If Larry made a solo album...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Refugee
The "Larry, Adam, Edge -- Who is the best?" thread got me thinking... What if Larry Mullen Jr. produced a solo album? Wouldn't it be earth shattering?

Larry can sing and play drums. Dan Lanois can play guitar. Mike Mills from R.E.M. will play bass. And Gavin Friday will make extra percussive noises with his flatulence.

(Of course Bono and Edge will have cameos on one track. Bono will be falsely listed in the sleeve notes as "Boner", and Edge will be dubbed "The Hedge". Adam will not be invited at all in revenge for missing that gig in 1994 -- something Larry has yet to forgive him for.)

Not wanting to miss the opportunity to maximize sales with associative song-titles, Larry will title certain tracks as follows:

"11 O'Clock go to Bed"
"I Will Drumroll"
"I Threw a Drumstick through a Window"
"Pride (in the name of Harley Davidson)"
"When the Band Had no Name"
"With or Without a Click Track?"
"Who's Gonna Ride my Old, Wild Harleys"
"Stay (Faraway from this drummer)"
"Staring at their Bums"

What do you guys think? The album still needs a title. Also, is it realistic to expect this album to top the Billboard 100 and outsell The Eagles' Greatest Hits, or am I setting the bar too low?

I honest to God would be hard pressed to find an urge to listen to it.

I mean a legitimate one. Not the joke you created.

Some Drums Are Better Than Others
The Ponderer
Scowl (instead of Smile)
If You Play That 4/4 Beat Again
Theme From I Hate Passengers

Larry singing?

Yeah no thanks. I love Larry's drumming work, and I don't mind him occasionally piping in some backing vocals (MOS live works well, for instance), but I'd rather him not sing lead on a full album.

Please, can't the band release some new music or start the next leg of the tour early so I don't have to endure these types of threads? When U2 fans get bored, bad threads abound.

Please, can't the band release some new music or start the next leg of the tour early so I don't have to endure these types of threads? When U2 fans get bored, bad threads abound.

But an "Official link to album created specifically for whackjester" thread would be unfair to the rest of us.

A Larry solo album would be that one disc of the Achtung Baby outtakes where he punches out the beat to "Salome" for 65 minutes. Except Howie B would be shouting Larry's name in the background, just in case you don't find his 4/4 beats unique enough to tell who is drumming.

First Single: Elvis Presley and that Scene Where I Tear Up in Rattle in Hum
B-Side: A Glorified Messenger Boy Who Loved to Play Drums (I Related to That)

We still haven't given this pending masterpiece a title.

I suggest Rattle & Drum or The One that you Can't Leave Behind.

We still haven't given this pending masterpiece a title.

I suggest Rattle & Drum or The One that you Can't Leave Behind.
-How To Dismantle A Good Career
-The Forgettable Fire
-Boy, This Album Sucks
-No Sales On The Horizon
-Sound Asleep In America

My two cents.

A Musical Journey

Larry Mullen Jnr's solo album.

The Unforgettable Beat
Drum Station
All Because Of Drums
Do You Feel Deaf?
Snare Trap
Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crash Cymbal
Drumming Man
Two Toms Beat As One
Stuck In A Beat You Can't Get Out Of
Crumbs From Your Kit

"11 o clock go to bed" and "I threw a drumstick through a window" have to be my favorites :)

My day is certainly improved

It would be the same drum beats over and over again, See A sort of homecoming, Elvis Presley and America, One Tree Hill, and Mothers of the Disappeared.

Larry does Achtung Baby, his way

These are random as all hell and really have nothing to do with Larry, except for some drum references

1) Zoo Invitation (about Larry being invited to an elephant's bar mitzvah, which turns out to be a hoax. Larry is not amused, and he lets the world know it)
2) Even Worse Than The Last Song (if that's even possible. sadly, it is)
3) Uno (a dark song about Larry losing some money in a game of Uno)
4) Until the End of This Song (with a hook that goes: "I'll be drumming til the end of this song" - Larry's wry sense of humor in fullswing)
5) Who's Gonna Ride These Wild Corpses? (the less said, the better)
6) Faux Gruel (Larry boasts about his world famous gruel recipe. He curses the wanna-bes during a 27-minute drum solo)
7) The Fry (about his search for the missing french fry in a MacDonalds Bag) "it's no secret that the fry is somewhere in this bag..." you get the idea
8)Mysterious Glaze (no comment)
9) Trying To Grow A Farm Around A Girl (it's easier said than done)
10) Ultraquiet (a song, well...not really a song - it's just Larry screaming at the listener for several minutes, and not even in English - it's total gibberish)
11) Aggro crag (Larry assumes the identity of the aggro crag. Unfortunately, the aggro crag is an inanimate object, and the song is actually silence)
12) Love Is Pine Nuts (the sound of Larry accidently dropping his drum sticks for an entire hour. Oh, and he curses a lot. And...it's got nothing to do with pine nuts, or love.

Thank you, I'll be here all week.

Back
Top Bottom