I'm in love with 'Running to Stand Still'. What is your favourite version?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zoo TV fer sure, though I loved the Desire/Hawkmoon/RTSS medley that they played once on the Elevation tour.

Yep, I was at the gig: Cologne, 12th July 2001. This version is really unique. There was a fan with lyric sheets in his hand at the B-stage, trying to convince Bono to sing a) Hawkmoon 269, b) Running To Stand Still, c) Red Hill Mining Town, d) One Tree Hill ...

... while eventually this really would jump on Bono's nerves (and maybe those also on the nerves of those around the guy in the audience, who might be disturbed or distracted by the fan's (mis)-behaviour), this very time it was different.
Bono reacted, looked at the sheets and decided impromptu to do the first two linked together, switched in with the setlisted "Desire". It was really awesome, an by all my respect: These are the moments, why I love U2 having an acoustic set in their shows. Anything can happen, but please – don't do this all the time, okay. It might also ruin a show ...

I'd have to go with the album version. The music completely suits the lyric, with the sort of hazy, strung out atmosphere and Bono's empty yet soulful vocals. The song just kind of whispers by you, like a dream, and Bono for one time in his life actually uses restraint. He only raises his voice on the "oooooohhh" part right b4 the last verse. And just when you think he's going to freak out and scream at the climax, what happens? The music that was building and building suddenly drops, leaving Bono to croon softly in his lower register: "she's running to stand...still", followed by some lonely sounding harmonica and the haunting guitar strings. This song has always been my favorite U2 song. From beginning to end, it's absolutely flawless. And i do love the ZooTV version with the Hallelujahs, but that would only work in a live setting. The one thing i always worshipped about the Joshua Tree version was the way it was so un-U2 like. The dynamics. It's a quiet masterpiece.

Yeah, the Zoo TV version.

I actually derailed an FYM thread to gush about it when I was listening to the Sydney show while posting. . .I liked it that much.

studio version is the most raw and pure version of RTSS. Most emotional for me personal was the version played in Amsterdam, July 15th 2005, which was actually the last time the song was performed live.

studio version is perfect.

the 12.31.89 Dublin version is my favorite live version. love the dirty old town at the end and the little times are a changin snippet.

The studio version is indeed perfect. You can't really compare it with Zoot V's version becuase they were so different. But the Zoot Review performances are something else... sends shivers down my spine when he does the actions with the needle n shit... and then the fragmented alle.... alle alleulia...

And how about the lyrics?? A more objective view for once, one that doesn't condone drugs, but says if your life is rotten, see it through different eyes.

I still get chills watching the making of the Joshua Tree when they talk about this song and how it came together. DL is an amazing storyteller. Then when it switches to the Zoo Sydney version, well here comes 5 minutes of worry-free time where I'm transfixed in a state of bliss. My favorite version no doubt.

I feel lucky that I got a chance to see/hear this live on the Vertigo Tour. Never thought I'd get a chance to experience a live take.

Back
Top Bottom