I "heart" POP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WOOOOOOOOO! I LOVE POP!

I think it is the most edgey u2 ever got (which I love) btw i don't mean edgey as in "The Edge". although The Edge rocked the socks all over that record.

these vids are all mustard! thanks for taking the time Purple.

Dare I say; Pop is my favorite U2 album. Please is my favorite U2 song. This album was and still is totally fresh!

I don't get these threads. Or how many of them there are. For every album I mean.

Seconded.

I mean, it's ok to love an album, but why feel the need to post so many threads about it and spam that many videos?
If you want a discussion about the album, that's fine, but I see no use in just shouting your own opinion...

I didn't love Pop as a whole when it came out, I remember being quite disappointed. I immediately loved Mofo and Wake Up Dead Man, but the rest took a lot of time to grow on me, so much so that I've only recently begun to appreciate If God Will Send His Angels.
Today though I am a big fan of Pop, however it wouldn't be in my top 5 U2 albums.

Seconded.

I mean, it's ok to love an album, but why feel the need to post so many threads about it and spam that many videos?
If you want a discussion about the album, that's fine, but I see no use in just shouting your own opinion...

This thread isn't any more or less legitimate than any other thread here in this forum, because every topic here basically consists of people shouting out their own opinion about albums or songs.

I love Pop more than you.

mepopkiss.jpg

melemon.jpg

(Both really old pics, and the first one's out of focus, but still.. THE LOVE IS THERE.)

AGREE! This cannot be emphasized enough!!

POP rules. One of their very best albums. If only U2 would realize themselves..
The great thing is that because they were in such a time rush that this album is (luckily) not overproduced. It's an amazing masterpiece and I hope one day U2 will play the songs again live. Gone, Please, Waku Up Dead Man, Staring at The Sun, all great live performances! Furthermore, it contains the best lyrics Bono wrote...
The strength and drama this album has, was not found back in the follow ups and overproduced, mainstream (but still great) ATYCLB and HTDAAB. Although the last two sold much more. POP is really underestimated and I have the feeling that it is concerned by many as a flop, just because the relative low sellings.

I don't get these threads. Or how many of them there are. For every album I mean.

Seconded.

Thanks, I forgot what was on Pop

Seriously?! I don't think i can spend any more time on this g** damn board!

since when did everyone become such thread nazis? f***. so many people around here have such bad attitudes and are really rude to eachother.

Galeongirl, i'm glad to know that you think everything you say is an expertise statement.

stolnfromthesea, if you couldn't deduct, from the title, what the hell you were in for when you entered this thread then... hell, i don't know what you were thinking

bono_212 if you weren't being sarcastic then I apologize for including you in my post.

Man, i really don't remember interference as such a high strung, mean spirited place. every other post is negative or an insult to another poster. What the hell. It's a freakin forum for a freakin rock n roll band and, frankly, a lot of you take it way too serious. If you think a thread really shouldn't be here, tell a moderator maybe. you don't have to gang up on a person and tell them how stupid you think they are.

I know that a lot of people spend a lot of time moderating and creating content for this web site and for that i thank you. but if the veteran posters just bully everyone then no one is going to want to come here. in that case you should just make it a totally exclusive place and let people in based on what you believe merrits them.

I'm not talking to everyone obviously but i'm sure you can figure out who i am talking to. I'm not in any position to chastize anyone (nor do i think anyone is) but i just think you should know that i think it really sucks.

well, Zooperson, first of all, we're on a U2 board. The vast majority of us have heard Pop before. There's no reason to post every song and b-side from the album in the first post.

Second. This is only the 20,000th Pop appreciation thread on the board. I would think by now people would learn to use the search feature and just agree with the 19,999 before them.

AGREE! This cannot be emphasized enough!!

POP rules. One of their very best albums. If only U2 would realize themselves..
The great thing is that because they were in such a time rush that this album is (luckily) not overproduced. It's an amazing masterpiece and I hope one day U2 will play the songs again live. Gone, Please, Waku Up Dead Man, Staring at The Sun, all great live performances! Furthermore, it contains the best lyrics Bono wrote...
The strength and drama this album has, was not found back in the follow ups and overproduced, mainstream (but still great) ATYCLB and HTDAAB. Although the last two sold much more. POP is really underestimated and I have the feeling that it is concerned by many as a flop, just because the relative low sellings.

Amen. The lyrics are really really great. I know the band likes to do one-take type recordings but I feel like it must hurt the calibur of the lyrics, no? it feels like on POP Bono took some time. Bono talks about how, one of his heroes, leonard cohen will spend a year writing one song. that's a little hardcore (haha) but i think you can tell what songs B-man has spent some time on. of course there are exception.

The melodies on Pop are really original, too. they sound so good.

I love Pop, it's grown on me so much.

I don't see anything wrong about this thread. After all, it's just another appreciation thread for a U2 album. There are videos in it so we can take a look and listen to these songs again. Maybe some people will get back to listen to the album again, others won't and some don't have to be reminded, while others will continue to not like Pop. It's all fair and ok. I prefer threads like this over the usual "U2 suck" or "Their last two albums are crap" threads.

We need some positivity on this board, seriously people, it's Christmas time!

I think people are just having a little good-natured fun and ribbing while we're all bored waiting for the new album. There's no need to get so upset about it.

well, Zooperson, first of all, we're on a U2 board. The vast majority of us have heard Pop before. There's no reason to post every song and b-side from the album in the first post.

Second. This is only the 20,000th Pop appreciation thread on the board. I would think by now people would learn to use the search feature and just agree with the 19,999 before them.

