Has U2 Peaked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i keep getting a funny feeling that u2 will be touring arenas in 2012, in support of their new album that didn't get released this may but will coincidently be ready in time for the holiday season.

the stage will be sorta like 360 lite... perhaps even a true "in the round" set up with the screens hanging from the roof, which would be relatively cheap to do compared to the massive complexities of taking 360 on tour. that way they could maximize the profits off of a new album.

hell, maybe broken bells will even be the opening act... this way mr. mouse can help them recreate the sound that they created in the studio.

the more i think about this, the more i think about how u2 usually operates, the more this makes sense.

i keep getting a funny feeling that u2 will be touring arenas in 2012, in support of their new album that didn't get released this may but will coincidently be ready in time for the holiday season.

the stage will be sorta like 360 lite... perhaps even a true "in the round" set up with the screens hanging from the roof, which would be relatively cheap to do compared to the massive complexities of taking 360 on tour. that way they could maximize the profits off of a new album.

hell, maybe broken bells will even be the opening act... this way mr. mouse can help them recreate the sound that they created in the studio.

the more i think about this, the more i think about how u2 usually operates, the more this makes sense.

:up:

If U2 do not release an album right before hitting NA on the tour, there will not be an album out in the near future. As discussed, multiple reasons exist - ranging from Spider-Man to being "scared" to release the current material. Regardless of the rationale, if there is no album before the NA tour, then I agree - may as well wait until holiday time either this year (and cash in on the biggest CD selling season of the year) or holiday time in 2012, with a new, smaller tour in 2013. And what you described above, Headache, sounds about right.

U2’s popularity has peaked, sure. 1987-1993 and then 2000-2006. I’m not going to go on about the same old dribble about how PopMart wasn’t as big as the fucking Joshua Tree or Zoo TV so I’ll leave those years out. The music industry has changed a lot in the last 10 years, and ya can’t stop that. You also can’t blame it, in reality.

Has the band peaked musically? The answer is dependent on the individual, but I think, for as long as they are writing songs, nobody will ever know. 50 years from now we might be saying “wow that 360 and NLOTH tour/album was great. God the album they put out in 2013 (“Songs from the Sewer”) sucked, I mean Adam on lead vocals? Bono on guitar? Can you really believe this stage setup?” This (hopefully) obviously won’t be the case, since the band is probably going to avoid another 1996, at least for as long as McGuiness is in charge. But from what we have heard of the ‘new stuff’ its not utter trash. I actually like North Star a whole lot. Every Breaking Wave is more of the same, but a beautiful tune. Glasto is a great rocker, and the newer Mercy is a grower. (due to Spidey events I don’t think we’ll ever see BFFTS…but I’ve been wrong before!....maybe as a snippet in BTBS? BTBS -> BFFS. Dyslexic much? Add in THTBA, WGRYWH and you are set)

Plus the whole never top Elevation, Vertigo Tours has been put to bed. The setlist, I’m still not sold on completely…but Do I go to all the shows? No. Only Cathl can answer that question ;) Never top Zoo TV? Different era mate. This tour and stage setup has been amazing.

But so what if they tour without an album to promote? Thousands of fans will get to go see them perform their "greatest hits." OH MY GOD, THE HORROR! What a nightmare! Who wants to go see U2 play U2 songs, amirite????

If you don't want to go see them, if you'd rather be interested in new music from them, great! Be disappointed, be sad and nostalgic that you wished they were still putting out music you enjoyed.

So much win here :up:

What happens when there is no U2 anymore and somone isthe person that decides not to go to the last show ever because the setlist at the last show ever is going to be crap? I'll go see them live for as long as I can. I want to go over to Moncton, because ya know, you never know? A friend has the same feelings with Tori. What happens if they don't find the inspiration again, aren't fit to tour. Pull the pin on the band altogether.

This tour got unnaturallly enlarged because of Bono's injury and surgery, when they finish it they'll have been on the road for more than two years and they must be tired.

if you remember the Zootv era when they released Zooropa in the middle of it, you will also remember they have always said that doing it almost killed them, there were a lot of problems in the band, everyone paid his toll, but especially Bono with his voice and Adam with personal "suffering", they even thought it was the end of U2, why should they risk repeating the story again?

