Hawkmoon 269 live (footage other than doc...)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silkensky

War Child
Was very pleasantly surprised when I came across this clip on youtube:

YouTube - U2-Hawkmoon 269

What a sensational song and an amazing performance. Great vocals by Bono and I LOVE his scream at 2:25. He actually sort of has a substantial guitar part on this, too, which is cool. Anyway I didn't know footage existed of the 18-Nov-89 Sydney concert outside of the well known Lovetown documentary. Are there other songs out there from this source? When they eventually do get around to the R&H remaster, PLEASE OH PLEASE let there be a DVD with this show in its entirety.

James

Okay, comparing this performance to the one from the Lovetown TV special it's evident that this is from a completely different show, am I right? Either way I love it and would be interested in knowing if there's a complete show from this pro-shot.

Question for Axver, outside of ripping the audio from the Lovetown TV special, is there a good audience/soundboard bootleg of the 18-Nov-89 gig in full? I've only been able to find a rather mediocre recording.

That is from the 9/27/89 concert. There's other footage from it, too. It was shot for Channel Ten, although I'm not sure how much was shown on telly at the time.

There's a fan-fucking-tastic version of Desire, for one. Personally, I prefer this performance to the doco footage by a long shot.

YouTube - U2 Live - Desire - Sydney Lovetown Tour

How much truly survives though, I'm not sure. We got Hawkmoon, AATW, Desire, I think some of WLCTT and a cut into Pride, maybe something else I'm missing on. Who knows, there might be more in the vault.

Question for Axver, outside of ripping the audio from the Lovetown TV special, is there a good audience/soundboard bootleg of the 18-Nov-89 gig in full? I've only been able to find a rather mediocre recording.

The audience recording I have of 18 November 1989 is pretty good; from what I recall, probably the best audience tape from the Aussie Lovetown dates (the couple of remastered Melbourne tapes excluded). Great show; one of my favourites from the whole tour.

Bonnie's post above is right about the other Hawkmoon being from 27 September 1989. I totally agree about the quality; Hawkmoon is sensational that night, and followed by what has got to be the best Desire by a long shot. Given the nature of news crew footage tending to only be of a few songs, I imagine the bits and pieces we have are the extent of what exists for that show.

For the record, I have also seen brief bits of news footage from 21 September 1989, Perth, and I believe the incomplete audience video of that show also has Hawkmoon, though in very dodgy quality.

The Hawkmoon in the original post is 27 September 1989. Hawkmoon was performed on only two occasions in Sydney - 27/09 and 18/11. Since it is different to the 18/11 version, sourced from Channel 10 Sydney News, and in the Sydney Entertainment Centre, it has to be 27/09. Simple as that.

In any case, we only have proshot footage from three Lovetown shows, all incomplete: 27/09 (the original post), 18/11 (Lovetown doco), and 31/12 (Streets and some of IWF). So this is open and shut.

Hawkmoon live = mega special. For no other reason than Edge's scorching slide guitar. And in full cry Bono's voice from this era is eerily powerful.

As an opener it is fantastic. I saw U2 in Sydney for the first time in 1989 and they opened with Hawkmoon. Listening to R&H the lyrics never much hit me before. But right then it became very personal. One of those special moments.

Back
Top Bottom