Have U2's 21st century releases done irreparable damage to their legacy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am very, very curious as to how they are going to frame 2014-2018 when the finally do release a new album. Each new era is a reaction to the previous era, and the previous era is usually spun by the band members in a certain way (“we booked the tour before we finished the songs”) that isn’t necessarily wrong, but is a bit of damage control.

It’s on them to fix things.

I am very, very curious as to how they are going to frame 2014-2018 when the finally do release a new album. Each new era is a reaction to the previous era, and the previous era is usually spun by the band members in a certain way (“we booked the tour before we finished the songs”) that isn’t necessarily wrong, but is a bit of damage control.

I think the time between will be so long that they might not even go there. We’re most likely looking at 3-4 more years so that would be at minimum 7 years between albums.

frankly i wonder if there will be so much time passed that it will even matter.

at this rate i would imagine we won't be seeing any new music until at least late 2022. there's not even a hint of any work on a new album going on.

we heard some rumblings about bono's autobiography coming out in the fall, but that's gone radio silent. B will be a bit busy with Sing 2 around the holidays. and there was the euro 2020 song (which i feel is the first time that U2 has managed to get something they're connected to reach a large audience without being obnoxious about it... i digress).

but other than that? nothing. adam said they had some songs written and ready to be recorded last summer, but there's been next to no news on that front since. perhaps they're staying quiet to give Inhaler some room to breath... who knows. or maybe they just aren't overly excited about creating new music right now.

To be fair, they were in the studio recently, but the only reason we know is because they told Steve Lillywhite, who then spoke about it on the radio. So they are working on something, but they aren't being too open about it - maybe because it's just early days, or they're being coy, or they're just relatively less likely to run into someone and give an update than they were pre-pandemic.

I agree though that late 2022 at the earliest is a good bet. Adam described the music as 'embryonic' the other week - I'm sure they're a very long way from being done.

Good point. While being too optimistic is a fool's errand with this band, we also shouldn't act as if they'd be starting from scratch and that they haven't begun work on a new album at all.

Good point. While being too optimistic is a fool's errand with this band, we also shouldn't act as if they'd be starting from scratch and that they haven't begun work on a new album at all.
Adam said something about a release the end of this year,which really means autumn 2022 at the earliest.

It's an unwritten rule in U2 fandom. Whenever U2 starts mentioning a target date, add a year on top. Sometimes more.

Yep, all indications are that they are not focused on an album right now. We haven't even gotten the "we have 3 albums recorded" talk yet and usually you can add 2 years after that statement is made.

Edge has to be 'on fire' first.

Punk rock from Uranus

tenor.gif

https://www.rollingstone.com/charts/artists/

clocking in this week as the 377th most streamed artist - two spots above Phil Collins!

Today they're two spots above Alice In Chains. Great band, but it's really weird that they're sandwiched between Radiohead and John Legend.

Metallica, Motley Crue, GnR, Bon Jovi and RHCP are the only bands of U2's generation to be ahead of them though, so that's not too bad and not too surprising either. Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Coldplay, Weezer, Foo Fighters and the Killers are ahead of them too, which I'd also expect. Well, maybe not the Killers, but they have new stuff, no?

Today they're two spots above Alice In Chains. Great band, but it's really weird that they're sandwiched between Radiohead and John Legend.

Metallica, Motley Crue, GnR, Bon Jovi and RHCP are the only bands of U2's generation to be ahead of them though, so that's not too bad and not too surprising either. Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Coldplay, Weezer, Foo Fighters and the Killers are ahead of them too, which I'd also expect. Well, maybe not the Killers, but they have new stuff, no?

Bon Jovi being ahead of them is very embarrassing,

Bon Jovi being ahead of them is very embarrassing,

Many thought the band's legacy would Always be at the top, but since 2014 it hasn't exactly been a Bed of Roses. Even here there have been many interference members who have been In And Out Of Love with the band. But all the band has to do is Keep The Faith and the long time fans will come back. Who Says You Can't Come Home, amirite??

Anyways, that's all I have to say about that. Have A Nice Day.

Many thought the band's legacy would Always be at the top, but since 2014 it hasn't exactly been a Bed of Roses. Even here there have been many interference members who have been In And Out Of Love with the band. But all the band has to do is Keep The Faith and the long time fans will come back. Who Says You Can't Come Home, amirite??

Anyways, that's all I have to say about that. Have A Nice Day.

It's My Life and I can have my own opinions about them, k?

Back
Top Bottom