If You HAD to Choose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most of these are pretty damn freaking amazing. Wow. I'm drooling right now. Although I really like the real Pop album cover, some these have it beat.

wow....i seem to recall hearing somewhere (radio, mtv?) back in 95 or 96 that u2 was going to release a new album titled "expect nothing but the best".

would love to hear those "lost" sessions from that era...

I'd guess giving the impact their age will have at some point I pick recording albums

wow....i seem to recall hearing somewhere (radio, mtv?) back in 95 or 96 that u2 was going to release a new album titled "expect nothing but the best".

would love to hear those "lost" sessions from that era...
yeah, i have a book from 95 that said that u2 was working on an album of "mostly instrumentals" (which became passengers of course) and a rock and roll album. i'd love it if they included some old stuff from 95/96 whenever they remaster pop.

They need to stop touring, take a break, get their butts into the studio--and work on something without having to worry about "the usual pressures" or comming up with a hit.

At this point I think they are recording a million things and for lack of a better metaphor--throwing it at a wall to see what sticks.

I completely agree with Coriandestem. They should take a break from touring and focus on some new songs. I really hope Songs of Ascent will come just a little close to JT in quality music. I think they really need another huge hit album because in my humble opinion NLOTH, HTDAAT, ATYCLB didnt even come close to JT or AB.

Didn't they take 2 or 3 years off give or take to record and release NLOTH? Anybody want to theorize on what NLOTH (or whatever) might have sounded like had they recorded that stuff during the Vertigo tour?

What I mean by this is similar to the way they recorded Zooropa and, by all accounts so far, the next LP..

I'd say take a break from touring and focus on new music, but only if that meant they were going to ditch this incessant need to have hit songs on the radio.

And I bet if they stopped trying so hard to do that, they'd probably end up with an album full of enormous hits. /completely unscientific theory

:wink:

My sentiments exactly. Find some new know fiddlers other than Lanois/Eno.

A break from new music may make them take a look at doing if not an "album" show - ie JT in it's entirety - a short tour dominated by songs they don't play live so much. Okay, songs that they don't play live so much because A: The band just don't like and/or B: just suck live probably still wouldn't get a look in (although I'd like the right to judge for myself on how good they are live, as we all would with our personal favourites) but it could revitalize things a little bit - anyone else like to hear "Walk To The Water" live? :).

I've always wondered about the reasons for songs appearing/not appearing (obviously this relates to the older stuff not the current album stuff as much) during shows - it can't all be just "it doesn't work live" or "the new song does it better". Probably a long, drawn out complicated question to answer, but....

So yeah, for a while anyhow, more tour less music.

Didn't they take 2 or 3 years off give or take to record and release NLOTH? Anybody want to theorize on what NLOTH (or whatever) might have sounded like had they recorded that stuff during the Vertigo tour?

What I mean by this is similar to the way they recorded Zooropa and, by all accounts so far, the next LP..

They actually did record during Vertigo, the Rubin stuff. Or if it's just No Line in an early snapshot, I guess it would have been far more noticeably 'Morocco'. I don't know about better or worse. The comments about the local influence in those sessions coming off as just 'for the sake of it' make it sound like their removal was probably a good thing, but at the same time, there are a few No Line songs that could definitely do with taking a step back.

The gaps in between legs on this tour have been pretty decent, and they had the (unexpectedly) huge gap between legs two and three, which is presumably when the material really kicked off, with Danger Mouse coming into the equation either during that or shortly after.

Zooropa is/was pretty unique. A real creative burst, off the back of ZooTV, the ideas and mood and time (and travel.) There's more of ZooTV in Zooropa than there is Achtung Baby in ZooTV, if that makes sense. Even the song Zooropa is like a trippy weird re-imagining of the opening sequence of ZooTV. Zooropa has the musical build up, looping sounds, sense of the sounds being beamed in from elsewhere, then the guitar arrives. Not unlike the ZooTV musical build up, bursts of sounds, tv's actually flickering on, Zoo Station crashing in. Like Zooropa is how it echoed in their heads when crawling into bed six hours and twenty drinks after coming off stage, with a jet lagged or adrenaline (or substance) come-down fuzzy head.

I'd love to think something similar to Zooropa has happened, some sudden lightening bolt, producer rushed in to bottle it, and fast moves to get it out, but I suspect it's probably been the same plodding/crafting, just spaced out a bit more than usual, and the extra time just gave them enough space to tie it down.

def new music. A new album a year for the next 5-6 years to clear their apparent glut of unreleased material, then a massive farewell tour.

Then they can release new music in their own schedule as they write/wish.

:drool::drool::drool:

My fear though is that once they stop touring, Bono will find another cause to support/solve/cure and won't go near the studio long enough for them to actually finish anything.

Back
Top Bottom