HTDAAB Commendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't love it, I don't hate it, but I'm with the folks who are frustrated by the sound of the album, that dreaded "loudness" issue.

That just pisses me off - like, don't they work with people who are supposed to know better? Can't the band put their foot down and say "fuck the crappy standards these days, make it sound good"?

Anyway.

I also don't mind the "freedom has a scent" line, although it's good for some gentle mocking now and again. :wink:

Love: COBL

Like an Awful Lot, Veering Towards Love If I'm In the Right Mood: Miracle Drug, Vertigo, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

Like: Love and Peace Or Else, Original of the Species, Yahweh (prefer the acoustic), Crumbs From Your Table

Meh: All Because of You, One Step Closer, A Man and a Woman

It's funny to look at that list - when I take time to list out the songs, there's a lot more on it that I really like than I usually think. I can't remember the last time I listened to the album all the way through.

You know, this was the album that started me down the path of U2 fandom...I heard Vertigo on the radio and immediately stole my dad's copy and ripped it to my iPod. Thus, it's sort of a special album to me, and I like a lot of tracks that aren't that popular around here: Original of the Species, All Because Of You, Miracle Drug, and so on. And COBL is one of the best songs they've ever recorded, IMHO. So, not my favorite U2 album, probably not even in my top 5, but I love it to death anyway. Really, really underrated.

That being said, Yahweh can jump off a cliff and die.

I also appear to be in the minority in that I love Miracle Drug

I think it's my favorite on the album :) I can see why people don't like it, but I do.

There aren't any bad U2 albums, and this is one of the better ones.

I always say that there are no bad U2 albums, or I don't dislike any of them...saying one is the weakest or my personal least favorite is always said wth that understanding.

HTDAAB is very heartfelt, I think. Sure, some things come off quite cheesy at times, but it's very honest and the emotions are just out there. I love that, despite the cheesyness.

It's funny - it's definitely near the bottom of my list, but I don't dislike it all that much.

Btw I like the Alternate version of Yahweh a lot. Almost more so than the album version. Great song! I remember when I got the CD, it was around Christmas time '04 and we were driving around. I popped it into the CD player and listened to the whole thing through. With the christmas lights it was beautiful. Somehow, someway the music really fit in with everything that was going on at the time.

I always looked at it as heartfelt, I don't think there's anything generic about it, it does not sound like the rest of the crowd for 2004, U2 have never sounded like their contemporaries. I love individual songs, unfortunately it doesn't have the cohesion their best albums have, and the many starts and stops in production left their toll and some of the best material off the album, but overall OOTS, Sometimes, COBL, MD, are all extremely memorable songs, Vertigo's a great single, Crumbs and Closer are poignant, LAPOE rocked live... and ABOY was way better in its original form :lol: (that's about the best I can say for it).

I will say that 'A Man and a Woman' has grown on me tremendously since 2004, mostly in the past year.

This post expresses my sentiments almost exactly! Except I'll say I can't find much wrong with ABOY, yes, the lyrics are a bit cheesy in spots, but who's gonna actually argue that there isn't much worse out there? I counted 15 cheesier songs just this morning on the "hit music" station here in Boston.

I get sick to death of people with a bias against this album hitting it over the head with "generic " or "watered down" or "pandering to the masses" or whatever. You don't like it, fine, but don't throw dishonest labels at it. End of rant, sorry.

Vertigo=great single, great energy, kick the shit out of everyone live track:up::up: I wouldn't have cried if Vertigo had popped up 2 times at a show I went to.(unless it kicked out Bad:wink:)

ABOY=Great song to blast every now and then, pumps you up. The lyrics get a bit old a bit fast though.

Crumbs=Ok, nothing special, but not a bad song. U2's done better before, but they've done a hell of a lot worse.

AMAAW=Underrated. I think, as many have said already in this thread, its kind of the sleeper track that a lot of us look back on and say "jeez, this is not only NOT U2 by numbers, it actually is pretty damn unique in their catalogue." I like it. I had a love affair with it in early 2008 and haven't listened much since, though.

One Step Closer=Underrated as well. I thought "ok, what the hell, doesn't do much for me, U2's done this kind of thing better" at first. Its really grown on me, and I think it is beautiful, atmospheric and provides a nice contrast to some of the poor production that plagues the rest of the album.

LAPOE=No surprises here. Nice concept, a lot of potential clear from the album, but something, no alot, is missing from that version. Live, of course, it took on a whole new life and kicked all kinds of ass!

COBL, OOTS, Sometimes=For me, these are U2 at their best. Pure classic U2. I am not going to sit here and say "top 5 or 10 or 50" I find ranking songs from U2 damn near impossible as I dislike maybe 5 of them in the entire catalogue. However, these are damn good, top tier U2. Pure, unadulterated passion!