Tired? Really? Correct they have been on the road for a while, but is has been the most spread out tour in the bands career. It’s not like they are doing 3-4 nights in a row week in week out. As the years go on I half expect this to be the norm.

As for your Zooropa points, I agree. But the band are a lot older now, they’ve been there done that. I go back to my point that I made on the tour above. Imagine this whole 360 tour was squeezed into say 14 months or whatever. Bono’s back never happens.

1.We (probably) don’t get any new songs.
2. See you again in 2013, U2.

The Vox and the rest of the band would be shot. The back injury has had a positive effect on the band, IMO. If we get a new album this year, great. If not. See you in Late 2012 or 2013.

I do hope you're right. it's a longshot to say the least, though.

But is this really how they normally do things? Usually they take a few years off before they even start on the next album, let alone tour again...

When Edge said the band would take a week off, then start deciding what material to work on, IMO he was being charitable, giving the fans yet more false hope about an imminent album - "oh, i know we said we had a finished album, and i know we said it would be out in may, but we're gonna finish it up when the 360 tour ends, and we mean it this time!"

I think it was just a publicity move, because he didn't want to flat out say there was no chance of an album for another 2-3 years (which i'm fairly certain is true), because people might lose interest in the band. Like i've said before, the band has become too big for itself, on the top of a pyramid of celebrity, scared that if they do things too recklessly, they'll topple off into obscurity. That means they have to carefully script anything they say about new material, even at the expense of leading on hopeful fans.

This tour got unnaturallly enlarged because of Bono's injury and surgery, when they finish it they'll have been on the road for more than two years and they must be tired.
It did but as was said previous it also hasn't been a 8 month a year, 5 shows a week slogathon...

Since 2009 they have played an average of 10-12 shows per month playing for about a quarter of the year in question; summer/autumn of 2009 and 2010.. plus the dates in Sth Africa and now Sth America, NZ/OZ, which probably amount in total to just under a month and a half and next up NA for just under three months, it's not quite a huge slog, so an album + a tour of sorts in 2012 is reasonable to expect... I suppose there's that 12 year LN contract and all that to fulfill, unless... the small print inlcudes these huge breaks they are so, ahem.. fond of, if so 'year 12 of 12' should be "interesting"..

But is this really how they normally do things? Usually they take a few years off before they even start on the next album, let alone tour again...

This. And they are in the finishing stages of a massive stadium tour which had shows in 3 consecutive years, plus there is no knowing how long Bono and Edge are stuck with Spiderman.

There will not be a tour in 2012. An album, yes.

Tired? Really? Correct they have been on the road for a while, but is has been the most spread out tour in the bands career. It’s not like they are doing 3-4 nights in a row week in week out. As the years go on I half expect this to be the norm.

As for your Zooropa points, I agree. But the band are a lot older now, they’ve been there done that. I go back to my point that I made on the tour above. Imagine this whole 360 tour was squeezed into say 14 months or whatever. Bono’s back never happens.

1.We (probably) don’t get any new songs.
2. See you again in 2013, U2.

The Vox and the rest of the band would be shot. The back injury has had a positive effect on the band, IMO. If we get a new album this year, great. If not. See you in Late 2012 or 2013.

Why do you think I'm talking about them being physically tired? because I'm not, perhaps they were physically tired at the end of the 2nd European leg, but they had time to recover, after that, as you say, the shows have been spread over a long period of time and that is what can have caused this tiredness, I think they must be tired of the concept, why? because when you're a creative person you find really difficult to go on repeating the same for such a long time, much more if you doubt your idea is connecting to the public and we know they do.

What is the evidence I find of this being a possibility? Well, the 360 tour concept is that of a space oddysey (it is curious that Ulysses journey is also enlarged against his will), the claw being the spaceship, and them the astronauts, they were coming out onto the stage with Space Oddity, the exact words when they appeared are "now it's time to leave the capsule if you dare", then the theme emerges at different times during the show, with Magnificent (where are we going?, etc...), elevation (time to lift off), in a little while (the international station), the astrobaby and well, some other, till the second encore that starts saying this is just a rock show (what time is it in the world? show time!), Well, for me dropping Space Oddity has a meaning, a very clear meaning that they are tired of this concept, but they can't drop it all together at once, or they'll lose the sense of show they have been producing since Zootv (I know many other acts go onto the stage and just play their songs, but U2 don't).

