after the first listen of any new single by U2. Then I heard the song blasting in my car, and doubt was removed.

You know how the beginning of Vertigo has Bono saying, "turn it up loud, Captain!"?

Well, wrong song, wrong album.

Boots changes its entire complexion once you have it playing really loud on a good sound system.

The video confirmed my faith. This song can shatter glass and crash garbage cans against concrete walls, in the right context.

A lot of doubt which I have never felt in all my years of being a fan.
However, the reviews of the album are giving me hope and I can't imagine they made 11 bad tracks.
I think I just really don't like boots.
Plus the rest of the album sounds completely different.
Discotheque didn't sound like Please and Vertigo didn't sound like Yahweh.

Cause the only part I like about GOYB is "LET ME IN THE SOUND!"

But I must not jump to conclusions, I have yet to hear the album:wink:
Same here. And I haven't seen the video, which must be pretty special in order to completely change people's perceptions of the song.

Not at all...Get On Your Boots covers ground we havent seen in quite some time and I am sure that this is only a taste of what we will hear on the new album....in the all stadium tour that is rumoured...it would be nice to have something as grand as ZooTV and Popmart again and that will require deep complex tracks.

Get On Your Boots is a great song. That said, it's a pop song. I'm not referring to the album; it's a pop song like vertigo, or elevation, but better than either of them. I don't expect this to be an album of pop songs. Based on the reviews and beach clips I expect a fairly serious and deep work.

Bare minimum: I'm expecting this album to be the best they've done this decade.

Cause the only part I like about GOYB is "LET ME IN THE SOUND!"

That's actually the only thing I did not like about the song.

It has grown on me, though, because of the video, still it's not my favourite part.

Everything else is fine and I was not in any way disappointed when I heard the song first, other than with Vertigo, which I didn't like that much in the beginning.

I don't think I've ever "doubted" U2. There are many other things in life I doubt but not this band.

agreed. It really shows how well people listen to music when they compare a lightweight laugh song like Vertigo to this one. It's musically more complex and ANYONE reading the lyrics instead of saying instantly that they're shit would realise that it's not a light headed song at all. It's pretty political and certainly not just a laugh.

And no, I don't have doubt. What I do doubt tho is wether this thread belongs here, instead of one of the gazillion Boots threads in the appropriate forum.

I still like it but I don't think the rest of the album will sound anything like it. Still very excited, no doubts.

There’s nothing special about the song (although yes, the video did give it a huge boost for me too), but as I keep saying to myself, think of one song: Some Days Are Better than Others.

The album actually sounds a lot like Zooropa. Not sonically or thematically, but in other, smaller ways. Eno-heavy album. Opening with the title track, one that appears to take quite the large dynamic shift halfway through. Long songs. Similar contrasting light/heavy mood and feel. Johnny Cash! New sounds, but distinctively U2. Some poppy, some challenging, some fun, some gloomy. Nothing amazing, but of all U2 albums, this seems to be it's closest cousin in feel and geography.

So, with that in mind, I’m hoping Boots is like Some Days. A comparatively weak and shallow bit of throwaway fun down there somewhere in the second half, but surrounded by a Lemon, a Stay, a First Time etc.

I'm not expecting another Achtung or Joshua Tree, I don't think we'll get another one of those until all commercial pressure is off (if that ever happens), and I absolutely do not want them to re-cover 90s ground, but if they hand us an album that is of the same quality level and with such a unique and interesting feel all the way through it as Zooropa has, you'll have a very, very, very happy camper here.

Feel the same with the exception that Some days is:
A-a cooler song
B-not a leadsingle after 4 years of waiting on a new record.

We shall see, we shall see

No doubts, mainly because of the video and because reviews have stated it's NLOTH's worst track and the least indicative of the album's direction and theme.

Yes. I feel it's an average song and a weak choice for a first single.

I'm waiting for the "best ever/innovative" talk proof on NLOTH...

Well, considering what we know about the album so far I think it's pretty save to say that GOYB may not be the strongest song on the album, but it's probably the best choice for a single.

Plus, it will rock live, and U2 will perform the song on several occasions within the next weeks.

I think GOYB is a very good choice for a single.

I am with many people saying that after they saw the video, then something happened. I mentioned this before in another thread also. The video just showed me, I think, what direction they are taking, and I think I understood GOYB much better.

hell nawww.

last time I listened to 'Boots' I imagined the concerts being incredibly extravagant.
I imagined the crowd yelling out in unison "let me in the sound!" and Bono clapping in rhythm, sticking out the microphone to all of us.... yeah, I have no doubts whatsoever. :wink:

GOYB is more layered and complex than any U2 song from this decade.

It's comments like this that make me want to take some people to a recording studio and pull up all the tracks from this decade and prove you wrong.

Get some ears dude.

Back
Top Bottom