I "heart" Rattle and Hum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purpleoscar

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Note: click on the links for the 'embedded disabled' videos to see them.

YouTube - U2 - Van Diemen's Land (Rattle and Hum)

U2 have aimed some of their songs at many injustices in the world, apartheid in South Africa for example. I may be wrong but I seem to see a reticence on the part of U2 to talk about what is on their own doorstep. Is that because it's easier to deal with a subject that's a long distance away?

Edge: "I don't think we're reticent to deal with what's on our doorstep. We write songs about what hits us at that time. We wrote a song about Northern Ireland on the War album ('Sunday Bloody Sunday') and I wrote a song called 'Van Diemen's Land,' which touches on that on the new album.

"I was interested in the history of this character, John Boyle O'Reilly. I was out one day with my wife Aislinn and we came upon his monument in County Meath. At the entrance to it was this faded brown newspaper clipping which gave the history of his life. How he was a member of the British army in Ireland. He left the army and became a Fenian and wrote Fenian poetry.

"He was arrested by the British government and was charged with writing material that was liable to undermine the government and was deported to Australia for 20 years' hard labour. He was, to me, a prisoner of conscience in a way. He was not a man of violence and he was sent away for 20 years, so I wrote a song about that."

The last verse of the song fades out. The lyrics remain on the sleeve insert, however. They read: "Still the gunman rules and the widows pay / A scarlet coat now a black beret / They thought that blood and sacrifice / Could out of death bring forth a life."

Edge: "Yes, the lyrics fade out. But that was for time reasons more than anything else because the lyric is on the lyric sheet. And there I'm just really asking a question I've been asked: What's the difference between men of violence on both sides? In this case this guy O'Reilly was sent away for 20 years by the powers that be. In Belfast today you're liable to get executed on the spot by men of violence, men with power. What's the difference? There's no freedom in either situation. Freedom of thought or freedom of conscience. People are either blown away or sent away. What I'm saying is that it's the people with the guns who are ultimately in power and I seem them all the same."

Are you saying it doesn't matter who is wielding the gun, they're both wrong?

Edge: "Well, I'm asking the question really: what's the difference between the people in power in the ghettos of Derry and Belfast now, because they're the people in power there, and those who were in control of Ireland at that time? It's a question of myself as much as anyone else. But my question is, what's the difference?"

(from "'In Ireland People Are Scared of Success...'" by Jack Barron, New Musical Express, October 22, 1988)

YouTube - U2 - Desire - Regular Version

"Desire," the first single from Rattle and Hum, is such a song [ref. to Bono's preceding comment, "I want to reveal the dark side as well as the light side of who I am"]. He describes it as being about addiction and ambition. "I'm dependent on music in a way. In writing words and music, I'm attempting to identify myself. We're all trying to find out who we are and music is like that for me. I find that I almost hold on to it in a very desperate way."

"'Desire' is about ambition too. The ambition to be in a band. You don't join a band to save the world but to save your own arse and get off the street. You want to play to the crowd rather than be in the crowd. I wanted to own up to all this because people look at U2 and see all these pure motives -- but we started off being in a band for the most impure motives."

(from "U2" by Terry O'Neill, In Fashion magazine, January 01, 1988)

On "Desire" there's needle and spoon junkie imagery. How much of that is appropriate and how much of it is based on personal experience?

"There's a lot of desire to get out of it," says Adam with resignation. He goes on to opine how the boredom and loneliness of touring can lead to need for chemical comfort even if it's simply alcohol.

Edge: "I think in the case of that song it's mostly a collage of images around the theme of desire. Some of the images are from personal experience and some of which are taken out of newspapers or what's going on."

(from "'You Don't Believe Sinead, Do You?...'" by Jack Barron, New Musical Express, October 29, 1988)

YouTube - U2 Hawkmoon 269 Live 1989

"Hawkmoon is a place in Rapid City, North Dakota," Edge explains, "we passed by it on the Amnesty tour and Bono, ever a man with a notebook handy, thought 'that sounds good.' So he used that as a point of departure for the song."

