How Interference Ranks The U2 Discography

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just U2. Which I guess would put it in the top 50 or so all-time. There's a lot of U2 up in there.

Ugh, Rattle & Hum topped that final round of ranking. Unfortunate.

The Unforgettable Fire with Love Comes Tumbling would be brilliant. I may experiment with a tracklisting of my own, though it will be hard for me to not be tempted to include Yoshino or Disappearing in some form, as my personal apathy towards Wire may see it's exclusion.

Pop is too high. Better than War and Zooropa ? No.

Good to see Passengers in the back. Of course Bomb has the back seat among the regular U2 records.

And :up: to NLOTH; it really is very near their best albums.

TUF is good, but its bonus disk is better than the actual album. I think U2 really made some poor choices when they decided which songs to put on that album and which ones to leave off. "Elvis Presley and America" is the worst U2 song of all time, and they chose it over "The Three Sunrises," "Love Comes Tumbling," and even "Bass Trap" (which should have replaced the boring "4th of July")? Even "Disappearing Act" with its slight awkwardness is better than some of the songs on the album.

:rant:

Wow, I knew there was a general dislike for Bomb around here, but I didn't realize it was that bad. It's not nearly the disaster some people makes it out to be. It's an album with very few peaks (COBL is the only real one), but a decent album overall if you ask me. :scratch:

I'm going to agree with you. EPAA is a very underrated song. I don't know about anyone else but I think it's one of those tracks that you don't exactly feel at first but then, if you give it several listens, it grows tremendously on you. Feck all the haters.:madspit:

:fist:

EDIT: About Disappearing Act being a good enough song for TUF, it wasn't finished until 2009. Just sayin'.

Zooropa, JT, Pop, Boy, AB, War, Passengers > NLOTH

I hate to disregard TUF; the first half of that record would beat the whole of most others, including some of the above (if they could somehow sustain that brand of greatness for 40 minutes, it would be in my top 10 all-time, I think) but the second half is diffuse and aimless, containing some of their most mediocre tracks of the era with inexplicably awful sequencing to boot.
and yet you rate Passengers above it?
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but apart from Elvis ate America I wouldn't even recognise whatever they bunged on the second half of that one anymore

Salome said:
and yet you rate Passengers above it?
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but apart from Elvis ate America I wouldn't even recognise whatever they bunged on the second half of that one anymore

Passengers is perfect for what it is. It helps that we don't know about the monster singles they arbitarily left off the album, assuming there were any. In contrast, TUF got fucked, and the disc bundled with the deluxe reissue is proof. Passengers is a collection of beautiful soundscapes for largely imaginary films that the band goes out of their way to describe in the liner notes in order to evoke a cinematic experience for the listener. And, keeping those ambitions in mind, the album is superb. Listen to it on a dark and rainy night, shut your eyes, and create the landscape yourself.

Can't do that driving your kids to a soccer game though. My apologies to HTDAAB. :wink:

Passengers is a loose collection of songs and some artsy(mostly Eno) instrumentals.

I've burned it down to a great EP and I love that EP, but the album as a whole gets far too much pedestal treatment in here.

Pedestal? :huh: It's dead last in the album rankings.

BVS said:
artsy(mostly Eno) instrumentals.

And this sort of attitude is a big reason why that is. I dunno what the issue is with creating art, but I am reminded of the original Rolling Stone review of TUF, which referred to it as an impressionist painting.

In my spare time, I don't even write music that could be described as "art" in the narrow manner that it usually is; I write pop songs. Big Star, Neil Young, The Byrds, that sort of thing. But I can appreciate artistic endeavors without painting them with the massive, vaguely condescending brush that is "artsy." Describing them as "complete bullshit" is far more understandable.

This was based on how many people posting? I should have qualified and said by a certain group in here.

I have no problem with "artsy", except that most of these are artsy for artsy sake...

In fact if you knew me in real life most would describe me as "artsy". So there was no condescending tone in that word. The key phrase in that sentence was "loose collection".

If you're familiar with artsiness, I would assume you have in your vocabulary a better descriptor than "artsy." :wink: It just comes across as dismissive, you know?

"Oh, that's just LemonMelon. He's artsy."

"Oh God, ew. Does he like Passengers and shit?"

"Both."

"What's the difference?"

"Hi-oh!"

But anyway, yeah, I'm picking a fight for no reason, really. I agree that the second half is rather disjointed, but the first half is butter IMO.

I'm going to agree with you. EPAA is a very underrated song. I don't know about anyone else but I think it's one of those tracks that you don't exactly feel at first but then, if you give it several listens, it grows tremendously on you. Feck all the haters.:madspit:

:fist:

EDIT: About Disappearing Act being a good enough song for TUF, it wasn't finished until 2009. Just sayin'.

Agreed! So that would be not seconded but...thirded? I love EPAA...

And I'd have been sad if Disappearing Act hadn't been finished; it's probably my favorite song from the 2nd disc, nearly my favorite of the whole album

Close battles were....

Round One (for 4th slot, after we determined TUF to be the band's third masterpiece via a previous poll): NLOTH vs. Zooropa

- This one was very interesting, and a very close fight. Had we done polls for this voting process, I feel that the results would have been very similar, except that NLOTH would have slipped quite a bit in the ranking. It benefited from people having to post a list in the thread, and who would be more likely to post than those that really love the band's most recent release?

Also, it's very notable that once all of those NLOTH voters had to choose something else as a first choice in the next round, they defected heavily towards Pop out of all the remaining albums. To me, this can lead someone to hypothesize that those that view the 90's trilogy of albums to be the band's peak are also more likely to see No Line as some sort of comeback album.

Then there was a very close fight between Boy and All That You Can't Leave Behind (with War noticeably back, but still polling well). Of course, once Boy won, most of its voters unsurprisingly defected to the War camp.

Rattle & Hum and October was decided by one vote out of 31.

my rankings are better than the so called Interference results:

1. Achtung Baby
2. Zooropa
3. Pop
4. Passengers (yes, it's a U2 album)
5. Unforgettable Fire
6. The Joshua Tree
7. NLOTH
8. War
9. Boy
10. HTDAAB
11. October
12. ATYCLB
13. Rattle & Hum

Bomb does not contain the shit that is GOYB, SUC, & IGCIIDGCT

Bomb does contain COBL, which is better than every song on NLOTH except MOS.

Therefore, BOMB > NLOTH

NLOTH (album version) is kinda boring. I loved it at first, but like most of NLOTH, its just fucking boring. The other version, sometimes called NLOTH II, is interesting at least.

I hate to say it, but out of all the U2 albums that have been released since Achtung Baby, NLOTH is probably the blandest of them all right now. I havent always felt this way, i embraced it when it came out. I guess this is how someone comes to terms with things over time as they age?

IMO, of course.

see, i think NLOTH2 sounds like U2 sucking all the emotion out of NLOTH (album version). it's like if you made a ham and cheese sandwich, and then removed the cheese. you can't remove the cheese.

thats odd because i was thinking that NLOTH the album version sounds basically like U2 sucking the energy out of NLOTH II. Like if you made a peanut butter & jelly sandwich but you took away the bread, you'd have peanut butter and jelly with nowhere to go....kinda like NLOTH

I alone find some Top 5 lurv for the Autumnal set

01. The Unforgettable Fire
02. Achtung Baby
03. The Joshua Tree
04. October
05. No Line on the Horizon
06. Boy
07. Passengers 1
08. Zooropa
09. Pop
10. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
11. All That You Can't Leave Behind