We get carried away here, myself included, with insanely particular hair splitting critiques. There is no way any of these 3 songs represent any kind of U2 blatant commercial baiting or U2 playing it safe and splitting the difference or anything else. The Grammys are of course not always the best indicator, but they don't hand "song of the year" out of a crackerjack box!

Yahweh=Good, solid closer. The album version reminds me a bit of 40. "How long to sing this song" and "tell me now, why the dark before the dawn?" Actually, I think I like Bomb so much because there is a lot on there that reminds me of early 80s U2(which I rank higher, BTW) even in spite of the obvious much, much worse production. I really buy into Adam's assessment of Bomb as a kick back to U2's early sound in some ways.

2 BIG PROBLEMS:

1.)Lack of cohesion. We all know this. U2 have discussed it themselves. Like them, I know it is not a cohesive album, has something missing, does not flow right, etc but don't ask me how to fix it!

2.)Production: I am NO EXPERT on this stuff, but to me, the problem seems like less of a loudness issue and more of a mixing issue. I mean, War was loud and bombastic but the musical atmosphere- the background rhythm section was very clear, in fact, they stood out without drowning out. Bomb is clearly the worst mixed U2 album. Bono and Edge are turned up screaming in your face loud, and Adam and Larry, well, pop in that album and for most of it, you would think one was at a fashion show with Green Tea and the other was on his Harley while it was being recorded! I think the only time I even noticed drums on this album was COBL and Vertigo, and the only time Adam stood out was just before the Edge's ending for LAPOE.

I remember getting NLOTH when it leaked, listening to NLOTH and Magnificent and saying "jeez, Adam and Larry, nice to have you guys back!"

I still like NLOTH better, but we put in Bomb last year around this time when we were out driving around my Uncle's house. I hadn't heard it front to back in a while and damn, I just forgot how good that album is!

I will say this for Bomb, despite its obvious flaws and the fact that it is unlikely to wind up on the general public or my personal list of U2 masterpieces:

Go up to anyone on the street and ask about NLOTH, and if, big if, they even know about it, they'll most likely say "yeah, I like it, but the last album was REALLY REALLY GOOD, won song of the year with Sometimes, etc." It definitely has the general public edge on NLOTH!

2.)Production: I am NO EXPERT on this stuff, but to me, the problem seems like less of a loudness issue and more of a mixing issue. I mean, War was loud and bombastic

I might be making an incorrect assumption here, but I wanted to make sure you knew what people meant when they were talking about whenever they talk about the "loudness issue."

Maybe you know this, and apologies if you do and I just misunderstood based on your War comment.

But check this out. :)

Edit: It's not much of an article, but there's good info in the comments, and if you want to read more, Google "loudness wars."

The Loudness War: Why Your CD's Sound Quality Sucks

If you ever wonder why your CD sound quality has progressively gotten worse, you can probably blame the music industry’s penchant for loudness.

In a term dubbed the "loudness war," artists and producers have been recording CDs and DVDs at louder and louder settings (in effort to sound louder than competing artists or record labels). This is done at the expense of the dynamic range, which makes soft sound just as loud as loud sounds.

So, would Atomic Bomb sound better on vinyl? I live for the day when I finally settle in one place and can get a turn-table... Ahh, dreams.

I might be making an incorrect assumption here, but I wanted to make sure you knew what people meant when they were talking about whenever they talk about the "loudness issue."

Maybe you know this, and apologies if you do and I just misunderstood based on your War comment.

But check this out. :)

Edit: It's not much of an article, but there's good info in the comments, and if you want to read more, Google "loudness wars."

The Loudness War: Why Your CD's Sound Quality Sucks

If you ever wonder why your CD sound quality has progressively gotten worse, you can probably blame the music industry’s penchant for loudness.

In a term dubbed the "loudness war," artists and producers have been recording CDs and DVDs at louder and louder settings (in effort to sound louder than competing artists or record labels). This is done at the expense of the dynamic range, which makes soft sound just as loud as loud sounds.

No apologies necessary!

Like I said, no expertise on this issue from me.

I read that article and the comments about a yr and a half back, very interesting.

The word I should have used- given the soft and hard sounds being given the same volume- is compression. The range is being compressed into one flat, straight line.

Is that more like it?

Because if this is it, I definitely hear a TON of that on HTDAAB.

Like I said, big drawback for me.

So, would Atomic Bomb sound better on vinyl? I live for the day when I finally settle in one place and can get a turn-table... Ahh, dreams.

My vinyl HTDAAB still sits here brand new unplayed waiting for me to get my turntable and stereo system. :sigh: It's very pretty anyways.

Don't mind it. Some great, memorable tracks on there. Vertigo is among my least favourite U2 songs ever though.

Don't mind it. Some great, memorable tracks on there. Vertigo is among my least favourite U2 songs ever though.