(from "A Mighty Long Way Down Rock 'N' Roll" by Niall Stokes, Hot Press, September 22, 1988)

[This transcript has appeared on a few interpretations sites, the comments in the middle included:]

Bono: "The other side of U2 is Hawkmoon. I'd like to say that, uh... I mean I called it Hawkmoon 269 because... It seems to me... Well, it's a reference to a few people, like one of my favorite writers Sam Shepard, but also to... It's a motel room in my imagination somewhere..."

(At this point, in my opinion, Bono realizes that he has been too serious (too revealing?) Then he slips into his "joke mode". You can hear it in his voice as he says...)

"But the 269 isn't actually a motel room, it's the fact that we mixed it two hundred and sixty-nine times before we got it right (Band laughs), and, uh (Bono laughs) we're that professional MAN."

(from Rattle and Hum U2 Nationwide Broadcast, October 26, 1988)

The name "Hawkmoon" was taken from a Dakota backwater town that U2 passed on Amnesty's Conspiracy Of Hope tour, while the "269" refers to the number of takes it required in painstaking studio revisions.

"We actually physically wore the tape down doing that number of mixes," Bono told Niall Stokes of Hot Press. "We were recording in Sunset Sound, with all the shit that happens around there going on. Search-and-destroy choppers looking for drug busts. Sunset Strip. Hookers. Every neon sign advertising sex in some shape or form. You could feel that all coming through in 'Hawkmoon'."

(from "How The West Was Won" by Stephen Dalton, Uncut Magazine, September 08, 2003)

YouTube - U2 All Along the Watchtower Lovetown Tour

When Dylan wrote this song, he was recovering from a motorcycle accident which had marked a shift in his career. Members of his family commented on his reading the Bible on a daily basis. Several critics have pointed out that Dylan's lyrics echo lines in the Book of Isaiah, Chapter 21, verses 5-9:

Prepare the table, watch in the watchtower, eat, drink: arise ye princes, and prepare the shield./For thus hath the Lord said unto me, Go set a watchman, let him declare what he seeth./And he saw a chariot with a couple of horsemen, a chariot of asses, and a chariot of camels; and he hearkened diligently with much heed./...And, behold, here cometh a chariot of men, with a couple of horsemen. And he answered and said, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, and all the graven images of her gods he hath broken unto the ground.

YouTube - U2 - Angel Of Harlem: Video

[From Songfacts:

The "Angel of Harlem" is Billie Holiday, a Jazz singer who moved to Harlem as a teenager in 1928. She played a variety of nightclubs and became famous for her spectacular voice and ability to move her audience to tears. She dealt with racism, drug problems, and bad relationships for most of her life, and her sadness was often revealed in her songs. She died of cirrhosis of the liver in 1959 at age 44.

Billy Holiday's nickname was "Lady Day." That's where they got the line, "Lady Day got diamond eyes, she sees the truth behind the lies."

The line "On BLS I heard the sound..." refers to New York radio station WBLS, where U2 heard the Blues and Soul music that influenced this. ]

YouTube - U2 - Love Rescue Me (Lovetown Sydney '89)

In those terms, Bono may still count himself an apprentice but there's no gainsaying the fact that he is himself an object of hero-worship to many. In "Love Rescue Me," the song he co-wrote with Bob Dylan, it's a theme that seems to be touched upon in the line "They asked me to reveal the very thoughts they would conceal" -- a statement, one could suggest, that had equal relevance for Dylan and Bono. So whose was it?

"The line is mine I have to say," says Bono, "but it's not about people coming looking for salvation -- it's more about people wanting to look into your soul. There's also the aspect of the performing monkey syndrome -- like those Victorians that used to arrive at Bedlam and poke the demented creatures. (Launches into hilarious toffee-nosed commentary). 'There's Iggy Pop in there now, look at him, he's cutting himself. And there's that Johnny Cash -- he's an alcoholic and he's on pills at the moment. Bob Dylan -- he had a motor cycle accident. He was a spokesman for a generation and it was all a bit too much for him.' Poke poke poke. 'Now here's Bono, he's going to talk about God and Northern Ireland and sex -- all at the same time. That's his trick.' Whack on the head!"

(from "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" by Liam Mackey, Hot Press, December 01, 1988)

"Love Rescue Me" was written with Bob Dylan. How did that come about?

