INTERFERENCE's Top 100 U2 Songs - Voting thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Scientist

The Fly
Well I'm only an occasional visitor here and I haven't popped by in quite awhile. I did a few searches and noticed that INTERFERENCE has had no definitive Top U2 song list (or at least not in afew years as searches came up empty). Now knowing the U2 love here :heart: I find it shocking that that is the case.

So here's my thoughts, I've put together threads of Top artists lists before at the respective forums (Radiohead, Coldplay, Beatles, Zepelin to name a few) and I'd like to get a Top 100 U2 song list FROM the U2 FANS. That being INTERFERENCE.

You put your lists together ( and I hope to get a LOT of them) and then I'll do all the work to tabulate a MASTER LIST.

Rules being

1. Collaborations are ok, as long as the entire band was in on it (aka no Bono only collabs, Passengers is ok)
2. Covers are fine
3. Alternate versions of songs do not count
4. Remixes do not count
5. The songs must be ranked in order. No exceptions. Please. Songs only get slight advantages by being higher in the lists so don't sweat your order that much!!
6. Unreleased songs (but performed live) are ok.
7. You can do a minimum of 25 songs and a maximum of 50 songs in your list. So 25-50 songs on lists are ok.
8. If you want to edit your list later that's fine. Just do not reply post your edits into a new post. Use your original post.

Sounds cool? Any questions? If this has been done before let me know asap and I'll scrap the idea, otherwise I hope its a go!:applaud:

I'd like to participate in this but...

IMO, you need to have a consistent format otherwise it skews the scoring.
So having 25 or 50 period is more representative of the consenses. If you allow for the lists of 25 and 50, then each and every entry from 26-50 receives more points all depending on the submitter.

The final result thus would always weigh towards those who submitted more songs on their lists.

You couldn't score it any other way and not have an imbalance, right?

1. Where the Streets Have No Name
2. Until The End of The World
3. Bad
4. Lemon
5. Acrobat
6. All I Want is You
7. Zooropa
8. Bullet the Blue Sky
9. One
10. With or Without You
11. Mofo
12. The Fly
13. New Years Day
14. Zoo Station
15. Exit
16. Running to Stand Still
17. One Tree Hill
18. Hawkmoon
19. Love is Blindness
20. God Part II
21. Ultraviolet
22. Heartland
23. Gone
24. Mothers of the Diappeared
25. Slug

just in case

26. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
27. So Cruel
28. Still Haven't Found What I'm Lookin For
29. Seconds
30. Elvis Presley and America
31. Red Hill Mining Town
32. Drowning Man
33. A Sort of Homecoming
34. Wire
35. Sunday Bloody Sunday
36. Discotheque
37. Dirty Day
38. Stay
39. Numb
40. In God's Country
41. Pride
42. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
43. Miami
44. Even Better Than The Real Thing
45. Walk On
46. Please
47. Your Blue Room
48. '40'
49. Always Forever Now
50. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car

Last edited:
That is generally how it works well though. Some people can struggle to pull 25 together, some can barely limit their top songs to 50. So yes those who can put together a list of 50 do get more input then those who do 25 but that's somewhat of a reward for putting a better list and it helps get some of the smaller songs to get some votes. If we limited it to 25 then we might get all singles, if we required 50 we might get only half the lists we want...

My general point system I use is this:

# 1 is 100 points
# 2 is 95 points
# 3 is 90 points
# 4 is 85 points
# 5 is 80 points
# 6 is 75 points
# 7 is 70 points
# 8 is 65 points
# 9 is 60 points
# 10 is 55 points
# 11-15 is 50 points
#16-20 is 45 points
#21-25 is 40 points
#26-30 is 35 points
#31-35 is 30 points
#36-40 is 25 points
#41-50 is 20 points

The vote itself is the most important, the ranking is very important in the top 10, and become less so the further it drops.

For example my list I put together in the half hour was initially 35 and then I tried to add 5 more tracks to make a Top 40. I'd take off some serious meat to make it just 25 and add 10 fatty tracks i really could care less about to make a top 50 :lol:

1. Where The Streets Have No Name
2. Running To Stand Still
3. The Fly
4. One
5. Until The End Of The World
6. New Year's Day
7. Lemon
8. Stay (So Far, So Close)
9. I Will Follow
10. Zoo Station
11. Elevation
12. Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
13. Beautiful Day
14. Mofo
15. Do You Feel Loved
16. Even Better Than The Real Thing
17. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
18. Zooropa
19. Sunday Bloody Sunday
20. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
21. One Tree Hill
22. Vertigo
23. City Of Blinding Lights
24. In God's Country
25. The Unforgettable Fire
26. Bullet The Blue Sky
27. Miss Sarajevo
28. With Or Without You
29. Pride (In the Name of Love)
30. Mysterious Ways
31. Kite
32. Babyface
33. The Electric Co.
34. Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World
35. Out of Control
36. Walk On
37. Desire
38. A Sort Of Homecoming
39. Night and Day
40. Surrender

Again you can edit your post later to add or edit if you realize you've missed out on a few gems. :hmm:

We already had multiple U2 Survivors. I'm not sure what this will show that those haven't. :shrug:

Survivors are useless as any kind of gauge IMO. It's just a game.

First of all, they are long and drawn out, which drives particpation down and secondly, there is strategic voting, so it doesn't represent how we truly feel as a consensus. Lastly, the people who actively participate skew the results towards their likings rather than the forum as a whole.

Something like this, your one ballot is equal to anyone else's ballot. So I think if you could get close to a hundred or more submissions, they will differ from any of those Survivor results.

We already had multiple U2 Survivors. I'm not sure what this will show that those haven't. :shrug:

Well those are fun too.:hyper: This is a little more personal as you get to evaluate and make your own list according to your own favorites and not because you have to pick between the lesser of two evils (or a sophie's choice if you love both the tracks).

Hell I've even done some bracket battles after (using the top 64 favorite tracks for both Coldplay and Radiohead based on the results). Those are hella fun 1 on 1 song fights. Sometimes interesting results too.

RH Radiohead Bracket List
CP Coldplay Bracket List

But hey lets focus on getting votes for a Top 100 U2 song list first....:drool: Again these games really don't represent in results what doing a master list vote and tabulation can.

We are just going to see what we already know. It is pointless to me. There isn't anything fun or interesting to it. It will just be another list thread. I don't see the point to it. :shrug:

I don't see the point of making the same post twice, yet you went ahead and did just that. :wink:

I'll try to put together a list soon. Ranking the songs will be far more challenging than thinking of them.

We are just going to see what we already know. It is pointless to me. There isn't anything fun or interesting to it. It will just be another list thread. I don't see the point to it. :shrug:

Well you simply put together your list and put it in the thread. Its not really a game, its more like voting and knowing more about what your favorite songs actually are. Rankiing them should be challenging.

I'll do all the hard work in a month or so and the results are really where the fun is at. Besides a slow count down thread of the top 100, I'll also give breakdowns by album, show total points per album (and thus each album's ranking within the discography).

Plus you'll have a certified list that represents the board and thus U2 fans period. No more having to have magazines or MTV list the Top U2 songs that don't actually reflect the true fans. You'll have a list of you own that you can hand to any newb or those outside the community.

It's a win - win situation. Rock the vote!! :rockon: Make YOUR voice heard and put a list forth.

I'll do all the hard work in a month or so and the results are really where the fun is at. Besides a slow count down thread of the top 100, I'll also give breakdowns by album, show total points per album (and thus each album's ranking within the discography).

That would be an interesting thing to see. :up:

I do think if we are going to make this a true representation of U2 songs we should be able to include demo's. Stuff like Be There, Take You Down, Heaven & Hell, Mercy, Jitterbug Baby, Sunset In Colors, the untitled instrumental from the UF sessions and Doctor, Doctor should be allowed.

Man...this is so not fair...this list changes every day for me.

1. Where the Streets Have No Name
2. The Fly
3. Running to Stand Still
4. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
5. Discotheque
6. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
7. With or Without You
8. Zoo Station
9. Bad
10. Sunday Bloody Sunday
11. Pride (In the Name of Love)
12. Kite
13. Red Mining Hill Town
14. Refugee
15. I Fall Down
16. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
17. Bullet the Blue Sky
18. God Part II
19. Do You Feel Loved
20. Wire
21. The Unforgettable Fire
22. All I Want Is You
23. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
24. Electrical Storm
25. New Year's Day

Ugh..so hard. :drool:

Here goes

1. One
2. With Or Without You
3. Where The Streets Have No Name
4. Beautiful Day
5. Bad
6. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
7. All I Want Is You
8. Vertigo
9. Sunday Bloody Sunday
10. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
11. New Years Day
12. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
13. Desire
14. The Fly
15. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
16. I Will Follow
17. Walk On
18. Angel Of Harlem
19. Elevation
20. Stay (Faraway, So Close)
21. Running To Stand Still
22. Kite
23. Mysterious Ways
24. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
25. Even Better Than The Real Thing
26. Gloria
27. City Of Blinding Lights
28. Miss Sarajevo
29. When Love Comes To Town
30. The Unforgettable Fire
31. Sweetest Thing
32. So Cruel
33. Window In The Skies
34. Staring At The Sun
35. In Gods Country
36. Heartland
37. Until The End Of The World
38. Discotheque
39. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
40. Lemon
41. The Saints Are Coming
42. Zoo Station
43. If God Will Send His Angels
44. Gone
45. 40
46. Numb
47. Bullet The Blue Sky
48. Electrical Storm
49. Out Of Control
50. Everlasting Love

Cracking Idea, but I think it should be limited to original U2 songs only, and not any live or studio covers.