That's how I felt a year ago, as people on this forum can attest to. I got over it. :wink:

Also, Vlad, your avatar is awesome.

Nice to see some positive posts on the album...way too much hate for Bomb on the internet fandom.

I'm laso a Vertigo fan. Especially live it really kicks ass. At my first (and only up to now only U2 show) they played Vertigo X2. I loved it. Then I thought it was normal to end with the song you opened with. :lol:

I like "Vertigo", too. Yeah, it got played a hell of a lot when it came out and I can certainly understand interest waning because of that, but it's still fun.

I definitely agree about the loudness issue. I don't hear a problem for the most part with the CD, but every time "All Because Of You" starts I have to turn the volume down a bit otherwise Edge's guitar is liable to puncture my eardrums :p. It actually made me jump the first time I heard the CD.

If it's not someone's personal favorite U2 album, that's cool. But to think it "panders" to any sort of masses, I'm not so sure. It'd be great if the masses could appreciate more music like that. But that's just me.

Angela

I definitely agree about the loudness issue. I don't hear a problem for the most part with the CD, but every time "All Because Of You" starts I have to turn the volume down a bit otherwise Edge's guitar is liable to puncture my eardrums :p. It actually made me jump the first time I heard the CD.

It still makes me jump when it comes up on shuffle. I'll just be driving or walking along and suddenly...BING :ohmy:

I hate that Edge's guitar is so loud at the beginning!:yikes: Hopefully they'll do a remaster of this album. And if bands are in fact recording at higher volumes to "beat" the other bands, then that's just plain ridiculous. Look I like my music LOUD. But there's a certain point where it's too much. I think the album is alright in terms of sound but I think a remaster would help. Go back and fine tune a few things.

I'm still just as in love with this record as I was when I first heard it.:wink:

Love the album...it holds special memories for me as it came out when my son was an infant. :cute: Love Vertigo, Love and Peace, All Because of You, A Man and A Woman, Crumbs from Your Table, and Original of the Species...

I hate that Edge's guitar is so loud at the beginning!:yikes: Hopefully they'll do a remaster of this album. And if bands are in fact recording at higher volumes to "beat" the other bands, then that's just plain ridiculous. Look I like my music LOUD. But there's a certain point where it's too much. I think the album is alright in terms of sound but I think a remaster would help. Go back and fine tune a few things.

I'm still just as in love with this record as I was when I first heard it.:wink:

God help us if the HTDAAB remaster is like most remasters: louder than the original. The Audacity waveform charts would probably be just solid blocks of green.

God help us if the HTDAAB remaster is like most remasters: louder than the original. The Audacity waveform charts would probably be just solid blocks of green.

:lol::lol: Or actually solid blocks of red. "This album is shit! Every track just keeps clipping." (Clipping btw means distorting.:wink:)

I just hope that some one fixes the volume at the beginning of ABOY.

Great album, don't get the hating. Also, One Step Closer is a wonderful song.
Only bad thing is All Because of You which is amazingly awful, and to add injury to insult, the alternate version is awesome.

It still makes me jump when it comes up on shuffle. I'll just be driving or walking along and suddenly...BING :ohmy:

Try being at a Vertigo Tour show when they just decided to do encore 1 of the following:

The First Time
Stuck in A Moment(Acoustic)
With or Without You

Then a short break, and all of a sudden, here comes the 2nd encore:

The first note splits your eardrums, then Larry, Adam and Bono kick in with the tambourine and you have no idea what hit you! Especially with the contrast from encore 1. I am sure, given the volume on the Vertigo tour in general, it wouldn't have been as noticeable after the Zoo TV 1st encore, but the acoustic?

It quickly became apparent that not only is ABOY a loud song, the rumors that Joe turns the dial all the way to the right for the encore are more than true!

I swear, a good 2 hours of the 12 hour post show ear ring came from ABOY!

The entire show start to finish was much louder than 360, and I was behind the stage with no speakers firing at me!

Like most of U2's output since Zooropa, I only put as much effort into it and like the few songs per album that I do because of U2's great work in the mid-'80s to Achtung Baby. If this music were by another band, I wouldn't be listening to it, I think.

I still enjoy "Miracle Drug" and "Original of the Species", but that's it. I knew those would be the only ones about a year after it came out and I stopped caring for "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" and "City of Blinding Lights".

:lol::lol: Or actually solid blocks of red. "This album is shit! Every track just keeps clipping." (Clipping btw means distorting.:wink:)

Yes, I'm familiar with what clipping is. :wink:

ABOY now:
screenshotaboy.png

ABOY remastered:
aboy2.png

Love and Peace and ABOY are two of the worst songs they've ever recorded imo.

One Step Closer is the only song I care about.

Back
Top Bottom