Bono: What happened with "Love Rescue Me" doesn't often happen but when it does it feels really worthwhile. I just woke up with that song in my head. I said to myself, "Right I'll go have a cup of coffee" and I couldn't. I couldn't even go and have a cup of coffee or have breakfast because it was so strong. I was wishing it wasn't there almost but I thought, well, I'll just start writing it down:

Love Rescue Me
From the night's insanity.

That was the first line and I don't think it even made it to the song.

Love Rescue Me
Come forward and speak to me
Raise me up don't let me fall
No man is my enemy
My own hands imprison me
Love Rescue Me.

I wrote that verse straight off, melody, everything, and thought "Well... what's that about? I'll get back to that." I was going out to see Dylan that day and I just played it to him and we started working on it and the picture emerged.

People talk of the muse. Are there times when you just need to capture it immediately while it's here.

Well some songs seem to write themselves, whereas others you really have to work at. That was written in minutes. "Desire" was also written pretty quickly. I really enjoy it when they come real quick. There was a lot of verses that were left out of "Love Rescue Me." We wrote a whole pile of verses... the only logic that each verse shares is the refrain "Love Rescue Me." I like the randomness of it, the wandering way it goes.

(from "Bono Off The Record", Propaganda, Issue 9, January 01, 1989)

[...] "Love Rescue Me" is a soulful, country stroll, again built around a familiar chord sequence. The genesis of the song lies in a strangely synchronistic sequence, of events. Bono told me that while he was staying in L.A. he had a strange dream one night about Bob Dylan, woke up and began immediately writing a lyric about a man people keep turning to as a saviour but whose life is increasingly messed-up and who could use salvation of his own.

To his surprise Bono got a call asking him if he wanted to go visit Dylan and later the same day found himself finishing the song off with the man in his dream. Dylan recorded a lead vocal to the track with U2 but later asked for it to be withdrawn. Bono said the vocal was astonishing and taught him more about phrasing than he ever imagined he still had to learn. The excuse for Dylan's withdrawal was his involvement with the Traveling Wilburys but one wonders was the despair and regret of "Love Rescue Me" a little too close to the bone?

(from "The Making Of A Legend" by Neil McCormick, Hot Press, July 27, 1989)

Edge: I really like the song, but I regret that we didn't make it more our own sonically. At the time, we were exploring folk and blues and these different musical traditions, and we didn't want to tamper with them.

Bono: I disagree. I think the fact that the track is so musically spare suits it. I was in Los Angeles and I woke up with a very bad hangover, and the words and the melody were just going around in my head. I asked Edge later if he had ever heard it, if it was some old song. In fact, I thought it might be a Bob Dylan song. I was going out to see him that day and I asked him if it was his, and he said no. But we sat down and finished it together.

(from "U2's Pride (In The Name Of Songs); Achtung, Babies: Bono And Edge Evaluate One Critic's Choices For The Group's 10 Best Recordings, From 'I Will Follow' To 'One'" by Robert Hilburn, Los Angeles Times, September 12, 1993)

YouTube - U2 & B.B. King: When Love Comes To Town

YouTube - Heartland U2

YouTube - U2 - God Part II (Australia 1989)

DJ: Was God Part II specifically written to get back at Goldman?
Bono: Golddigger?
DJ: Golddigger!
Bono: Albert Golddigger. You're talking about God Part II, the song on Rattle and Hum.
DJ: That's the one
Bono: The soundtrack... of the movie... of the book
Adam: Of the film of the video of Rattle and Hum
Bono: Okay, it's on the way.
Edge (?): The book of the making of...
Larry (?): And the stamp
(lots of laughter)
DJ: The Rattle and Hum underwear
Bono: *I* want a Rattle and Hum stamp!
(more laughter)
DJ: Was it specifically written, or was it thrown in as an afterthought?
Bono: Oh, it was very specific. Um...
Larry: Pacific
Bono: What does pacific mean? I, um, think that, you know, that John Lennon is somebody that I really respected, not necessarily looked up to... or looked down, or even looked sideways at, he's just a great songwriter that inspired me and I really despise Albert Golddigger's attempt to pick a fight with a dead man. And I attempted to point out that the contradictions of John Lennon's life and times... You know, the fact that he was crippled inside, as he said himself, does not negate his brilliance as a musician. We're all full of contradictions; he was just brave enough to own up to them in his songs and we certainly didn't need to read a book to find out about them. But the more dangerous thing about Albert Goldman's books on Lenny Bruce, on Elvis Presley, and on John Lennon -- is he is really attempting to write off the culture from which they came. He is a New York intellectual who is attempting to write off Elvis Presley as the idiant, the idiot-savant actually, and John Lennon as a just a very screwed up guy; we knew these things.
DJ: And *he* knew it!
Bono: You know, he attempted to write off a culture that is rock and roll, and rock and roll is an expression for people like meself who aren't university educated and the like and I really objected to it. And God Part II is my statement on that.
(Applause)

(from an interview, 1988)

Do you ever feel guilty about the lofty position you've attained?

Edge: "No. I just take each day as it comes. This band is full of contradictions. The song "God Part II" is really Bono trying to express his own internal feelings of conflict. I have doubts, but I don't feel guilty."

(from "Hating U2" by Ted Mico, Spin, January 01, 1989)

[It seems that "God Part II" was a sequel of sorts to John Lennon's "God" (from the 1970 album John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band); lyrics to "God" can be read here. "Instant karma's gonna get him" is apparently a reference to Lennon's "Instant Karma!" ("Instant Karma's gonna get you / Gonna knock you right on the head," etc., single release, 1970).

The verse "Got to kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight" comes from the Bruce Cockburn song "Lovers in a dangerous time" (from Stealing Fire, 1984).]

YouTube - U2 - All I Want Is You: Video

YouTube - U2 - A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel

YouTube - U2 - Hallelujah Here She Comes - video by U2mixer

YouTube - Dancing Barefoot

YouTube - U2 - Unchained Melody

YouTube - U2 - Desire: 12" Dance Remix

"And the fever, when I inside her...DESSSSSSSIRE!"

I always liked R&H

BTW: (I especially enjoy the Hollywood Remix of Desire)

"And the fever, when I inside her...DESSSSSSSIRE!"

I always liked R&H

BTW: (I especially enjoy the Hollywood Remix of Desire)

The Hollywood remix is awesome. I really like the part in the middle when they're breaking it down, and the end when the lady comes in ('specially when she sings in between the harmonica notes).

I remember writing my last paper of high school senior year in June 1989 listening to R&H.

I've always loved that album. Probably in my top 5.

I love the studio tracks more than the live tunes, but there are amazing versions of Pride and such.....

The movie versions of With Or Without You and Sunday Bloody Sunday are the best thing since sliced bread, or to Bono "butter on toast" :sexywink:

I love these "I :heart: (Insert Album Title Here)" posts...I read through all of it...

Always come away having learned something new...thanks PurpleOscar

^Listen to this if ya haven't already!

Thanks for the video. It's always great to watch this.

My friend who is not a U2 fan (he always liked them but not to the extent to become a fan) watched Rattle & Hum and loved it. :applaud:

Rattle and Hum is an essential part of their catalogue. It helps builds the myth, legend and whole atmosphere of the band. It was the progression to everything else. I consider the movie one of the most important things the band ever did. And, I would not want to be without my Rattle and Hum album. Essential for any true fan of rock and roll.

i remember making a playlist of just the studio songs, and it was pretty cool. turned out as a 10 song album:

Hawkmoon 269
Desire
Van Dieman's Land
Angel Of Harlem
Love Rescue Me
When Love Comes To Town
God Part 2
Hallelujah Here She Comes
A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel
All I Want Is You

i remember making a playlist of just the studio songs, and it was pretty cool. turned out as a 10 song album:

Hawkmoon 269
Desire
Van Dieman's Land
Angel Of Harlem
Love Rescue Me
When Love Comes To Town
God Part 2
Hallelujah Here She Comes
A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel
All I Want Is You

I remember thinking the other day that Hawkmoon would have made a great opening to a full studio album of Rattle and Hum.

I remember thinking the other day that Hawkmoon would have made a great opening to a full studio album of Rattle and Hum.

VDL works great in the 3 spot too. i use the version without the fade-in with the live crowd and without the fade out.