They thought about releasing a new album, so the tour could be refreshed, but for whatever reason the new album is not being released now, I really think it is because releasing it would involve to have at least another European leg, you can tell me they can tour only the US with it, but I don't think that idea has even crossed any of their minds. I think that at this point with all the Spiderman problems Bono and Edge are facing, with no time to rehearse any new songs, they just prefer to wrap the tour now and make a new start next year. Then, who knows? maybe the new album doesn't go that well with the 360 concept, the Edge described it as having very happy songs, I doubt that we're going to get this axact album he was talking about though.

When they released Zooropa they were 20 years younger, that's true, but it is also true that they had no option, if they didn't go on on tour they would have got ruined, fortunately, this is not the case now, they can stop and think things twice.

I understand what you say about Bono's injury having had a possitive effect on the band, I've been very lucky this tour and I've been able to follow them quite more than in any other one, I saw them in Barcelona, I could see they were nervous, then I got to see them in Dublin and London, the shows were very good, but then something happened between the show in Cardiff and the US shows, they weren't as much confident and it showed. Then, after Bono's problem Turin was incredible, I had never seen the band so happy just to be together playing for us, I was following the tour for the first month and this feeling never disappeared, getting new songs every few shows, I feel I was so lucky just for being there, perhaps Moscow was a bit different, so many millitia, all the problems with ONE and AI, maybe it was me, but I didn't get the joyous feeling I got in the other gigs. I went back to Paris and Rome, again the shows were really good, but they had gone more into a routine.

I'm sorry Bono had that problem, it was a serious one and I know how much he was risking in those first shows, he was very brave deciding to go for it, he did it for the band, but, as a fan, I'm very grateful to him for doing it.

Why do you think I'm talking about them being physically tired? because I'm not, perhaps they were physically tired at the end of the 2nd European leg, but they had time to recover, after that, as you say, the shows have been spread over a long period of time and that is what can have caused this tiredness, I think they must be tired of the concept, why? because when you're a creative person you find really difficult to go on repeating the same for such a long time, much more if you doubt your idea is connecting to the public and we know they do.

What is the evidence I find of this being a possibility? Well, the 360 tour concept is that of a space oddysey (it is curious that Ulysses journey is also enlarged against his will), the claw being the spaceship, and them the astronauts, they were coming out onto the stage with Space Oddity, the exact words when they appeared are "now it's time to leave the capsule if you dare", then the theme emerges at different times during the show, with Magnificent (where are we going?, etc...), elevation (time to lift off), in a little while (the international station), the astrobaby and well, some other, till the second encore that starts saying this is just a rock show (what time is it in the world? show time!), Well, for me dropping Space Oddity has a meaning, a very clear meaning that they are tired of this concept, but they can't drop it all together at once, or they'll lose the sense of show they have been producing since Zootv (I know many other acts go onto the stage and just play their songs, but U2 don't).

You make very good points here. They might be sick of the concept. I don’t think they are stick of the stage, but maybe the concept the stage brings with it?

They thought about releasing a new album, so the tour could be refreshed, but for whatever reason the new album is not being released now, I really think it is because releasing it would involve to have at least another European leg, you can tell me they can tour only the US with it, but I don't think that idea has even crossed any of their minds. I think that at this point with all the Spiderman problems Bono and Edge are facing, with no time to rehearse any new songs, they just prefer to wrap the tour now and make a new start next year. Then, who knows? maybe the new album doesn't go that well with the 360 concept, the Edge described it as having very happy songs, I doubt that we're going to get this axact album he was talking about though.

More very good points here. See I think the perfect time to release the new album would have been just before the European leg kicked off in 2010. Or maybe a couple of shows in (ala Zooropa) Obviously the band were not happy enough with it, didn’t have enough songs, whatever the reason. I don’t think it’s wise to release it now. Personally, I would be happy if the put a new album out but I think its going to be a difficult process from them to promote it. Especially if they try touring it in Europe, and if they are sick of the whole concept, why drag out the 360 tour any longer?

