If You HAD to Choose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shawn Bonneau

New Yorker
Would you rather see U2 take a break from Touring or producing new Music?

I say new Music and keep the shows coming.

I'd say take a break from touring and focus on new music, but only if that meant they were going to ditch this incessant need to have hit songs on the radio.

And I bet if they stopped trying so hard to do that, they'd probably end up with an album full of enormous hits. /completely unscientific theory

:wink:

I'd say take a break from touring and focus on new music, but only if that meant they were going to ditch this incessant need to have hit songs on the radio.

And I bet if they stopped trying so hard to do that, they'd probably end up with an album full of enormous hits. /completely unscientific theory

x5

Keep touring, on a smaller scale (Ala JT/Lovetown Tour stage) mix up the setlists a little more, with a few nights in each city.
i have to side with this to be honest. we don't see the band as much as the rest of you, and even though it would see them become a "nostalgia act" or whatever i think preaching to the converted would be cool.

I think Bono and Edge should do an acoustic tour and play 4-5 night stands at large concert halls around the world. Different sets every night. 25 song setists.

I think you're the minority in this wish...

Yes.

As Zoo TV Bono would say, "this is a rock and roll show!"

And U2=Larry, Edge, Bono, Adam.

No other combinations/permutations are acceptable for anything more than one off appearances.

This is how it always was, this is how it is, this is how it should always be.

I came dangerously close to being put to sleep by 360 Legs 1 and 2, I'd like to leave the pillow at home in the future!

I would want them to take a break from touring, absolutely. Seen them, was wonderful, but between the setlist bitching and the awful nightly choices they make that provoke the setlist bitching, I don't think I could stand them touring constantly. Besides, they still have creative impulses of some kind or another, and not the sort that can be channeled into extravagant lighting fixtures. You don't give up on writing music after making an album that almost brought you back to where you need to be. It's amazing to me that U2 still has somewhere to travel, but they continue to surprise me.

:up:

Absolutely.

If they stop touring, presumably one of them can't perform for medical reasons.

I don't see U2 making an album and NOT touring it so...when they stop touring U2 is over IMO.

My first thought would be a break from touring but considering how long the band is in the studio we might be more likely to hear new material on the tour sooner than if they were recording. If it were assured they would release the music quickly I would say studio though.

i have to side with this to be honest. we don't see the band as much as the rest of you, and even though it would see them become a "nostalgia act" or whatever i think preaching to the converted would be cool.

By the time they get here (again) its not really the tour for the current album, its going to be the tour for another album / greatest hits by stealth.

Not saying its a bad thing, just how it is.

Continue the tour and drop a double album with DM/OONTs before the Mexico shows in May. After that then continue touring until the summer and "dream it all up again" with whatever left over material there is and new recordings with another producer Rick Rubin or Flood or Eno/Lanois or Jacknife. Do a tour in 2012 before the end of the world and on Dec 21, 2012 play Last Night on Earth before the cataclysm.

THE END

Or they could just release the DM album before the Mexico shows and release the OONTS album like a U2 subscriber thing (or never let it see the light of day). Then add some dates in August 2011. After that they should "dream it all up again". :hyper:

It's the sound of obnoxious dance music beats put into words.

OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS

So some of us started calling the "club album" the OONTS OONTS OONTS album. :wink:

Yeah. But you can't ignore that the Beatles hated touring, and U2 loves touring. So not quite comparable.

Although U2 can hear themselves sing and play over the screaming of their fans, so I'm sure that helps a lot. :wink:

def new music. A new album a year for the next 5-6 years to clear their apparent glut of unreleased material, then a massive farewell tour.

Then they can release new music in their own schedule as they write/wish.

U2 don't come close to this area very often and I've only seen them once. It was beyond amazing, but I would still rather have them release new music more often and tour less. (If it were possible for me to see them frequently, I might have a different opinion.) U2 have said various times that when they're in the studio they're always thinking about how the songs will sound live; it would be interesting to see what would happen if they stopped focusing on that aspect for a while and just made a great album. And, really, recorded albums are more lasting and permanent that live shows. Not to mention that the whole time I've been a fan, U2 have only released two albums. :|

It's the sound of obnoxious dance music beats put into words.

OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS

So some of us started calling the "club album" the OONTS OONTS OONTS album. :wink:

For that album they should recycle some POP ideas like:

U2 start.com | Expect Nothing But The Best

collector16_06.jpg

collector16_07.jpg

Back
Top Bottom