Ian McCulloch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duff

The Fly
Just can't let it lie:hmm:
We’ve already spoken about Ocean Rain, is it still the greatest album of all time? [Laughs] I think it was “the greatest album ever made.” It’s definitely in the top 10. Ocean Rain has affected too many people, in the right way. And the fact that Anton Corbijn told us in Liverpool that U2 don’t like Ocean Rain, I thought “perfect”, because they tried to copy us all along. I said to Anton, “thank fuck”, because their still as shit as they ever were, and ever will be. But Ocean Rain is in the top 10 definitely, you can’t argue with songs like The Killing Moon, Ocean Rain, Thorn of Crowns and Nocturnal Me. There’s nothing on any album that I’ve ever heard that comes close to The Killing Moon, not even on Bowie albums. - See more at: Ian McCulloch Interview for Louder Than War

I doubt U2 would dislike Ocean Rain.

U2 did copy Echo and the Bunnymen but that is an influence on top of many other influences. Ian mentions David Bowie and Leonard Cohen. They don't go around calling Echo and Bunnymen "shit".

Larry talked highly of Ocean Rain in his 1985 feature article in Modern Drummer.

And Adam said that his rolling bass part on Vertigo was inspired by Les Pattinson (Echo + The Bunnymen).

So I am not quite sure where Anton got his information. And as he's done work for both bands, it seems odd he'd say such things.

E&TheB wanted to be The Velvet Underground meets The Doors. In that, they have succeeded. While not selling Beatles/U2 amounts of records, they have written great songs and inspired many bands - including U2.

He says this shit because people will post it and then he's that cool old guy who hates U2. :shrug:

Ah, U2's biggest fan. Shame he didn't call Bono a soddin' mountain goat again though.

I really like a lot of Mac's work including Ocean Rain, his solo stuff (just got Candleland on vinyl a few weeks ago), and even like some of EATB's newer stuff as much or better than the old.

That said, if quotes are accurate he has always run his mouth slagging off other bands. Maybe it's massive insecurity, fake bravado, or a genuine narcissistic disorder. I dunno. But if he thinks War, UF or JT don't rival or best Ocean Rain, he hasn't listened to them.

I'd also say he'd better watch his mouth with U2 releasing such an excellent new album while he has done nothing good recently, but EATB's new album is actually pretty decent. ;)

From an old Nardwuar interview with Ian:

Nardwuar: And Ian McCulloch of Echo and the Bunnymen, number two question from Courtney, or statement says, "Tell Ian that I was with U2 in New York City and that Bono said 'Ian was always better than me. We just had better management.'"

Ian: Hahaha...(laughs) yeah, that's exactly what I've been telling people. That is fantastic! I don't believe this! Can't these people tell the world? That's lovely again from him. After all the things I've said about him, what a gentleman! I'd love to have a drink with Bono, if I could get him to shut up for five minutes, he might learn something. What a dude to say that. I mean he will still embarrass me from time to time, but he's got a really good band I think, you know, and again hats off to him. Or cowboy hats off to him.

I used to love EATB but the more I hear from this fella recently, the more I go off them.
Really couldn't give at rats arse if I never hear of him again. Complete and utter jealousy IMO.
Get over it.

From an old Nardwuar interview with Ian:

Nardwuar: And Ian McCulloch of Echo and the Bunnymen, number two question from Courtney, or statement says, "Tell Ian that I was with U2 in New York City and that Bono said 'Ian was always better than me. We just had better management.'"

Ian: Hahaha...(laughs) yeah, that's exactly what I've been telling people. That is fantastic! I don't believe this! Can't these people tell the world? That's lovely again from him. After all the things I've said about him, what a gentleman! I'd love to have a drink with Bono, if I could get him to shut up for five minutes, he might learn something. What a dude to say that. I mean he will still embarrass me from time to time, but he's got a really good band I think, you know, and again hats off to him. Or cowboy hats off to him.

Haha, that's awesome :D

I really think those railing against Ian or EATB are reading way too much into it. It's just rock star banter. Ian isn't the first to do it. He ain't the last. I've met Ian. He's not a tool. He's a good dude talks a good game - who also happens to sing in a pretty great band.

EATB are great. They have made great records. Their latest, Meteorites is pretty great.

Bono was right, U2 had better management. U2 might not have been near as successful if they'd had lesser management than they've had.

Are The Black Keys any less great because their drummer talked shit about the Apple release? No. The are a pretty solid group.

Back
Top Bottom