"How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" mastered on vinyl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Von Schloopen

Refugee
finally got my hands on a vinyl copy of "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb." I've always thought the CD is master like caca, WAY to loud. The vinyl master is much, much better. It's not nearly as loud, which allows you to really push the volume and really bring out the lows and mids. The highs are set back into the music a bit, giving them a whole new presence. You can really get closer to the music, while the CD master just tries to push too much air. "City Of Blinding Lights" was a revelation. It's allowed to explode, wheras the CD master can't explode, cause it's exploding all the time! I could actually hear an electric guitar in the chorus that I'd never heard before. I can now crank "All Because Of You" from the beginning, cause that ear bleedy bit doesn't bleed ya, now I can hear the acoustic guitar. And "A Man And A Woman" is allowed to be driven by Adam with out a mess of highs competing with him. Edge's voice in the chorus is allowed to shine. Fargle...A Mess Of Highs...that's a great band name right there. Anyhow..."A Man And A Woman" become a new tune. It's brilliant.

If you can find the vinyl get it. It's ace.

Wow, I wonder if there's a rip of this floating around anywhere. I would love that.

Ya know how you can hear the click track when you blast the CD version of "Crumbs From Your Table"? I can't hear it on this, and I can hear another acoustic guitar.

If the CD master and vinyl master sounded anything alike, the needle would explode on impact.

I've got a rip, but it's not a flac.

Well, I wouldn't mind giving it a listen if possible. At least one of the songs anyway for comparison! Weirdly enough, I recently converted my whole U2 collection to WAV just to see how it'd work on the speaker system I plan on getting shortly. I'd be curious to try a vinyl rip on there too.

I regret not getting Bomb and ATYCLB on vinyl when they first came out.

Well, on the plus side, the CD mastering on "All That You Can't Leave Behind" is fairly good. "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" is horrid.

I've also gotten my mitts on a vinyl copy of "No Line On The Horizon." While it sounds better than the CD, the CD isn't mastered that poorly. It's actually pretty good. The vinyl brings out a bit more detail, but it wasn't as necessary a purchase as "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb."

Getting No Line on vinyl was easy.. my local Best Buy had copies sitting on the shelves a year after its release.

I own the vinyl of HTDAAB but haven't been able to rip it yet. I'd really like that rip through PM if that's possible. Thanks in advance.

I don't have time right now, but I'll try to send out links later today if someone else hasn't. It may be wise to start a proper request threat, hint hint.

Yeah, that's a good idea. I have a FLAC version of the NLOTH vinyl somewhere, and would love to do a comparison with Bomb, too.

Thanks to Von Schloopen,i now have a audio rip of the vinyl. What a difference,and you were right about COBL,its even more epic now!

Thanks to Von Schloopen's kindness, I'm also enjoying a listen of this version right now! He included a pretty cool picture along with it showing the difference in wavelengths between the CD and vinyl versions. It definitely gives you some perspective on the loudness wars with volume as of late, haha.

I'm sort of curious now as to how the other albums stack up via vinyl v. CD. Anyone have an general ideas about that? Or better yet, specific songs for example?

Back
Top Bottom