Has U2’s Music Impacted Your Consciousness and/or Activism?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rachel S.

Babyface
Has U2’s Music Impacted Your Consciousness and/or Activism?

If so, please consider participating in my dissertation research.

I am a Ph.D Candidate working towards a degree in Transformative Learning and Change at the California Institute of Integral Studies. I live in New York, and am a licensed professional social worker and ardent U2 fan.

My dissertation is on the role of U2’s music in the lives of listeners who think this music has affected the way they see the world and/or the actions they have taken to make the world a better place.

I would like to interview U2 listeners 18 years of age or older that see connections between U2’s music and their progressive awareness (recognition of existing economic and social relationships, structures, and/or institutions that are unjust and taking action to alter the oppressive elements of society).

I think hearing the stories of listener’s experiences with U2’s music that make them believe this music impacts their progressive awareness, told from their perspectives, will shed light on how U2’s music affects them this way. I think understanding the role of music in societal transformation better will improve our effectiveness as change agents.

Interviews can be arranged in person, or via phone and will last about 1 ½ hours maximum.

I am compiling a list of potential research participants. If you are interested in participating please e-mail me, Rachel E. Seiler, at Rae1307@optonline.net, or post your interest here. I will check this forum regularly for responses.

If you know of someone who fits the description above please feel free to pass this message along to them.

I am energized by the prospect of talking to fellow U2 fans who perceive the transformative power of this music. I appreciate your taking the time to review this message, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks!

I often feel awakened to the present when listening to great u2 songs - in a slightly different way than I do with other great music. there's no other language that can describe it. I don't know if it's a "progressive awareness" by your definition though. I do find that it helps in separating myself from stress, helps me "let it be", and to relax. I suppose it can be argued that that in of itself leads to the desire to do good for others.
I like how corny this sounds. haha

U2 are one of the few bands that have tunes that can get the adrenaline going
I love the songs that make you just want to go YEAH

Such as Vertigo, Beautiful Day, Discoteque, The Fly etc

I dont mind a sad song occasionally but only if the words have some meaning and by that i mean Miss Sarajevo - that is an amazing tune - also Sometime You Cant Make it on Your Own = immense

As i am very selfish i dont care much for U2's activism
As long as they make great tunes thats all i care about - i didnt like how bono preached at the U2 gig i went to in 2005. I went to see them sing not tell me about stuff i dont care about

I am Mr Cynical -

This is the real Bono
YouTube - Ricky Gervais Comic Relief 2007 Red Nose Day :D

P.S. - Sorry if this doest fit in with your research but good luck with it!

I am Mr Cynical -

Indeed. :huh:

I hope you have a nice life.

For me, U2 without activism isn't U2. I've learned a lot of stuff since I've been a fan, I'm interested in things now that I didn't know about back than, being a fan certainly changed my point of view of many things and it also made me think about stuff I haven't thought much about before. The political/social side of U2 is totally part of the music and of their personality, I could never separate these.

Early on, yes. I joined Amnesty International, then D.A.T.A.

Now, the answer is no.

I don't care for Bono's "preaching." "Do as I say, not as I do." Especially, when U2 legally avoided paying much of their taxes to Ireland. Ireland still has a much better tax break for it's citizens then the U.S. I would love to make up to $200,000 as an "artist" per year and pay little or maybe nill, in taxes.

When, I do have extra money, which since I have been layed off from my job. Will be seldom. But, somehow, I will still continue to donate to Catholic Relief. Or other charities such as the Maryland Food bank.

I don't care for Bono's "preaching." "Do as I say, not as I do." Especially, when U2 legally avoided paying much of their taxes to Ireland. Ireland still has a much better tax break for it's citizens then the U.S. I would love to make up to $200,000 as an "artist" per year and pay little or maybe nill, in taxes.

Man, I would do that as well if I could. I'm tired of that argument. Everyone tries not to pay more taxes than necessary. Apart from that, they are still paying a fair share of taxes in Irland. And they're paying taxes in the Netherlands which is actually one of the few countries that meets the Millenium Goals. I think it's wrong to assume Bono (or anyone involved in charity or activism) has to publicly reveal how much they are giving to charity. I'd rather they didn't, even if that means more critisism from people. If he did, he would be slammed as well.

I have to say that becoming a U2 fan has changed my outlook on a lot of things. Certainly in the case of the whole third world debt/poverty/Aids thing ... to be honest i never really thought about it beforehand, it wasnt that i didnt care, it was that i just didnt know anything about it (i think that is the case with a lot of people). Although i dont know everything about it now, i certainly know a lot more than i did back then (i was only 13) between Bono's tireless campaigning for change and the fact that im doing a degree based around that kind of thing. I find it kind of weird that people who are U2 fans complain about the work that Bono does, when it was pretty well known for many years (probably even before they got into U2) that he was involved in that kind of thing.

Oh and as for the whole, Bono's a hypocrite because he (and the rest of the band) moved the business side of the things to the Netherlands to avoid paying (high) taxes in Ireland .. i bet you would do the same thing if you were in the same position. Its none of our business what the band does with their hard earned cash. Why is it that people complain so much about Bono and U2 doing it, when there are a shitload of dodgy politicians out there doing much worse?

Sorry for going off a little there.

I have to say its a rather interest piece that you are doing, good luck with it

WOW, I am really intrigued by the discussion that has emerged here!

I definetely see a difference between the way people who have posted here respond to the MUSIC of U2, in terms of their consciousness and/or activism, and the way they respond to the WORK of U2 and Bono in particular, RE: humanitarian work, campaigning to drop the debt, DATA, etc.

My project is actually focused on the MUSIC and how the music impacts how people see the world and how they act in the world...

Is anyone who has posted here interested in actually being interviewed, either over the phone, or in-person (depending on your location and availability) for my dissertation research? Participating in my research, as I said above, would involve 1 main interview (1 1/2 hours max) and 1 brief follow-up interview.

I think all of you who have posted thus far would have a lot to contribute and perspectives that would be valuable to my work (which I am hoping to present at the U2 conference taking place in NYC in May 2009). U2 Academic Conference | 2009

If you'd like to be interviewed, please e-mail me at Rae1307@otponline.net. I can tell you more about my project, and we can discuss your potential involvement.

Thanks!

U2s effects on me have been weird (including, I think, pushing me to... the right), but I'm under 18, so you probably don't want my opinion. :reject:

Man, I would do that as well if I could. I'm tired of that argument. Everyone tries not to pay more taxes than necessary.

I'd happily pay a little bit more in taxes for higher quality public hospitals, public transport, better roads etc etc.

As someone who lives in Ireland (I would presume, for a decent amount of time each year) he has some type of responsibility to pay taxes there, rather than the Netherlands, who no doubt appreciate the money.

(which I am hoping to present at the U2 conference taking place in NYC in May 2009). U2 Academic Conference | 2009
Thanks!

Do you attend Cedarville University? U2 Academic Conference | 2009
Who set up this conference?

Of course I don't know everything that's going on, but this event is in May. That's 5 months away.
We haven't even gotten album/tour information yet.

I understand what you are asking for. But I would like to know more than what you have provided before talking to you.

WOW, I am really intrigued by the discussion that has emerged here!

I definetely see a difference between the way people who have posted here respond to the MUSIC of U2, in terms of their consciousness and/or activism, and the way they respond to the WORK of U2 and Bono in particular, RE: humanitarian work, campaigning to drop the debt, DATA, etc.

My project is actually focused on the MUSIC and how the music impacts how people see the world and how they act in the world...

Is anyone who has posted here interested in actually being interviewed, either over the phone, or in-person (depending on your location and availability) for my dissertation research? Participating in my research, as I said above, would involve 1 main interview (1 1/2 hours max) and 1 brief follow-up interview.

I think all of you who have posted thus far would have a lot to contribute and perspectives that would be valuable to my work (which I am hoping to present at the U2 conference taking place in NYC in May 2009). U2 Academic Conference | 2009

If you'd like to be interviewed, please e-mail me at Rae1307@otponline.net. I can tell you more about my project, and we can discuss your potential involvement.

Thanks!

Now, I understand your thesis.

My opinion would be yes. I feel that in the early eighties, U2, brought state side, a greater understanding of The Troubles which plagued Northern Ireland for decades. Sunday Bloody Sunday, did not glorify civil war, instead it it painted a bleak picture, of the horrors that so many innocents suffered. I think "broken bottles under children's feet" said it all.

And to back track to two other posters. No, I wouldn't avoid paying my taxes. Since, tax money is used in a multitude of ways. In my own country and abroad. I don't want to see people dying from preventable diseases or to go without the basic needs that all humans should be entitled to. I feel it is my moral and social obligation to help my brother or sister in need.

^ Yeah, if only it was so easy to decide where your tax money is going to.

I do agree with tax money going into education, science, health, the social system.

I don't agree with tax money going into banks for a bailout of a crises that was caused by some greedy managers. We're talking about billions here.

If you think U2 don't pay taxes in Ireland you're poorly informed. They live there, they have investments, people work for them, lots of stuff. The publishing is only a little part of it.

But I think the tax thing should be a whole different issue.

I'm sorry, it has been a terrible week for me. And you are right. It is none of my business in regards to U2's decisions. They have to do what they feel is in the best interest of their employees.

Take care, LU :wave:

U2 would not be half as big as they are if it was not for Bono's humanitarian act

He's a good businessman

Say a few things about Africa = sell loads of records

Clever man

U2 would not be half as big as they are if it was not for Bono's humanitarian act

He's a good businessman

Say a few things about Africa = sell loads of records

Clever man

Uhhh yeah...:|

With that logic Midnight Oil would have been one of the biggest bands ever...

Bono has certainly brought a greater awareness to me, in regards to Africa. I had no idea how desperate the situation was especially with Polio and Malaria. Diseases that are almost unheard of in America and Europe. We have the medicines and much more sanitary living conditions, such as clean drinking water. Relating this to U2's music. "Crumbs.." is a song, which certainly hits home for me.

The crumbs from my table, are given to several charities that not only help children in Africa, but in Haiti as well. If I had never listened to or read about, Bono's campaigning to President Bush and others in government. I doubt very seriously. I would have known to the extent. I do now. Since, rarely, if ever, this would have been on our seven o'clock news.

There will never be peace and there will always be inequality in this world

You may as well concentrate on making the best of what you can for yourself and your family

I dont think about all the bad stuff in the world, as i cant do anything about it

Why buy fairtrade food if its more expensive?

I'd say that U2 music made me change my way of looking at the world, made me think more open-mindedly about world around me, to think about every important issue in the world more cautiously. A one particular song which had the biggest impact on this was Bullet the Blue Sky.
Regarding the activities it was more their activism. I started buying fair trade products, made some donations to africa, joined ONE and so on...
I'd be different person if I wouldn't listen to U2

There will never be peace and there will always be inequality in this world

You may as well concentrate on making the best of what you can for yourself and your family

I dont think about all the bad stuff in the world, as i cant do anything about it

Why buy fairtrade food if its more expensive?

But you can do something good even if it's just a small thing. And when everybody does, they do something about bad stuff, you can contribute to it.
And why buy fairtrade food? there is the reason why is it expensive so that it can more effectively help those who need it. And fairtrade products are usually of far better quality than "normal" products

But i love cadbury's chocolate and its cheaper than the fairtrade stuff

You have to look at your own situation before helping others

If i cant afford to pay for expensive food, it would be silly to pay more

Sometimes reality takes over peoples principles

Re. the tax thing, from what I understand the Dutch have a better record of following through with promises about foreign aid, and the Irish have not such a good record. We'll stipulate that Bono cannot change where he was born and is a citizen. So, if you are in a position to chose where to pay some of your taxes, why not choose where the tax money is most likely going to be used on what you're preaching about? Plus they pay a gazillion other taxes in Ireland already.

I suppose I'm in a different position to most of the posters in this thread (one of the best in this forum btw) just because I can remember Live Aid, a bit misty in my mind, but I do, I remember that terrifying ad on tv showing us a little boy clearly suffering from the famine trying to stand up and not being able to because he was so weak. I don't remember watching U2 performing, I think I didn't know U2 existed at that time, but I remember my father trying to explain to me that so many people were dying in Ethiopia and that governments were doing nothing about. That caused an enduring impact in my mind.
U2's impact came the following years, I found it great you didn't have to be a princess or a saint to try to help people, they were key to complete my understanding of the problem and my involvement in it, and later in my evolution from charity to justice in the issue, also altough there's a difference in age, not so great now as it seemed in the past, and coming from different countries, I find surprising how similar our perspectives are in many topics:from peace to terrorism, I guess some come from similar readings, situations, but many should be due to their influence through their music.
When Bono took his role in the Millenium Goals I didn't like it very much, nor his new "bipartisan" perspective, it was hard for me to watch his photograph near George W. Bush, I think I now understand what he's trying to do and what he's risking, and although I would have liked it through different means,I hope he gets his goals and I will help to it if I can.

About the tax problem mentioned above I don't know if you are aware that most foreigner companies, giants like Google, for example, have their haedquarters in Ireland because they don't pay taxes, nothing, 0, and that artists' rate was increased from one year to the next in almost a 30%, don't know if you know there's been a great scandal about public founds disappearing from the arks during the later's Prime Minister government, together with the incredible increase in his patrimony and that it hasn't been investigated. I don't think u2 are stealing anything, they are being clever with their money and as I told you before I find it wonderful you don't have to be a princess or a saint to be useful to other people.

I remember watching Live Aid on television, and though my husband and I lived in a tiny two bedroom apartment. We were working class poor. Though, our infant son was very well care for. We made sure of this.

In contrast, the African children were at death's door. It made me cry. It could have been my child. If I lived in Africa. I offered silent prayers to my God, thanking him for all of the blessings that we did have. Especially for the child who grew to be a beautiful, educated and healthy young man.

Being poor in America or Europe is not where near the extreme poverty that over one billion of our brothers and sisters must endure every day of their lives. We have the opportunity for education and employment, and while most of us do live pay check to pay check. We don't have to worry. Will I be able to feed my child today?

U2 has brought awareness on a global scale. They have taken the "forgotten ones" out of the alley ways and shanties, and given them a voice. I know they have made me much more aware of the social issues this generation must address. Or as Bono says, "We will be judged very harshly."

Back
Top Bottom