Have U2 donated anything towards Haiti?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Many celebrities make their donations public to set an example hoping their fans will follow. Its not a big deal to make it public, its just a decision.

True, real charity is, however I have heard some actually state this. Once again nothing wrong with it, and we all know how persuasive some celebrities are!

The only thing I've ever read (and I don't know if it's true or not) was after Hurricane Katrina. It was reported they donated 1.5 mil each to the International Red Cross, including Paul Mc.
Don't ask me to provide the article, because I can't.
That was the only time I've read anything about any monetary amount they've given to any charity.
Not that it matters, but for those that have to have some kind of "figure", there you have it. :heart:

I don't need any celebrity to make anything public because it's my own decision to donate or not. Actually I think U2 shouldn't be pressured to make anything public. They don't seem like the people to me to talk about their donations in public. I prefer it that way.

I don't think they need to necessarily, but there is some merit to the theory that some (shallow?) fans of a celebrity might be more apt to listen to that celebrity who is asking them to donate (say, on a telethon or whatever) if they are made aware of what that celebrity has donated personally over and above just their time appearing on the telethon/song/whatever.

Not saying that this is the right reason to donate to charity, but I think in the context of raising funds for a situation like this it doesn't really matter why fans of a celebrity decide to donate - even if it's for the most shallow of reasons like 'because my fave celeb did' - all that matters is that funds are raised to help.

So for me the questions/answers are: Should U2 donate cash over and above making that song/performing it? Absolutely. Should they make it public? I see nothing wrong with it, even if it only gets a few extra bucks from the shallowest of U2 fans it still helps. I don't think the original poster's question was rude or out of line at all.

however, when Madonna donated, there was bit of outcry that she could have doubled her donation.

An exact example of "damned if you do". You don't announce, you get accused of doing nothing. You do announce, you get accused of not giving enough.

An exact example of "damned if you do". You don't announce, you get accused of doing nothing. You do announce, you get accused of not giving enough.

You are spot on with that.

I admit im not a fan of some of Madonna's post 2000 behavior but her performance the other night of "Like a Prayer" was pretty awesome. I do like some of her older stuff, and some of the new stuff is okay too. Might have to pick up "CELEBRATION" some time as it looks like it covers all the bases from her career.

There is some info about U2 as a band donating for the good cause:

U2 Donates EU5 Million to Expand Music Program in Ireland - Bloomberg.com
BBC NEWS | UK | Northern Ireland | Charity grateful for U2 donation
PR-Inside.com Entertainment News ? U2 TO DONATE TOUR PROFIT TO CHARITY

However, I am sure they donate much more, also individually. They are not hypocrite and put the momney where their mouth is. It's what a previous poster said, real charity is private. It's great they never announce the amount they donate. I don't like when artists, like Clooney or Brangelina, announce they donate $1 million...
That artists announce they donated, when asked about it, is fine. They should not say how much they donate. People are going to judge about it. Most of the times, people who do not donate themselves... And everybody has a different amount of money to spend. For someone hardly reaching the end of the month, 10 dollars may be a lot, while for someone else 1 million is nothing.

But ... but ... how can this be? I mean, clearly they hate Ireland for moving a portion of their business out of the country.

Donating $5mil to an Irish music program? Does .... not ..... compute .....

I'd find it very hard to believe if Bono didn't do anything for Haiti it just wouldn't be in his character not to do something for charity

Back
Top Bottom