I've always loved Rattle & Hum, pretentious and messy though it is. It's kind of a huge project, showing off as it does both the best (Bono's vox, band songwriting, gritty and rough approach) and the worst (live grandstanding, American R&B pretentions, Bono's preaching to the audience) of U2 at their biggest.

And yes, if you strip away most of the live tracks and toss in a B-side or two, it's easily in their top 4 or 5 albums. Personally, I would keep "Helter Skelter", which I think is a raucous ride and is a perfect intro to the record -- a clear-the-decks, anything-goes-from-here-on-in kind of start -- and get rid of all the other live tracks. Anyway, it was a very ambitious project that went from a casual, bootleg-type idea into a mammoth album / movie / book / everything project -- an approach that the band would come to regret.

Still, I'll take the youthful, raucous, gritty, in-yer-face approach of Rattle & Hum over the overproduced prog-rock for housewives that is No Line On The Horizon any day!

I've always loved Rattle & Hum, pretentious and messy though it is. It's kind of a huge project, showing off as it does both the best (Bono's vox, band songwriting, gritty and rough approach) and the worst (live grandstanding, American R&B pretentions, Bono's preaching to the audience) of U2 at their biggest.

And yes, if you strip away most of the live tracks and toss in a B-side or two, it's easily in their top 4 or 5 albums. Personally, I would keep "Helter Skelter", which I think is a raucous ride and is a perfect intro to the record -- a clear-the-decks, anything-goes-from-here-on-in kind of start -- and get rid of all the other live tracks. Anyway, it was a very ambitious project that went from a casual, bootleg-type idea into a mammoth album / movie / book / everything project -- an approach that the band would come to regret.

Still, I'll take the youthful, raucous, gritty, in-yer-face approach of Rattle & Hum over the overproduced prog-rock for housewives that is No Line On The Horizon any day!

i was kind of with you until the last paragraph, which is completely off base and inaccurate. but oh well, this thread is about R&H, so we'll leave it at that.

Would be better off as a single studio album (with Slow dancing and She's a mystery to me).
Strong tour though.

Would be better off as a single studio album (with Slow dancing and She's a mystery to me).
Strong tour though.

Good call on 'She's a Mystery To Me' -- I think they would have put their own version on this record, but maybe they wanted to make sure Orbison had the first release of it, so they held onto it.

'Slow Dancing' is one of my favorite U2 songs. I don't think, however, that it was even written when Rattle & Hum came out -- I think it first appeared live at the end of '89, which is over a year after the album. It is kind of weird that no studio version of it existed until 1993 (on the "Stay" single), but I suspect it was like 'Mystery', where they wanted another artist (Willie Nelson or whomever) to do it first.

Strong tour indeed. Here's a question: can Lovetown be considered a Rattle & Hum tour? I ask because the tour started a full year after the album. It'd be like if the next tour started next March -- would we call it the NLOTH tour? I don't think Lovetown was to promote Rattle & Hum as much as it was Bono's desire to get back out on the road and have some fun.

Good call on 'She's a Mystery To Me' -- I think they would have put their own version on this record, but maybe they wanted to make sure Orbison had the first release of it, so they held onto it.

'Slow Dancing' is one of my favorite U2 songs. I don't think, however, that it was even written when Rattle & Hum came out -- I think it first appeared live at the end of '89, which is over a year after the album. It is kind of weird that no studio version of it existed until 1993 (on the "Stay" single), but I suspect it was like 'Mystery', where they wanted another artist (Willie Nelson or whomever) to do it first.

Strong tour indeed. Here's a question: can Lovetown be considered a Rattle & Hum tour? I ask because the tour started a full year after the album. It'd be like if the next tour started next March -- would we call it the NLOTH tour? I don't think Lovetown was to promote Rattle & Hum as much as it was Bono's desire to get back out on the road and have some fun.

Axver should know this one... Slow dancing definitely sounds like late 80's U2, I saw a short video of Lovetown-era Bono and Edge playing it once. I know it was briefly considered for Zooropa but ended up a B-side. Here's hoping this song and U2's version of She's a mystery to me make it on the Rattle and Hum remaster.

I think so...sure the tour started late but it featured Rattle and Hum songs and the stage setup was different to Joshua Tree tour.

Back
Top Bottom