I come to profess my love for Zooropa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Is that Zoo-ro-pa? Or Zoo-row-pa? The latter sounds piu sofisticato.

I chucked this album on the other day. And it's darn-tootin' fantastic, (kinda wish we had an MP a la Sarah Palin :() start to finish. The only songs I can really find a few faults in are Dirty Day, The First Time and The Wanderer. More soon.

First you've got Zooropa, which is the closest we've got to a Bohemian Rhapsody/Paranoid Android/Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast-type song. Two minutes of radio dissonance with some intriguing computerised noise, a few "what do you want from me?"s (this must be one of the most frequently used phrases in music nel mio opinione). The next two minutes we hear Bono setting up the song before it goes all squeaky-duck on us and then becomes a poppy, powerful final two minutes.

Following is Babyface, which I'll never understand the hate for. Great vocals here from Bruno, set to a tinklebox tune and fun guitar in the background. I seriously rate this song a 4 from 5.

Numb is a damn fun sing-along (I can get over half-way through) and though it's obscure I still like it very much, and the Fat Lady vocals add to the song.

Lemon probably sits as my favourite from the album. Substance to the lyrics, completely different, falsetto vocals, (una mossa corragiosa!!) rare vocal input from Eno, an interesting bass line and a wonderful, wonderful chorus backed by some quite pretty piano that can't be denied.

Stay I always thought was overrated but in recent times have come to adore, mostly due to the power of Bono's vocals above all else, especially in that final chorus, which is one of his best performances of the decade, career even. Edge and Larry also combine nicely, and that final snare (?) at the end suits.

Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car can be described as infectious, I believe. The dark fanfare to begin with, than that fun, moving, dancey drum kick (is this the MC 900 ft. Jesus sample?) which I can't help but whack along to (get your minds out of the gutter). I thought it was about incest somewhat, but then I realised it was le drughe. A top-class outro, which exploded (literally) live.

Some Days Are Better Than Others isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it's certainly mine (and that's quite a statement considering I think tea is very bland and I don't drink it) and I love it from start to finish, silly as some of the sentiments may be. Bass, fuzzbox, it all just works, and it's a good song for a rainy day.

The First Time I thought was All I Want is You when I first heard it. It's a shame this was the song they chose to play last tour, as it's nowhere near the best from the album, just a nice little number that chugs along making you feel all is ok.

Dirty Day I always have a bone to pick with, as I am of the opinion that it's a rushed, poor excuse for a solid rock song. That bridge is fucking woeful, and Larry's drumming has always annoyed me because I don't feel any energy (a la Beautiful Day video) emanating from his sticks battendo skin. Still, a lot of it is still quite good, the slow, winding verses sound cool, and the outro gives good value.

The Wanderer isn't one of my favourite tracks, but having said that I wouldn't change anything about it. It's my first (and so far, (well, discounting Ring of Fire) only) encounter with Johnny Cash, and my, his vocals are great. Just some of the instrumentation and repetitivness put me off. Sirens :up:

Grazie per la tua leggente.

Great post about a great album. Stumbled upon it last week and totally agree with you, except I'd like to add: Dirty Day live is so much better. It really worked for me ánd it has the power from Larry.
Same goes for the wanderer. That one live version of it is amazing :)

Zooropa, Stay and The Wanderer are absolute masterpieces. Numb and Lemon aren't far behind. The rest are great too.
Great album, artwork, great time. Other than Passengers, things haven't been the same for me since then.
I'll never forget the joy i felt when during the whole ZOO Tv era, then to add to that they announce that a new album would be coming out halfway through the tour. U2 really liked to shock and surprise us in those days.

Lemon
Stay
Zooropa
First time
Babyface
Numb
Some days are better than others

All those songs are little gems in U2 catalogue.:up::up::up:

(kinda wish we had an MP a la Sarah Palin :() .

Nein Danke, Australia should be beyond having such mediocre people as pollies....

Zooropa the song is just sex. One of U2's best moments.

A hard act to follow, and the album kinda gets a little wacko and all over the place from there...

Zooropa :drool:

(Did the song Zooropa win the last U2 song contest we had here? Or was it One Tree Hill? I can't remember which one I voted for now but Zooropa is one of the greats.)

