Interpretation/background of 'Beautiful Ghost'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
Does anyone have any information on the context, intrepretation and background of the song 'Beautiful Ghost'.

Wasn't that a melody that some friend of Bono presented to them during JT sessions, but the band felt it wasn't good enough to use on a record or something like that? :scratch:

Or am I starting to imagine stuff? :hmm::hmm:

I was under the impression it was nothing more than Bono reciting a William Blake poem over an instrumental.

Am I alone in thinking that if I never heard Beautiful Ghost again that would be quite alright???

I'm with you. I don't think it's beautiful or eerie or anything. It's a weak attempt to be atmospheric, and Bono reciting the poem makes it even less interesting. I have never understood the fuss.

I suspect the piece of music Beautiful Ghost was left over from JT sessions as Edge describes in the remaster booklet, however Bono's vocals sound like they weren't recorded until 2007 (at same time of Wave of Sorrow vocals). It would also make sense that at this much later date (2007) Bono had the thought of Songs of Experience first gestating in his mind.... Idea Later to be used for the SoI/SOE project

I suspect the piece of music Beautiful Ghost was left over from JT sessions as Edge describes in the remaster booklet, however Bono's vocals sound like they weren't recorded until 2007 (at same time of Wave of Sorrow vocals). It would also make sense that at this much later date (2007) Bono had the thought of Songs of Experience first gestating in his mind.... Idea Later to be used for the SoI/SOE project

No, the vocals were recorded late 80's. Someone found an interview from AB days where Bono talks about this instrumental that was recorded for JT and then they did the vocals late 80's maybe early 90's. This Blake Songs of idea has been swimming in Bono's head for quite awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Hmmm interesting. The vocals really didn't sound like Bono from that timeframe to me. Anyone have this article reference? I'd love to read more

Ps; I reviewed the song credits, and it does not list "additional recording by Carl glanville" like Wave of Sorrow does, and weirdly also, Drunk Chicken/America. On that note, I've read that Drunk Chicken piece of music existed from JT sessions.... Maybe Carl circa 2007 just. added the allen Ginsberg recitation over top?

His voice on that track really does sound like his current speaking voice. Maybe he re-recorded the vocals for the 20th JT box set?

UPDATE: I've just read an interview in NME date June 13 1992, that took place 2wks earlier when U2 was enroute to play the London show May 31 1992. Bono says "I've just written a song for our next record called Songs of Innocence and Experience, after reading Blake".

This proves the theme idea of I+e was in his head since as far back of 92, but his saying "I've JUST written....for our next record" leads me to believe it was during this Zooropa-writing timeframe that the song gestated, and not as far back as the JT era.
However, the actual piece of music Beautiful Ghost may be from JT era- without the inclusion of the Blake lyrics. If he had actually recorded the Blake lyric vocals earlier than this interview (Between 87-92), you'd think he would have mentioned it, or used the wording "I've RECORDED" such n such a song....... Instead of "I've JUST WRITTEN" which insulates recording not done yet.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I've just read an interview in NME date June 13 1992, that took place 2wks earlier when U2 was enroute to play the London show May 31 1992. Bono says "I've just written a song for our next record called Songs of Innocence and Experience, after reading Blake".

This proves the theme idea of I+e was in his head since as far back of 92, but his saying "I've JUST written....for our next record" leads me to believe it was during this Zooropa-writing timeframe that the song gestated, and not as far back as the JT era.
However, the actual piece of music Beautiful Ghost may be from JT era- without the inclusion of the Blake lyrics. If he had actually recorded the Blake lyric vocals earlier than this interview (Between 87-92), you'd think he would have mentioned it, or used the wording "I've RECORDED" such n such a song....... Instead of "I've JUST WRITTEN" which insulates recording not done yet.

Don't ever analyze the wording of a songwriter in such detail. Not just Bono, but most songwriters I know will talk that way. I knew a guy that would introduce a new song by saying "I just wrote this last night" when all the other musicians knew he had been working on it for months.

It could have been a different lyric he wrote, or put it to different music and he'd consider that 'just written', it doesn't mean anything. Obviously the theme has been kicking around in his head for a long time. There's evidence that the idea was earlier than Zooropa era.

Back
Top Bottom