Interference's Favorite U2 Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fan101

Refugee
So about ten years ago, I did a Interference.com U2 Favorite Song, or something to that effect, on a website. It was lots of fun and I had some great comments about some songs being left out, and the way in which it was done did not work the best.

I also see, quite often, threads of "Rank your songs" and "Survivor" rounds etc.

I had an idea, depending on what the interest would be in it:

Through wiki, I found 233 songs that were written by U2, or Bono/Edge or Adam/Larry etc. To find the website's favorite song, I was thinking of having two different rounds of voting.

1st Round - You score each song from 1-5. 1 being least favorite, 5 being favorite. Plain and simple - look at each song individually as a song and put your score for it. Would take some time...maybe 10-15 minutes, or longer, but you'd have all 233 U2 songs scored based on your personal liking of them.

Then, I tally up the results of everyone that participated, which I would share the results with the Interference username, so people know there was no rigging on my end, and I would take the top 64 songs which would bring us to the 2nd round -

2nd round - Top 64 songs go into a March Madness type bracket. Pairings would be based on no. 1 favorite song vs 64th favorite song, etc, until there is one left standing.

I have all the songs on an excel spreadsheet, so if there was interest in doing this, I could post the spreadsheet, you could download it, then email it to me or send it to me on here via message.

So right now I'm just getting feelers on what kind of interest there would be on this. The 1st round would be the most time consuming, but I feel it is the fairest way for the entire U2 catalog to determine the top 64.

If you promise not to include anything from Passengers as it's not a U2 album, I might consider it.

NLOTH: written by U2, Eno, and Lanois.
OST 1: written by U2 and Eno.

OST 1 is more of a U2 album than nloth: it's 80 percent U2; nloth is 67 percent.
The only reason ost 1 isn't called u2 is because it would have destroyed the brand.

Sent from my XT1034 using U2 Interference mobile app

OST 1 is more of a U2 album than nloth: it's 80 percent U2; nloth is 67 percent.
The only reason ost 1 isn't called u2 is because it would have destroyed the brand.

You can exclude Larry from your calculations :hmm:

It's not a U2 album

Why is this hard?

Clearly it's U2 related, but it's a side project. Period.

miss Sarajevo is on a u2 best of. Why would a non-u2 song be on their greatest hits? It follows that the album from which it was drawn is also a u2 album. So there's that. But mainly, its an album written by U2 and Eno, so its a u2 record. The only argument against it was eno's presence in the band, but he was in the band for nloth, and that's a u2 record. The only criteria by which it could be deemed not-u2 falls apart if you consider nloth to be u2, because that's even more diluted (or augmented) by the presence of Lanois as a writer and performer.

Why don't I save you a whole lot of trouble?

Streets.

/Thread

This.

miss Sarajevo is on a u2 best of. Why would a non-u2 song be on their greatest hits? It follows that the album from which it was drawn is also a u2 album. So there's that. But mainly, its an album written by U2 and Eno, so its a u2 record. The only argument against it was eno's presence in the band, but he was in the band for nloth, and that's a u2 record. The only criteria by which it could be deemed not-u2 falls apart if you consider nloth to be u2, because that's even more diluted (or augmented) by the presence of Lanois as a writer and performer.

Can we stop this pointless argument? The only argument against it is notEno's presence but the simple fact that it was NOT released as a U2 album but by Passengers.So it is not a U2 album but it IS an album made by U2 (and Eno).

The reason it was called passengers is because Eno was a member, therefore it was not a u2 record. But since nloth filled that criteria and is U2...

But yeah you're right: it was released by passengers, but us by u2. Thats the literal truth... But a modern reading of the text reveals a new truth...

Anyway it's a great album.

Agreed. During the PopMart press conference, Bono mentions that they wanted to release it as a U2 album but "the record company" (and possibly Larry) wouldn't allow it. That could've just been Bono being typically Bono, but the fact remains it features all four of the Dublin lads and it wasn't a soundtrack album. To all intents and purposes, OS1 = a U2 album #canofwormsreopened

I like where your head is at. I love the bracket idea.

It's too tough to go through every song as you explained. But much like the survivor rounds you can accomplish a lot through polls. Search the old threads and see how it was done before. Start by weeding out some of the rarities. You can put 30 items in a poll.

It's about time we do this again with the newer songs out.

Great atmosphere, some of Bono's finest vocals and not one kneeling soul in sight :up:

Last edited:
I wish they'd just fucking rerelrase it with outakes like the full length united colours and call it U2: Passengers OST 1. It's the end point of everything they worked towards since 1980. Up to then, everything developed logically (rattle and hum is in the foundation of achtung songs). After OST 1, they didn't develop so much as grow and jump around using past sounds and styles as the basis.

And yeah, I remember Bono saying that he wanted it to be a U2 record. I also remember them planning to record two albums concurrently: ambient and rock.

classic Bono.

I'm surprised that in an age where U2 now drip feed their albums, some fans aren't more willing to accept Passengers as "official" just to bump up the total a little.

Last edited:
I don't get how one can accept a track from it being on a u2 greatest hits but not think it's a u2 song.

If the artist goes into the project as a side project and the mentality and sessions are recorded as a side project then it's a side project.

It's not that fucking hard to understand. I don't understand why people have to pigeonhole artists so much in this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I also think POP shouldn't be included in the poll as it's easily U2s worst album, so there is no point including songs from it.

If you promise not to include anything from POP, I might consider filling in the poll :up:

My favourite thing is when a poster, whether it be me, a newbie or anyone else, considers Passengers to be a U2 thing, and then righteous long-time posters get so angry about that they have to make a post full of swearing saying we're wrong :cute:

My favourite thing is when a poster, whether it be me, a newbie or anyone else, considers Passengers to be a U2 thing, and then righteous long-time posters get so angry about that they have to make a post full of swearing saying we're wrong :cute:

:cute: you talking about being righteous, anger, and swearing without even a hint of irony. You're a gem.

I swear because it's how I speak. Not because I care so deeply about something so inconsequential :cute:

Back
Top Bottom