If they played Pride like this...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't even think the casual fans care about this song anymore. If they were wanting to drop a warhorse, this would surely be the easiest one to lose. At the shows last summer, songs like BD, Vertigo, COBL got a better response than this song.

^ that's true. I was stunned by the relative non-response to Pride when they played it at a couple of the shows I saw, particularly when it got such a huge response after Streets in 06.

This is pretty good but still doesn't equal the studio version. it's pretty much the same style as later performances just that Bono's voice is at its peak around this time and the bass has a bit of extra kick to it. Also, the tempo seems just a bit faster than later performances. I still don't get why they never at least tried to recreate the studio version live. It's clearly so much better than the "dumbed down", for lack of a better term, live version. Not just Bono's voice but the guitar as well. In fact I think the guitar is where the biggest difference lies between studio and live performances.

Proshot UF era. Major drool. What concert is this from?
November 21, 1984, Dortmund Germany. Amazing show. 11O'Clock Tick Tock, The Unforgettable Fire, and A Sort of Homecoming aren't included in the broadcast though. :down:

U2 Dortmund, 1984-11-21, Westfalenhalle, Unforgettable Fire Tour - U2 on tour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiaWGt9e-1g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzKWd7GXvsM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTeRn215alI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyIvVY_c-Mc

I don't even think the casual fans care about this song anymore. If they were wanting to drop a warhorse, this would surely be the easiest one to lose. At the shows last summer, songs like BD, Vertigo, COBL got a better response than this song.

Totally disagree. COBL didn't get a better response at any shows I was at. Pride was very very well received. And, as the rate the song series illustrates, it's still a very much loved song.

They're probably well aware that hard core fans would rather hear other tracks. They keep playing these songs because of casual fans, not in spite of them.

Totally disagree. COBL didn't get a better response at any shows I was at. Pride was very very well received. And, as the rate the song series illustrates, it's still a very much loved song.

They're probably well aware that hard core fans would rather hear other tracks. They keep playing these songs because of casual fans, not in spite of them.

Agreed.

Definitely got a great response at the shows I've been at.

Also, Bono sounds pretty good on it today compared to almost any performance between 1987 and 2006. Not like 84, but he's holding the chorus and singing it closer to the studio version than ever, I think. I'm not complaining about it being in the set if it gets that kind of response and it's being played really well. I would've been the 1st one to drop it on Elevation, as it was terrible then.

Where Pride has really improved on Vertigo and 360 is in the guitar. Edge finally decided to play it pretty close to the studio version and he's re created that sound very well.

Still, the long rest it took on 360 was warranted as they do tend to wear it out. I liked the drop in 09 and the once in a while rotation in 10. Made it better when it came back as a staple in 11.

Yes; when they decide to sit songs out for a while they tend to do be done really well when they are brought back since they probably have renewed passion for it. This is what happened with "The Fly" being brought back for the elevation tour after sitting out Popmart. This is exactly why WOWY keeps getting worse every tour since they never give it a rest. Each time around it just seems more and more tired and contrived.

Agreed.

Definitely got a great response at the shows I've been at.

Also, Bono sounds pretty good on it today compared to almost any performance between 1987 and 2006. Not like 84, but he's holding the chorus and singing it closer to the studio version than ever, I think. I'm not complaining about it being in the set if it gets that kind of response and it's being played really well. I would've been the 1st one to drop it on Elevation, as it was terrible then.

Where Pride has really improved on Vertigo and 360 is in the guitar. Edge finally decided to play it pretty close to the studio version and he's re created that sound very well.

Still, the long rest it took on 360 was warranted as they do tend to wear it out. I liked the drop in 09 and the once in a while rotation in 10. Made it better when it came back as a staple in 11.

Back
Top Bottom