Dreamoutloud, if that is the truth then i'm totally over reacting and i'm sorry.

but i think that if i were the poster it would make me feel really bad if several people were so worked up over my post. It's not just this thread. I think Diamond was treated unfairly for her poll today. she even poked fun at herself in the poll but still people were way harsh. what's the point of that?

Bono_212, what's the big deal, again? U2 have 11 studio albums, right? and EYKIW is a forum for discussing the band, right? So unless you want to just talk about what type of dog food larry feeds his pets or why bono puts his left shoe lace over the right one when he ties his creepers then what's the big deal about several discussions about a particular album? It is the point of having a band, the music? isn't it?

No big deal at all. like DOL said, I was just being sarcastic. Especially based on the fact that I just took about ten seconds to do a quick search and came up with this thread:

http://www.u2interference.com/forum...re-awakens-the-rabid-u2-fan-in-me-184647.html

Which is a pop appreciation thread from this year alone. Searching further, I probably could have found a more recent thread.

Not to mention the fact that the OP just made a htread not too long ago about how much they <3 HTDAAB and posted a youtube link with ever song from that album too.

I know.

I know.

what is it that you know? i didn't want to assume (even though you people already think i'm an ass) that you were being sarcastic. i had a good idea that you were. i'm not a complete idiot.

but the fact that you would even post something as ambiguos as " I know I know" to Sad Punk's "Glorious!" just shows that this board is just like high school. there are obviously certain "cliques" and you resort to a bullying mentality to appear like you are correct. it's just wrong of you. How old are you people? I'm 20 yrs. old and i really hope that you aren't older than me because that would be very sad.

i'm handling this the wrong way. Last unicorn has the better idea. It is Christmas time after all.

I am in fact 21. Also though, Bonnie (Sad Punk) is a good friend of mine, and I was joking with her. It's all in good fun. I'm pretty much done with my sarcasm now. Didn't mean to upset anyone.

Hey some of these videos, like the videos by u2mixer, are videos that i had never seen before and i thought i had exhausted youtube as a u2 resource, ha. so i'am glad that i stumbled upon them here.

why sell anyone short?

I don't necessarily have a problem with appreciation threads or repeated postings of the same old fangasming and arguments.

But this thread is a little useless, simply because the original poster didn't even bother to start with any discussion. Simply creating a thread in order to link to a bunch of videos we've all seen before, without even saying anything else is just a little pointless.

Next we're gonna have someone coming in here and going "omg i luv U2" in the subject line and posting a picture of the band, and saying nothing else.

Like damn, we ALL love U2. Don't you have anything more to say about it? Can't you tell us why?

melemon.jpg

(Both really old pics, and the first one's out of focus, but still.. THE LOVE IS THERE.)

Awesome lemon and awesome collage behind you. Have you got any pictures of it?

my room used to be covered wall to wall with small magazine cut outs of the band but i took them all down and now i don't know what to do with them all. i don't wanna throw them out :huh: maybe photo-montage is the answer :huh:

I don't necessarily have a problem with appreciation threads or repeated postings of the same old fangasming and arguments.

But this thread is a little useless, simply because the original poster didn't even bother to start with any discussion. Simply creating a thread in order to link to a bunch of videos we've all seen before, without even saying anything else is just a little pointless.

Next we're gonna have someone coming in here and going "omg i luv U2" in the subject line and posting a picture of the band, and saying nothing else.

Like damn, we ALL love U2. Don't you have anything more to say about it? Can't you tell us why?

We need some "I love U2" threads in here, seriously. Sometimes you just need to make a statement without explaining or analyzing everything.

The great thing is that because they were in such a time rush that this album is (luckily) not overproduced.
I have come to accept that I am one of few on this forum who doesn't think this album is a masterpiece
but how anyone can reckon this album is not overproduced in comparison to their 00s output does leave me dumbstruck

to end on a positive
I rate some of the lyrics on this album as the best Bono(/ & Edge) have done

Oh, and Pop suffers because it was unfinished, whether that means rushed or not.

Or something like that. Most of it isn't just good live, it's amazing live, but it lacks a lot in the studio. I do enjoy the album though, but it's slipping down my rankings.

Honestly, I will never understand the love for Pop. It is truly my least favorite U2 album. While Please may in fact be one of their most beautiful songs, the rest of the album just feels like an unfunny joke. October has an excuse, Pop doesn't. They can pretend like the album was attempting to be ironic, and perhaps I would have bought it if the entire thing sounded like Discotheque, but it doesn't. The whole trying to make fun of the Pop music scene ends about two tracks into the album. The rest of it is poor U2 music.

I have come to accept that I am one of few on this forum who doesn't think this album is a masterpiece
but how anyone can reckon this album is not overproduced in comparison to their 00s output does leave me dumbstruck

to end on a positive
I rate some of the lyrics on this album as the best Bono(/ & Edge) have done

is overproduced the right word for pop or the last two? Obviously Pop had a lot more going on than just straight forward guitar bass and drums so maybe that would count as overproduction but i wouldn't say that that was a bad thing (quite the opposite). but with the last two albums i feel like it was overproduced in the fact that u2 might have wanted to make an album that was more palletable for the masses than Pop was.

I'm not trying to accuse u2 of compromising... but i can't understand why the band didn't keep the musical progression going after the 90's triology. I'm not talking so much about ATYCLB because i think the "back to basics" theme really worked so well. but HTDAAB is just an album i can't understand... all that momentum and then... not so much.

It might be presumptious but i like to think of ATYCLB and HTDAAB as a bit of a detour and the new album as (possibly) a continuation of what was going on in the 90's (strictly talking about musical craft).

I think songs such as Kite, Original of the Species, Window in the Skies and Electrical Storm followed the 90's material best.

Back
Top Bottom