Zoo-roh-pah because, as my brother told me at the time, the stars indicated it was a riff on the newly emerging European Union, also colloquially known as "Europa", but my brother told me that name wasn't gaining any prominence.

First album I ever bought with my own money, and I still resent it, despite spending 6 months or so trying to love it. Lazy work mostly; "Numb" and "Lemon" are exceptions and "Stay" is alright. Could have been a great album if the band had spent more than 6 weeks on it -- like, say, a 6 months. It could have written better melodies and had more songs than nonsense like "Babyface", "Some Days Are Better Than Others", "Daddy's Gonna Pay", etc.

I think that if this upcoming album isn't amazing a la Achtung Baby, the mid-'90s will appear the most squandered period of U2's career: Bono had a great voice, the band were on a high after the success of Achtung Baby and Zoo TV and were bold enough to try anything but also do great work. Instead they spent more time pursuing commercial crap like a Batman song and living it up. Very sad.

I love The First Time. That is such a great song. It is mellow, but I love it and we finally got to hear it live on the last tour. Lemon is a song I like a lot as well, but I don't think Bono can hit the high notes in that song to do the fat woman voice to play it live. I would love to hear Zooropa in concert.

Brilliant, thanks so much purpleoscar for that!

When was it recorded? It's clearly performed on the Vertigo stage with the light-bulb stage curtain.

Zooropa and The Wanderer are the two stand-out tracks for me from the Zooropa album. I've grown to appreciate the twistedness of songs like Daddy's, Some Days and Dirty Day now but in 1993 I didn't like them at all. Songs like Babyface and Numb, whilst having nice accessible poppy tunes, are b-sides in my opinion.

Is that Zoo-ro-pa? Or Zoo-row-pa? The latter sounds piu sofisticato.

I chucked this album on the other day. And it's darn-tootin' fantastic, (kinda wish we had an MP a la Sarah Palin :()

What the hell is wrong with you???

:laugh:

a. It's obviously pronounced Zoo-row-pa just like how Bono sings the word in the title track! :huh:

b. Why the heck are you wishing for a Sarah Palin down under? One is more than enough! :yikes:

As for the album, it's a classic of course! I love the spontaneity of the songs, as if they just threw it together one night and released it the next day. The best part is it doesn't even sound rushed. It's perfect. :heart:

sharing the zooropa love. was the first u2 album i bought, it happily acompanies me to sleep many nights a week .
stay is a fucking masterpiece.
:heart::heart:

Jen!!! :hug: Fantashtic album. One of my most listened to, if the not the, by U2.

Nein Danke, Australia should be beyond having such mediocre people as pollies....

I meant nel senso che so we have someone to ridicule constantly. I don't really care about politics, my vote won't make a difference, as long as I can live comfortably enough I'm happy. 99.9% of it is complete talk.

What the hell is wrong with you???

:laugh:

a. It's obviously pronounced Zoo-row-pa just like how Bono sings the word in the title track! :huh:

b. Why the heck are you wishing for a Sarah Palin down under? One is more than enough! :yikes:

As for the album, it's a classic of course! I love the spontaneity of the songs, as if they just threw it together one night and released it the next day. The best part is it doesn't even sound rushed. It's perfect. :heart:

I resent that comment.

1. Bono sings it Zoo-roh-pah in the song, not Zoo-row-pah. Unless you pronounce your rows like your rohs.

2. See above.

Agreed. Can't see your point muldfield, because this is how the album was meant to be. It sounds great as is, not rushed as Zoots has said, and if they'd taken six months what would the point have been? The tour would have been close to ending. :huh:

Except for the sounds coming out of The Edge's mouth, I LOVE this performance. Classy. It looks like they recorded this at a soundcheck or something because there is no evidence of an audience and the band doesn't look as though they're in the middle of a set.

They recorded it while on tour but it was beamed in for a celebration of Johnny Cash on CBS.

Edge really went Beach Boys on it. Just great.:applaud:

I also have a lot of love for the alarm at the end of the album. It's nice to listen to and snooze to it (in a good way) and get woken up.:yawn:

I also have a lot of love for the alarm at the end of the album. It's nice to listen to and snooze to it (in a good way) and get woken up.:yawn:

Ah yes, the mysterious extra bonus track that I always forget about and then have to make a mad dash for the volume knob when it jolts me out of a Wanderer-induced reverie - cruel bassas!

Back
Top Bottom