How to Dismantle MY Atomic Bomb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

innocent_eyes

Refugee
Okay, I know this has been done 1000s of times, but I wanted to see what you think of my alternate HTDAAB tracklisting/song selection.

How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

Native Son
Smile
Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own
Love and Peace Or Else
City of Blinding Lights
All Because of You (Single Mix)
A man and A Woman
Crumbs from your table
Fast cars
Original of The Species (Single mix)
Mercy
Yahweh (Alternate Mix/complete u2)

12 tracks, 54 minutes

thoughts?

Looks good to me.

Also, this thread title made me laugh. My friends and I to this day refer to the album as How to Dismantle My Bomb. I don't know why but one of my buddies called it that one day and it just stuck. Good times.

1001.:hyper:

Native Son is so much better than Vertigo. At least it is trying to say something. With a bit more work and a bit more of a tinker, it might have got there.

Instead it became Vertigo.

Well the song isn’t really about Vertigo.

Not much thought really went into the verse lyrics. It sounds like Bono wrote it about what he did that day. Like a project for kindergarten.

Changed it from something of meaning to something of very vague, fluffy, inconsequential, nothingness.

As I was saying, it is part of the Blanding down of U2 as message givers.

Something they shined on through War, Rattle and Hum and Joshua Tree.

Where is HTDAAB’s Sunday Bloody Sunday or Bullet the blue Sky or Mother’s of the Disappeared or Silver and Gold or Sun City or I Shall be Released (both the last two not U2 songs)… etc etc etc etc

It's now all dumbed down, non-political, non-offensive music.

I’m not here to poo poo U2 or Vertigo.

Vertigo or Native Son or whatever Bono would have called it or where he wanted to take it; could have been U2’s most powerful song.

In the mode of their finest cutting edge social comment about oppressed people in this world.

But instead, it is a song about a “check-out” chick serving him at a supermarket or at a McDonalds.

Actually on a recount that was time number 1,000,001, and the album has still not gotten any better.

And For, No , I actually like the album.

And if anybody cares, I would have used this shot as the album cover...

16.jpg

Okay, I know this has been done 1000s of times, but I wanted to see what you think of my alternate HTDAAB tracklisting/song selection.

Native Son
Smile
Love and Peace Or Else
City of Blinding Lights
A man and A Woman
Crumbs from your table
Fast cars
Mercy

12 tracks, 54 minutes

thoughts?

Bomb is such a tough album to really fix if you don't like it. For my Bomb tracklist I had to use both Fast Cars and Xanax, Electrical Storm, Mercy, Smile, Are You Gonna Wait Forever and Big Girls Are Best. All I know is that Mercy should always end the album. Good choice using Native Son over Vertigo though. :up:

Ok, fair enough...

But MDH and ATYCLB were at least recorded about the same time and weren't released already several years before.

I understand what you are saying. When I try to make a better Bomb I have to stretch for songs. Hopefully the band will release some more songs from the era in future non-album releases.

Native Son
Smile
Love and Peace Or Else
City of Blinding Lights
A man and A Woman
Crumbs from your table
Fast cars
Mercy

12 tracks, 54 minutes

thoughts?

I agree with alot of this, especially SMILE! I cant understand why it didnt make the album, it would have been the best song on HTDAAB imo. the only reason that I can think of is that the guitar work is slightly like SYCMIOYO.

I also agree Native Son is better than Vertigo, it had a better melody and solo, and also an amazing vocal part from The Edge! much better than the cheesey "Hola's" we ended up with!

Im v disapointed by the album version of Love and Peace or Else, Because live it became a much better song, the solo was better, the guitar chords sounded v raw and more rocking imo, also the drum outro played live by Bono was not included, which sounded vvv good!

All Because of You, a tune with ALOT of promising posibilities turned out vvvv weak, over produced imo, which took the rawness out of it esp the guitar, if the version you are talking about is the one that starts with the line "next to it, i was so close to it, i had the universe decoded, and then the atom split" I agree with you, its better in every way compared to the album version!

Fast Cars is a song I hated on first listen and still v much do not like, with the exception of the solo part which is great! there is no elements of U2 to be heard on this track [other than the solo], and also I think Bono's voice sounds awfull on this track, I prefere Xanex & Wine but its still not a great song, I like the chorus part ALOT which didnt feature in Fast Cars

Mercy is another tune I can't believe didnt make the album! it would have been one of the better songs aswell, although I think it should have been shortend by a few mins, classic U2 sound is present here, great work from Edge, I think Larry & Adam could have contributed to this track alot more tho, Bono sounds great on this too with the exception of the v weak bridge " ripping the stiches" part, I think this song was not included because the guitar work is similar to Miracle Drug, but not enough to be left off the album imo,

I like both versions of Yahweh, I liked the simplicity of the alternate version, all the parts could be heard v easily with alotta space for the vocals, the "take these blue eyes" part is great also, the album version has an amazing solo part which should have been in the alternate version, I would defo choose the alternate over the album version, although I
would choose the live acoustic version above both.

just my opinion,
sorry all, v long message.

no offence but that would be the shittest album cover of U2's career. followed closely by what it actually became.

Actually it wouldn't have been that bad if it weren't for Bono's pose... That kind of shot works for a magazine though. It would have been 10 times better than what we got, hell I have blurry cell phone shots that would have made better album covers.

But other than that, I could have seen a shot similar to that being used, if they played with the colors some.

Vertigo is better than Native Son. U2 thought so. I agree.

don't you know this is the new thing in this forum. you take b-sides that are unfinished, intrumental, rough sketches, or otherwise totally suck etc- and then proclaim them better than the finished songs that were (in some cases) big hits and say how much better the album would have been.

this seems to happen with every album. like i read where someone was saying drunk chicken (utter crap, not even worth the tape it was recorded on) and rise up should have been on the joshua tree.

as for the op tracklisting, i like bomb as it is, except for a a man and a woman. i think smile would have been much better in the place of a man and a woman. anyone dropping miracle drug, you've lost me already. one of my top 20 u2 songs, and saying a song like the unfinished demo sounding native son deserves a spot ahead of it just seems insane to me.

don't you know this is the new thing in this forum. you take b-sides that are unfinished, intrumental, rough sketches, or otherwise totally suck etc- and then proclaim them better than the finished songs that were (in some cases) big hits and say how much better the album would have been.

this seems to happen with every album. like i read where someone was saying drunk chicken (utter crap, not even worth the tape it was recorded on) and rise up should have been on the joshua tree.

:down:

1001.:hyper:

Native Son is so much better than Vertigo. At least it is trying to say something. With a bit more work and a bit more of a tinker, it might have got there.

Instead it became Vertigo.

Well the song isn’t really about Vertigo.

Not much thought really went into the verse lyrics. It sounds like Bono wrote it about what he did that day. Like a project for kindergarten.

Changed it from something of meaning to something of very vague, fluffy, inconsequential, nothingness.

As I was saying, it is part of the Blanding down of U2 as message givers.

Something they shined on through War, Rattle and Hum and Joshua Tree.

Where is HTDAAB’s Sunday Bloody Sunday or Bullet the blue Sky or Mother’s of the Disappeared or Silver and Gold or Sun City or I Shall be Released (both the last two not U2 songs)… etc etc etc etc

It's now all dumbed down, non-political, non-offensive music.

I’m not here to poo poo U2 or Vertigo.

Vertigo or Native Son or whatever Bono would have called it or where he wanted to take it; could have been U2’s most powerful song.

In the mode of their finest cutting edge social comment about oppressed people in this world.

But instead, it is a song about a “check-out” chick serving him at a supermarket or at a McDonalds.
:up:

I think it's because U2 chose to release those leftovers from Bomb and ATYCLB (and bizzare stuff like adding a song only on certain editions of albums no matter how little the song fits). If no one knew they existed no one would believe they're "better".

I think it's because U2 chose to release those leftovers from Bomb and ATYCLB (and bizzare stuff like adding a song only on certain editions of albums no matter how little the song fits). If no one knew they existed no one would believe they're "better".

Wait, so you're saying that if no one ever heard a particular song or songs, that no one could have an opinion on said song or songs? You can't have an opinion on a song you haven't heard?

Revelatory.

:wink:

I would prefer just about any song without any meaning over Native Son
Native Son sounds so contrived that it's not hard to see why they decided to ditch those lyrics completely

I like Bomb but for me it is definitely not among their strongest offerings
but it wouldn't have been better by adding ideas that don't materialize to songs like Native Son and Mercy

I too prefered Native Son to Vertigo!. Vertigo is over hyped IMHO and the final nail went in the coffin when they played it twice on stage in 2006. What a waste of hearing another decent song! :angry:

I play Vertigo very infrequently, just to remind me why I dislike it, I wont go into a long winded post as to why I don't like it, suffice to say it just doesn't float my boat. Whereas Native Son I played today at work along with my other fave that got abandoned - Mercy :heart:

Perhaps Mercy evokes such fondness in so many people, it's the forbidden fruit :ohmy: You always want what you can't have :flirt:

The world would be dull if we all liked the same thing :up:

Actually it wouldn't have been that bad if it weren't for Bono's pose... That kind of shot works for a magazine though. It would have been 10 times better than what we got, hell I have blurry cell phone shots that would have made better album covers.

haha it's just the whole picture itself, magazine fine but for an album, if Bono was standing up casually with his hands in his pockets it'd still look awful :lol: i mean it's just the whole swimming pool, car, mix...i really wish they'd stop appearing in covers and just do something completely different, get Stanley Donwood in or something :wink:

Back
Top Bottom