Has your interest in U2 waned due to long gaps between albums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since I felt in love with U2...maybe 15 years ago... their songs have been part of my day/life in many different ways... never dormant... and I´ve felt my interest and fandom is always growing.... sometimes I see myself spending time in U2 songs that I didn´t use to listen to quite often as the best ones. I do listen to others songs but U2 still takes 99% of my time..no way.... and there´s no complaint about long gaps between albums... I´m sure they´re doing their best...or at least trying to.. :D

I really don't care a whole lot about U2 at the moment. My interest has certainly waned. The next tour will be cool, but in many ways I just look at chatting with friends in setlist parties and running U2gigs.com as "what I do online" rather than any particular expression of fandom. What I listen to has quite significantly changed over the last four years, and I think that probably would've happened even if U2 had been churning out material. As quickly? Who knows. But it was an evolution well in progress even when an album in 2007 seemed at least plausible, if not totally likely.

I have been a fan since '83. My 'intensity' as a fan has cycled up and down many times. Partly due to a lack of new material and partly because I had too many other things going on in my life that deserved my time. I have been very intently following the band again this decade. I am quite excited to get to hear the new album because my three kids (triplets - age 6) are just beginning to really enjoy music and they all like the U2 songs I play for them. They are eager for a new U2 song because I am eager, which only serves to get me more excited. The next year or two will be great, but after that I am afraid my enthusiasm (and my kids') will wane. 4 to 5 years between albums of new material creates a void which can't be filled with greatest hits or remasters.

I have been a fan since '83. My 'intensity' as a fan has cycled up and down many times. Partly due to a lack of new material and partly because I had too many other things going on in my life that deserved my time. I have been very intently following the band again this decade. I am quite excited to get to hear the new album because my three kids (triplets - age 6) are just beginning to really enjoy music and they all like the U2 songs I play for them. They are eager for a new U2 song because I am eager, which only serves to get me more excited. The next year or two will be great, but after that I am afraid my enthusiasm (and my kids') will wane. 4 to 5 years between albums of new material creates a void which can't be filled with greatest hits or remasters.

smart kids..:up:

I´m sure U2 won´t disappoint them :wink:

The last couple of years have gone pretty quickly for me, so I haven't had time to think about it. Since I stopped listening to U2 for most of 06 and 07, if anything there's been rediscovery. Also the odd bootleg and Youtube video keeps me satisfied.

And let's be blunt, I'm not excited about the new album, and U2 probably won't come back to Adelaide, so the whole 'gap' thing isn't really an issue. But hey, say I'm wrong - anything else is a great bonus.

I'm sort of on the same level as that one guy Axver, except I actually like U2.

Yes but it has nothing to do with gaps between albums

It's mostly just life, getting older, having other interests and priorities. I'm still interested in their music but in everything else surrounding them-no.

I was a big fan in the early days all the way up to Rattle and Hum, Then with the advent of the rave scene, and my interest in lost of different indie bands my interest waned, I still checked out new albums but was more interested in other bands,

It only came back after hearing Beautiful Day on the radio one day whilst driving in the middle of nowhere, It sounded fantastic, reminded me of the Joshua tree days and my interest was suddenly reborn.

It's cyclical for me. I'm more enthused now that I see a possible endgame for this new album.

I'll be really excited when more, official, information starts trickling in and we start getting some new song titles and a possible single.

Come tour time, I'll be riding shotgun on the U2 bandwagon...:yes:

I'd call my interest "dormant". Consciously avoiding U2 material helps prevent restlessness for the time being. I gave up on being excited when they decided to sit around for another 6 months.

I feel the same. Atm I find myself listening to other artists, and not much U2. I'm sure I'll like them again when the new album's out.

and oshi, chizip is back?

I was a big fan in the early days all the way up to Rattle and Hum, Then with the advent of the rave scene, and my interest in lost of different indie bands my interest waned, I still checked out new albums but was more interested in other bands,

It only came back after hearing Beautiful Day on the radio one day whilst driving in the middle of nowhere, It sounded fantastic, reminded me of the Joshua tree days and my interest was suddenly reborn.

