How would you feel if Larry or Adam needed a fill in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good Lord. :doh: That isn't just partial horeshit. That is complete horseshit. I would say that the majority of fans in attendance know all 4 members. If 82,000 fans show up, at least 50,000 of them know all 4 members.

i dunno, back in 2001, when i stumbled onto the fan site, i used to get muddled up between Larry and Adam all the time and i'd loved U2's music since the mid-80s :lol:

I think it's obvious that most people don't know Adam and Larry. I don't know the names of the band members of most artists I see live. Sometimes I don't even know the name of the frontman.

I think it's obvious that most people don't know Adam and Larry. I don't know the names of the band members of most artists I see live. Sometimes I don't even know the name of the frontman.

Yeah, there are very few bands where I know all the members (and they're generally ones I got into when I was a teenager and was too obsessive about shit like this). My two favourite albums are by Anathema and Pure Reason Revolution. If you put photos of either band in front of me right now, I'd struggle to identify more than one band member each.

I've taken heaps of people to U2 concerts over the years, from casual fans who just dug Sunday Bloody Sunday to people who've been right into them for years. Apart from people I've met on this site, I don't think any of them has known who's in the band other than Bono and Edge - nor have they cared to know. Unlike people here, who obsess about getting in front of one of the band members or whether Bono will look their way, most people just want to hear some cool tunes.

Yeah, there are very few bands where I know all the members (and they're generally ones I got into when I was a teenager and was too obsessive about shit like this). My two favourite albums are by Anathema and Pure Reason Revolution. If you put photos of either band in front of me right now, I'd struggle to identify more than one band member each.

I've taken heaps of people to U2 concerts over the years, from casual fans who just dug Sunday Bloody Sunday to people who've been right into them for years. Apart from people I've met on this site, I don't think any of them has known who's in the band other than Bono and Edge - nor have they cared to know. Unlike people here, who obsess about getting in front of one of the band members or whether Bono will look their way, most people just want to hear some cool tunes.

My favorite band (after U2) is The Verve - other than Richard Ashcroft, I honestly couldn't tell you the names of anyone else in the band. I know that a guy named Simon Tong once played guitar for them and the only reason I can remember that is that I immediately thought of Tracer Tong from Deus Ex. But then again The Verve isn't U2. If you polled the audience at the concert I bet most people would know all 4 members. But I doubt the same would hold true for people who would buy the album (or single).

For me I really stopped caring about details of band members once I was about 18 or 19. This was also about the time that my listening tastes expanded from a few bands and artists to hundreds (summer of 2005 was when I discovered so much new music, it was amazing) so that probably has something to do with it. I think as people get older they just straight up stop caring, in a lot of cases.

If I went to a U2 show I'd be a bit disappointed at first to find out that it was someone else filling in for Adam or Larry because it would be a special occasion for me (I've only ever been to one U2 show). As someone else mentioned I would wonder what happened and hope that it was explained at some point in the show and that everyone was alright otherwise. Once the music started I would just enjoy the show, and probably consider it interesting that I was there for a quirky time in U2 lore.

I'm sure it would only add to the story, really. I doubt that they would get some schlub up there to hit clam after clam on the bass for two hours. :shrug:

I think they'd just reschedule the shows until the missing member is well enough to play/sing again. In fact, that's exactly what happened in 2010.

I think they'd just reschedule the shows until the missing member is well enough to play/sing again. In fact, that's exactly what happened in 2010.

Because Bono in 2010. And because Edge in 2006.

Adam isn't 1/100 as important as Bono when it comes to a live show, or U2 in general.

Thus, the only show to not feature one of the four was Adam.

FWIW, U2 is the only band in my top five I can name every member.

But to be fair, no one should expect me to know the names of every E Street member (if pressed, I think I could do it) nor do I care who's currently in The Cure as long as Robert is there (though Simon is a nice bonus). Peter Gabriel and David Bowie are solo acts, so that doesn't count. I actually can name all four members of The Killers, but I can't tell you who is who. Um...The National I can only name Matt. At the moment I can't even remember the lead singer of Muse's name...I can't recall the name of the guitar player in the Heartbreakers right now, either, which I know is bad. Win and Regine for Arcade Fire, that's it...I can name all four Rolling Stones, at least. Stipe and uh...whatshisname, the guitar player, for REM...jeez.

But, for whatever reason, at the end of the day, I can name and recognize every member of the band Kiss, but I only know one song of theirs by name.

100% of concert goers know who the fat guy with the funny glasses is. At least 80% know who Edge is. And then there's the "other two". You could replace Adam with a cardboard cut-out and Larry with a drum machine and nobody would ask for their money back. And the drum machine wouldn't fuck up the beginning of EBTTRT during a major festival performance. Bonus! :wink:

But, for whatever reason, at the end of the day, I can name and recognize every member of the band Kiss, but I only know one song of theirs by name.

I think I remember hearing once some time ago that "Gene, Paul, Peter and Ace" was the 2nd most known group by the individual members' names to the public behind of course "John, Paul, George and Ringo"

The makeup has a lot to do with it.

Can you actually name the 4 current members of Kiss though?

I think I remember hearing once some time ago that "Gene, Paul, Peter and Ace" was the 2nd most known group by the individual members' names to the public behind of course "John, Paul, George and Ringo"

The makeup has a lot to do with it.

Can you actually name the 4 current members of Kiss though?
Are they not the same four anymore :uhoh:

Also, I notice I said all "Four" members of the Rolling Stones :doh:

Are they not the same four anymore :uhoh:

Also, I notice I said all "Four" members of the Rolling Stones :doh:

Apparently you missed all the recent flak surrounding their RnR HOF induction...no they replaced Peter with Eric Singer (who had previously been the drummer between Eric Carr's death and Peter's return for the reunion tour) and replaced Ace with his former guitar tech Tommy Thayer around 10 years ago. .(Other guitarists between Ace's first departure and his return for the reunion include Vinnie Vincent, the late Mark St. John and Bruce Kulick)

They do have Singer and Thayer wearing Criss' and Frehley's makeup though which never happened in the past...Eric Carr was "The Fox" and Vinnie Vincent had an Ankh on his face before they "unmasked".

As for the Stones I assumed you said 4 because Bill Wyman left officially a long time ago to chase teenage girls and currently the band officially has Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie.

Personally, it would be a bit of a disappointment for me if any of the four are not present at a show I am attending. Seeing a U2 show is a rare occasion for me, something that comes like once in 5 years or something. And I don't see more than one show per tour. Just cannot afford that kind of money on concert tickets. So, I would very much like to see all four in concert. Of course, if it were to actually happen I would try to make the best of it and enjoy the show. That goes without saying.

Interesting thread.

Tough call. I suppose I could go either way on it, in terms of either preferring that the shows go on or be postponed until another time (I’m assuming either of those two would beat outright cancellation for most people, including myself).

There was actually a time almost nine years ago when I was anticipating one particular band’s shows and their guitarist had to take some shows off due to a personal situation. The shows I attended went on with his replacement, and while I enjoyed them, I couldn’t help but think of it as sort of detracting from the experience overall. Yet again, this was a band where I knew the whole catalog and every member too. In addition, they were also getting great reviews for their live show at the time with that particular line-up, so I had been looking forward to the shows as a result of all that too. There were a few other minor things as well, like how the amateur musician in me couldn’t help but notice that some songs did sound a bit rougher without the proper time rehearsing these to a ‘t’, or some changes to the set list that resulted from the new guy coming in (both for the negative and positive, imho). But again, maybe that was something only a minority of us were noticing or even cared about.

Apparently you missed all the recent flak surrounding their RnR HOF induction...no they replaced Peter with Eric Singer (who had previously been the drummer between Eric Carr's death and Peter's return for the reunion tour) and replaced Ace with his former guitar tech Tommy Thayer around 10 years ago. .(Other guitarists between Ace's first departure and his return for the reunion include Vinnie Vincent, the late Mark St. John and Bruce Kulick)

They do have Singer and Thayer wearing Criss' and Frehley's makeup though which never happened in the past...Eric Carr was "The Fox" and Vinnie Vincent had an Ankh on his face before they "unmasked".

As for the Stones I assumed you said 4 because Bill Wyman left officially a long time ago to chase teenage girls and currently the band officially has Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie.

I vaguely remember that, now that you mention it. That's super disappointing for anyone that's a fan.

The only reason I remember Peter so well is the KISS episode of Family Guy, which is one of my absolute favorites.

I completely forgot there's no official fifth member of the Stones now. SEE! My point!

How would i feel?

Fuck it. IF the four of them can't play for whatever reason and its a one time illness type of thing i guess i would understand. IF its going to be more than a one time deal, then we have a problem.

To me, U2 is those same 4 guys i have been watching since 1980 something. There are no suitable substitutions, and i personally enjoy seeing all 4 of them on stage when i go to a show. Even if im in altered states, or stone cold, its all the same.

I dont want anyone else just these guys. If one is injured then postpone the show, if one is down for the count for an extended period like 2010 (i was supposed to go to utah) then cancel the tour until all is well.

Adam used to give me the funniest looks when i was in front of his part of the stage. Larry even smiled at me once. Bono grabbed my hand once, another time he shook his head "no" at me. Dont know why. Edge just grinned at the sign we held up. All four of these guys are pretty special.

I love the chemistry they have onstage together, i love seeing the four of them, it just wouldnt be the same for me if there was someone else up there. I have never followed a band like i have these guys and probably never will again. I dont know what it is...i dont want it to end...but there you go.

How would i feel?

Fuck it. IF the four of them can't play for whatever reason and its a one time illness type of thing i guess i would understand. IF its going to be more than a one time deal, then we have a problem.

To me, U2 is those same 4 guys i have been watching since 1980 something. There are no suitable substitutions, and i personally enjoy seeing all 4 of them on stage when i go to a show. Even if im in altered states, or stone cold, its all the same.

I dont want anyone else just these guys. If one is injured then postpone the show, if one is down for the count for an extended period like 2010 (i was supposed to go to utah) then cancel the tour until all is well.

Adam used to give me the funniest looks when i was in front of his part of the stage. Larry even smiled at me once. Bono grabbed my hand once, another time he shook his head "no" at me. Dont know why. Edge just grinned at the sign we held up. All four of these guys are pretty special.

I love the chemistry they have onstage together, i love seeing the four of them, it just wouldnt be the same for me if there was someone else up there. I have never followed a band like i have these guys and probably never will again. I dont know what it is...i dont want it to end...but there you go.

:up: :up:

This is the single best post in this thread, and I couldn't possibly have said it better or agree any more. I hope that when that final show does come, that I am there and surrounded by like minded folk as yourself, man.

Sent from my ass crack

This is the single best post in this thread, and I couldn't possibly have said it better or agree any more. I hope that when that final show does come, that I am there and surrounded by like minded folk as yourself, man.

Sent from my ass crack

Seconded. Exactly how I feel.

Sent from my ass crack

Do i win a prize?

Wait a minute...are you hitting on me... :sexywink:

Who knows, it might not be that bad. We might end up hooked on a fill in.

Sent from my fingertips.

Do i win a prize?

Wait a minute...are you hitting on me... :sexywink:

Get your mind out of the gutter!

Yes
You win a sleepover with the girls in pleba

This is an actual thing, yes?

:angry: :shifty:

Who knows, it might not be that bad. We might end up hooked on a fill in.

In the stream of this convo I read this as "who knows, we might end up hooking up". My mind has been probably overly influenced by Mikal, though. He likes hooking up at U2 shows..

Back
Top Bottom