Will post mine sooner....

I do think if we are going to make this a true representation of U2 songs we should be able to include demo's. Stuff like Be There, Take You Down, Heaven & Hell, Mercy, Jitterbug Baby, Sunset In Colors, the untitled instrumental from the UF sessions and Doctor, Doctor should be allowed.

But there would be very few who would rank those songs. I mean I've only heard of Mercy.

Hard....very hard.... it changes everyday and it is not the same list between studio/live versions.... grrrrrr:mad:
Here's today's try....

1. Acrobat
2. Like a song
3. Luminous times
4. The Fly
5. Street mission
6. Mofo
7. Walk to the water
8. Bullet the blue sky
9. The electric Co
10. Love is blindness
11. Bad
12. One
13. Your blue room
14. Exit
15. One tree hill
16. Mercy
17. Twilight
18. 11 o'clock tick tock
19. Until the end of the world
20. Where the streets have no name
21. Heartland
22. Holy Joe
23. Yahweh
24. The Unforgettable fire
25. Hold me thrill me kiss me kill me
26. Zoo Station
27. Mysterious ways
28. Are you gonna wait forever?
29. Please
30. Zooropa
31. Sunday bloody Sunday
32. I fall down
33. Wire
34. New year's day
35. Running to stand still
36. Gone
37. Rejoice
38. Gloria
39. Promenade
40. Ultra violet
41. Kite
42. With or without you
43. Electrical Storm
44. Discotheque
45. God part 2
46. Sometimes you can't make it on your own
47. Stories for boys
48. Indian Summer sky
49. So cruel
50. Another time, another place

To be honest this is a waste of a post if people are gonna include holy joe or indian summer sky in the top 50. Meaning... have a real go at what u2's top 50 would be instead of just trying to name 50 songs in any order.

No, because you'd be the only person to vote for them.

That is generally how it works well though. Some people can struggle to pull 25 together, some can barely limit their top songs to 50. So yes those who can put together a list of 50 do get more input then those who do 25 but that's somewhat of a reward for putting a better list and it helps get some of the smaller songs to get some votes. If we limited it to 25 then we might get all singles, if we required 50 we might get only half the lists we want...

My general point system I use is this:

# 1 is 100 points
# 2 is 95 points
# 3 is 90 points
# 4 is 85 points
# 5 is 80 points
# 6 is 75 points
# 7 is 70 points
# 8 is 65 points
# 9 is 60 points
# 10 is 55 points
# 11-15 is 50 points
#16-20 is 45 points
#21-25 is 40 points
#26-30 is 35 points
#31-35 is 30 points
#36-40 is 25 points
#41-50 is 20 points

The vote itself is the most important, the ranking is very important in the top 10, and become less so the further it drops.

nah. for this to work properly, you need to have a concrete amount of songs allowed. otherwise its unfair.

To be honest this is a waste of a post if people are gonna include holy joe or indian summer sky in the top 50. Meaning... have a real go at what u2's top 50 would be instead of just trying to name 50 songs in any order.

Wow, are you for real?

I'm sorry but that's a pretty stupid thing to say if you are being serious.

What if Holy Joe or Indian Summer Sky is in their top 50?

Wow, are you for real?

I'm sorry but that's a pretty stupid thing to say if you are being serious.

What if Holy Joe or Indian Summer Sky is in their top 50?

Exactly what I was aboot to write.

If there are such stringent "rules" that define what songs a person is allowed to select, how about we just blow the whole idea off and settle for:

1. One
2. Where The Streets Have No Name
3. With Or Without You
4. Sunday Bloody Sunday
5. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
6. New Years Day
7. Desire
8. I Still Havent Found What I'm Looking For
9. Bad
10. Beautiful Day

....and be done with it.

Personal top 50's I reckon, all original U2 songs, no remixes.

6. Unreleased songs (but performed live) are ok.

Does this mean Wild Irish Rose is disqualified, then? It was never performed live, and the studio version we have is from a documentary on Irish music rather than from any album or single.

Question: Do "An Cat Dubh / Into the Heart" count as one song or two?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom