How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb 10th Anniversary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SOI and it's moments of "dad rock" (such an overused term) is almost perfect. I like the 70's riffs as U2 are from the 1970's! Hey at my age if I was in a band, I would be greatly influenced by the music of the 80's I grew up listening too.

Agreed on the ATYCLB music videos, after starting out strong with Beautiful Day, they shat the bed with Tomb Raider tie-ins ("This is evil Bono......":doh:) and obvious NFL american football themes of Stuck.....

Horrible! (the videos not the music)

HTDAAB had much better videos at least IMO COBL was great!

I don´t like 70´s art rock at all and those chromatic arty riffs...

Regarding ATYCLB videos, it is funny that on MTV video awards 2001 Bono thanked MTV for playing their dodgy videos in the past... It was hilarious to me, because even if those videos might be naive, they had something strong inside, while ATYCL videos were empty thrash packed with radio friendly music package.

I´m not a fan of COBL video either. They did a beginners´mistake with it. They took footage from after the concert band stage performance and tried to maek it look like it is from a real concert. The result looks very strange . Take a look on Wild Horses video if you want to see great video made of concert footage.

I like the album. Especially Miracle drug is a great song. But for me it's there at the lowest rankings of U2 albums. It felt as ATYCLB part 2. Shame that Mercy was left off. NLOTH was more fresh sounding.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using U2 Interference mobile app

Song for song, I like this better than ATYCLB (even though what I do like on ATYCLB, I like a lot)...other than New York, I find the last half unlistenable, which I can't say for any other U2 album.

But for me, this is the album and tour where I found this forum, made great friends, met the band, went to a bunch of shows and had a lot of crazy adventures. So it's hard for me to separate the sentimentality of all that and look at the album really critically. I tend to think that I would still like it regardless, though.

Bomb is a collection of great songs. There's no theme to the album, and there's nothing overly groundbreaking about what they did there, and if that's a deal breaker for you then there's nothing that can be said to change your mind. But its a good fucking album that gets way too much shit around here.

Bomb is a collection of great songs. There's no theme to the album, and there's nothing overly groundbreaking about what they did there, and if that's a deal breaker for you then there's nothing that can be said to change your mind. But its a good fucking album that gets way too much shit around here.

Exactly.

That said, that is one of the things I do appreciate about SoI, its thematic cohesion. But that doesn't mean there isn't a place for an album like Vertigo. I'm probably easier to please than your average diehard, but there's a place for both.

HTDDAB was my first experience with a new U2 album release and it was very thrilling. I followed all the rumors that summer with the stolen disc drama and was so excited counting down the days to the release date. I loved it and listened to it all the time on the bus and doodled the bomb and target logos from the album artwork in my math notebooks with red and black pens. Good times. :)

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Bomb was the first U2 album I ever heard. I loved it at the time. I think it's just okay now. COBL is a top-five U2 song for me. It alone does massive things to make me like the album more. I also love AMAAW and OOTS. Vertigo is good. Crumbs and ABOY are dreadful. Everything else is okay.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I remember September-December 2004 very clearly, the release of Vertigo, that Vertigo flash game, the build up of the album, playing it for the first time, being blown away by OOTS after the first listen, playing the album over and over early December. Good times.

I don´t like 70´s art rock at all and those chromatic arty riffs...

Regarding ATYCLB videos, it is funny that on MTV video awards 2001 Bono thanked MTV for playing their dodgy videos in the past... It was hilarious to me, because even if those videos might be naive, they had something strong inside, while ATYCL videos were empty thrash packed with radio friendly music package.

I´m not a fan of COBL video either. They did a beginners´mistake with it. They took footage from after the concert band stage performance and tried to maek it look like it is from a real concert. The result looks very strange . Take a look on Wild Horses video if you want to see great video made of concert footage.

I was actually in the audience for the COBL shoot. It was filmed in Vancouver so I guess I have a stronger attachment to it than yourself.

HTDDAB was my first experience with a new U2 album release and it was very thrilling. I followed all the rumors that summer with the stolen disc drama and was so excited counting down the days to the release date. I loved it and listened to it all the time on the bus and doodled the bomb and target logos from the album artwork in my math notebooks with red and black pens. Good times. :)

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

:lol:Used to draw Van Halen, KISS, Iron Maiden, Motley Crue etc logos on my binder in high school. nice to know that things haven't changed that much. :)

I was actually in the audience for the COBL shoot. It was filmed in Vancouver so I guess I have a stronger attachment to it than yourself.

Alright then, but most of it it wasn´t footage from the real concert, it was arranged audience for the shooting and it is always different experience. Moreover most of the time the video is too dark.

Alright then, but most of it it wasn´t footage from the real concert, it was arranged audience for the shooting and it is always different experience. Moreover most of the time the video is too dark.

It was a concert because they played Beautiful Day, Vertigo, SYCMOYO, and Walk On as well as COBL 3 times to get all the shots. The full stage and all the lighting was used. The entire Rogers Arena was full of fans, tickets were only $5 and as you were not there, your opinion is just your opinion. It was a special night and a privilege to be part of U2 history.

More importantly, the 10th anniversary of the Mercy leak approaches!

Nice... 10 years of this image! :hyper:

mercy.jpg

Well, while I'm here. Vertigo is one of my favorite U2 songs, and I don't really care what anybody says about that. Sometimes you can't make it... also takes a massive beating here, but it's another great one. City of Blinding Lights, Fast Cars (though I do prefer Xanax and Wine) are also awesome. Original, when they played it full-live band, excellent. Really dig A Man and A Woman, too.

One Step Closer has also grown on me a lot over the years.

So yeah, great album in the sense that it's an album? No, but the songs here are pretty good, and they really take flight live. The production sucks, but I don't care as much about production as most of this forum does; I listen to mostly live recordings, and these songs tend to take flight there.

It's boring, with a Coldplay falsetto bridge that's eye-rolling.

The thing is only saved by Bono's commitment and the finish. Compare it to One and you can see how insignificant it is outside the lyric.

My least favorite track on the Bomb.

What?
It was 10 years ago already?
Where has time gone by so fast.
Stop it, your making me feel old again :lol:

That was a great record. I really enjoyed the music on it.
Thanks U2 :applaud:

The thing is only saved by Bono's commitment and the finish. Compare it to One and you can see how insignificant it is outside the lyric.

I thought it was Bee Gees falsetto they were stealing from :) :) :)

There is no falsetto bridge in this song....

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom