In appreciation of Shadows and Tall Trees

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it took till post 22 of this thread to slam U2's 2000s output
you guys are slipping

I never knew slamming two specific songs constituted slamming a whole decade's output.

I guess those people who hate S&TT are slamming U2's 1980s output then? When I say that Miami and Playboy Mansion blow, I'm slamming U2's 1990s output?

Grace has a distinct atmosphere. It's like, all Eno and Edge, and the lyrics are mostly wack, but it's an appropriate closer for what precedes it, for better or worse. Sounds especially good on headphones.

Yahweh also has weak lyrics and shouldn't have closed out the album, but it does have a passionate vocal, and musically it reminds me of One Tree Hill.

So that's enough to put both above Shad-BLOWS And FAIL Trees.

Shadows has extremely unique atmosphere, a wonky but interesting chord progression and some very strong lyrics. It's also well-arranged, peaking with that explosive bridge that leads into a simplistic but powerful hook.

Grace has some nice production, terrible lyrics and no real buildup. Musically, it's barely there.

Yahweh isn't horrible or anything, it's pleasant enough, but the music is syrupy, and it's all sunk by a horrendous vocal. It's as bad as, if not worse than IALW's, and that was meant to be bad. Lyrically, I like the song.

My opinion!

Your opinion!

My opinion!

:panic:

Right, and they're great. There are a lot of great slow songs in the world. Grace is terrible for many reasons, and it remains the exact same kind of terrible for its entirety.

I've always liked 'Grace', still do. Frankly, I've never understood the dislike of it 'round these parts. Then again, I've never understood most of the opinions thrown around this forum by the regulars, which seem to contradict 90% of U2 fans.

I would say without a shred of doubt that 90% of U2 fans actually do know Grace, because of that 90%, most would be casual fans and ATYCLB would find it's greatest supporters among casual fans.

Purely anecdotal but I have two acquaintances who fit squarely in that 90%/casual bracket, they do 1 show per tour etc etc...and they both named their baby girls Grace (they don't know each other). I'll never forget asking them why, ie, who was named Grace in their family, they said "noone - you know, Grace, the last song on U2's album?" and were quite surprised I didn't make the immediate connection, given that they knew me to be The U2 Super Fan. :cute: :lol:

I've actually come in to bat in Grace's defence before - I think it's a weak song but not utter dross - but 1. I don't think it can compare to Shadows & Tall Trees, 2. it can be a bit boring unless you're in exactly the right mood and willing to forgive "Grace, it's the name for a girl / it's also a thought that changed the world", and 3. I'm pretty sure a truckload more casual fans own the Best Ofs, JT, and AB than own ATYCLB, especially now that it's twelve years old and just another U2 album (and if they do own it, they own it for the first four songs).

Doesn't make SnTT any better of a song. The chanted "shadows shadows" are particularly cheestastik

Without getting Mailiobiatchachains involved, I'm guessing ATYCLB sales have remained pretty much apace with any other U2 album, in other words the majority of casual fans own it. And please lets not make any claims to know what said ATYCLB owners listen to on the album I mean that would be pretty silly. The point is the majority of U2 fans do in fact own the album and have heard the song..perhaps even numerous times.

Anyone who attended an Elevation tour show certainly would know the song, also.

Back
Top Bottom