Wow substitute 'indie' for 'house/reggae/hiphop', and we're very much alike in this cycle. I would say Zooropa - Pop era were low points in the interest cycle for me, where I was much more interested in partying till 10 am, girls and making dough than listening to U2 :shrug:

PS Galeongirl, that avatar is deeply disturbing, an abomination. lol

I have never "not cared" about U2 until HTDAAB. That album was the first U2 letdown I have ever known and since then my interest has been very slim.

I sitll love their other albums. I certainly will buy the new album and probably catch a show when they tour, but if it is not a return to form for the band then I will probably continue to care very little about U2.

And I should point out, it sickens me to say this about a band I once felt could do no wrong.

Yes. It's waned. I like most of the 80s stuff, but I'm liking more and more of U2's catalog less. Anyway, for people who don't want to listen to every little thing U2 have ever done (concerts, interviews, etc.), there's not really all that much material in 30 years.

I've been slowly loosing my interest in since the beginning of 2008, at first I became sort of tired or fed up with them so I began to look for some new music. I was discovering some new band literally every day and those bands began to dominate over U2 in my playlist. But still there was some urge to play one or two numbers every day until I read the news about new album to be released in 2009. That was the latest nail in the coffin. I felt like I'm finished with this band. The urge was gone. That lasted for about a month. Now I'm checking news, of course I spend time here, from time to time I play something. And I can't tell wheter the exicement will come again when the new album sees the light of the day but I feel it's not gonna be magic

Anyway, for people who don't want to listen to every little thing U2 have ever done (concerts, interviews, etc.), there's not really all that much material in 30 years.

Yeah, this. And I used to be a huge bootleg collector, but because most U2 tours are really quite nicely represented by a handful of shows, there's only so far you can go with that too before it becomes much more of a collecting/hoarding thing than a listening/music thing (at least for me).

You'd think there would be more to show for a 30 year career.

Yes, but then I chance upon an album on my ipod every now and again and I remember why I love them so much. I'd say my interest probably wanes somewhat, but not my appreciation of the music and the band.

A little. In 04/05 they were pretty much the only thing I listened to. I have a pretty varied musical taste and it has pretty much ecplised U2 over the past 2 years. I listen to them regularly but not often - and its easy remember why I love them. They're still my favs and probably will be for a long time, even if the new album goes the same way as Bomb.

I am definitely just not all that excited for anything now. I want a new album so they can tour again. I will always cherish and adore their old stuff, especially the 80s, and I still believe The Unforgettable Fire is the most beautiful, greatest album ever, but they've slipped from being my #1 favorite band. It's not so much I've stopped liking them as much as I just like Bruce Springsteen a whole hell of a lot more. :shrug:. When the new album comes out this post will most likely be obsolete

I've been slowly loosing my interest in since the beginning of 2008, at first I became sort of tired or fed up with them so I began to look for some new music. I was discovering some new band literally every day and those bands began to dominate over U2 in my playlist. But still there was some urge to play one or two numbers every day until I read the news about new album to be released in 2009. That was the latest nail in the coffin. I felt like I'm finished with this band. The urge was gone. That lasted for about a month. Now I'm checking news, of course I spend time here, from time to time I play something. And I can't tell whether the excitement will come again when the new album sees the light of the day but I feel it's not gonna be magic

I read this after I posted. I think this is really how I feel. Say what you will about being disappointed in the album pushback, but it was a real big letdown for me, and it came at a time when I was really just generally pumped for the album to come out. Here we were thinking any day there was going to be an announcement of a single. Then suddenly we're told that the album isn't coming out until the following year, at no definite time. It was deflating. And I'm just pessimistic by nature, so it was hard to see any good in it. but like U2lunatic says, I'm back to checking daily the news on what's up with the album, I'm just not sure that I'll be rushing out the store at midnigth to buy it like I did with HTDAAB.

If my interest has waned at all I would say it is not because of the gaps between albums but rather because of the albums themselves.

Back
Top Bottom