When they released Zooropa they were 20 years younger, that's true, but it is also true that they had no option, if they didn't go on on tour they would have got ruined, fortunately, this is not the case now, they can stop and think things twice.

They were in the middle of the European leg that had already been announced in late 1992 when Zooropa came out . So I don’t really see how they would have been ruined. Perhaps you mean that they were bored with concept of Zoo TV? Which I can understand.

You make some very good points that I agree with :up:

Y

They were in the middle of the European leg that had already been announced in late 1992 when Zooropa came out . So I don’t really see how they would have been ruined. Perhaps you mean that they were bored with concept of Zoo TV? Which I can understand.

You make some very good points that I agree with :up:

Thanks!

What I mean there is that they were spending so much money during the Zootv era that they had to enlarge the tour to make it profitable, and they had no choice in that, they were risking their own money, so once they annouced the new legs, they went for the album, this seems to me to be the contrary to what might have happened now, they went for an album, but then they realised it meant more tour legs, as they aren't having finantial problems and didn't feel like it, they've stopped the release. (Of course, I also believe there are more reasons, but I have explained them above)

I don't think we're gonna get a new album or 2012 arena tour (as much as I'd like there to be one). Not because of tiredness, they are simply smart enough to know when to stop.
I remember reading a passage in the Bill Flanegan book where he asks Bono if U2 were going to extend the Zoo Tv tour into 1994. Bono said he can see a "red light" and it was time to stop, and they ended it in December 1993.
Now consider that U2 were shit hot at that time, and they still ended it. Compare that to now - they are dealing with the Spider-Man debacle, and NLOTH being a general failure. If they release a half-baked album and extend the tour and the critics will really start sharpening their knives. They just won't risk it. After they wrap up 360, they're going to disappear again.

I understand what you say about Bono's injury having had a possitive effect on the band, I've been very lucky this tour and I've been able to follow them quite more than in any other one, I saw them in Barcelona, I could see they were nervous, then I got to see them in Dublin and London, the shows were very good, but then something happened between the show in Cardiff and the US shows, they weren't as much confident and it showed. Then, after Bono's problem Turin was incredible, I had never seen the band so happy just to be together playing for us, I was following the tour for the first month and this feeling never disappeared, getting new songs every few shows, I feel I was so lucky just for being there, perhaps Moscow was a bit different, so many millitia, all the problems with ONE and AI, maybe it was me, but I didn't get the joyous feeling I got in the other gigs. I went back to Paris and Rome, again the shows were really good, but they had gone more into a routine.

I'm sorry Bono had that problem, it was a serious one and I know how much he was risking in those first shows, he was very brave deciding to go for it, he did it for the band, but, as a fan, I'm very grateful to him for doing it.

:up:

I don't think we're gonna get a new album or 2012 arena tour (as much as I'd like there to be one). Not because of tiredness, they are simply smart enough to know when to stop.
I remember reading a passage in the Bill Flanegan book where he asks Bono if U2 were going to extend the Zoo Tv tour into 1994. Bono said he can see a "red light" and it was time to stop, and they ended it in December 1993.
Now consider that U2 were shit hot at that time, and they still ended it. Compare that to now - they are dealing with the Spider-Man debacle, and NLOTH being a general failure. If they release a half-baked album and extend the tour and the critics will really start sharpening their knives. They just won't risk it. After they wrap up 360, they're going to disappear again.

Yes, compare to now, during the Zootv they were spending so much money in just getting all the things prepared for the gigs that they were hardly covering expenses, they had to enlarge the tour, that is why they released Zooropa, even with that, they made very little money, if only 10% of the people hadn't attended the shows they would have been in the reds, and of course Bono saw the red light, he felt it in his voice, he damaged his voice for singing not only too many shows in a row, but also because they couldn't suspend any of them even when he was with laringitis, it was an awsome tour, but it was a big craziness that could have finish them, also Adam had many problems only to finish the tour , I don't wonder they don't want to repeat such an experience.

You're talking about the Spiderman debacle, let's see how it finishes now that they have more competent people writing the story, the first rumours are really good, I hope they can get it, but yes all the mismanagement in this musical can have prevented Bono and Edge from the necessary rehearsal time they would need if they were getting a new album.

How is NLOTH a general failure? some consider that their sales are low, maybe they are if we compare them to other U2 albums, but not so much if we watch music sales in general, sales aren't going to be the same now or in the future, people steal the music with impunity, why would they pay for it? U2 debuted with number 1 in 32 different countries, there's been a problem with the singles, mainly because they were banned from the most mainstream stations for being in favour of the radio stations paying copyrights to the artists for using their songs, and also because they chose not their best songs, but their most mainstream ones, apart from that the album has been generally aclaimed by the critic and the fans, I wouldn't call it a failure, I'm sure in 10 years we'll be talking of it as a classic. I've seen many things, I've seen many people talking terrible things of Achtung Baby when it first came out, now almost every fan would say it is their best album ever. In my opinion, NLOTH will be there on the top with AB,TUFand TJT.

I know it's not their way of working, but I really think we'll get the new album next year, surely by October, so they can catch the holiday season sales and we'll have a new tour by spring 2013.

Still my guess, I think they are going to move to shorter, but more often tours.

There isn't a snowball's chance in hell that u2 releases an album without touring to support it.

Late 2012 album. 2013 tour commencing in Spring.

That said...I do think the mega stadium, multiple year tours will end at some point.

Another thing to consider is that in late 2011, they will want to release AB remaster. They won't go up against themselves with a new album. If, as some people claim, there is no album at the present, why would there be one in a few months' time ?

i know people talk about the AB remaster, but who besides the people in here are going to rush out and buy that? (i mean, i would, but i don't now too many others who would). rather, i'd think they might use the new album to somehow promote the remaster.

that said, i think this fall is probably too quick.

i will also guess, though, that we're going to hear BFFTS on the NA leg this summer

i know people talk about the AB remaster, but who besides the people in here are going to rush out and buy that? (i mean, i would, but i don't now too many others who would). rather, i'd think they might use the new album to somehow promote the remaster.

that said, i think this fall is probably too quick.

i will also guess, though, that we're going to hear BFFTS on the NA leg this summer

The point is they will be devoting their time - whenever Bono and Edge are free to leave Spiderman - to the remaster this year. It will take time to clean the recordings up, to pick the songs for the second disc, add the band's coments, choose the DVD/sleeve design, write/record new vocals for an old AB song (as they did with earlier remasters: take an oldie and finish it up) etc.

The new album would promote the remaster ... not so much. But why kill the attention a 20 year anniversary of a legendary album deserves with new album at the same time ?

having a discussion with you is akin to smashing my face into a brick wall repeatedly.

You mean you haven't done that already? I just figured...based on your appearance that... well... you know.

:sexywink:

In all seriousness, some wise and potentially profitable moves are:

1) Get SM working. With Taymor out, clearly the onus falls on Bono and Edge, to make this a success. Admittedly, this is ludicrous, but B&E are the big profile names, so they have to get this going. If nothing else, B&E at least need audiences and critics to like the music. That alone may help the play considerably ("Cats" ran for like 4000 years based on one big song).

2) Release an EP. It can be an EP of the SM songs. It can be SM songs and a few new songs (like the ones already played on tour). It can even be a solid single with a decent b-side or two. That's all that's really needed to rejuventate the tour - a couple of solid new hit songs (or one big hit with some b-sides). Save the rest for the next album. If they couple the song with SM, that's perhaps some free publicity. If it's a big hit song (Top 40), then it's GOOD publicity - which is what SM needs now.

3) Keep up the collectibles. WAIE was brilliant. Perhaps issue another remaster (AB seems the logical choice). As with past packages, add in a new song or two - it keeps the ever complaining fanbase somewhat mollified for at least a few months.

4) Disappear after SM truly opens. Stay out of the public eye. Let people miss U2 for a bit.

5) Come back strong for holidays 2012. Have a great album with at least one great hit on it. Follow pattern for AB and ATYCLB - tour commences in 2013. Shrink tour, but keep demand high by limiting some engagements.

6) Let the music speak. Don't make any more sound bytes ("venus", "on fire", "biggest band application", yada).

There ya have it. Business with time for pleasure rolled in.

("Cats" ran for like 4000 years based on one big song).

indeed.

that's why i think we're maybe going to get a U2 full-on studio version of BFFTS released sometime soon, and it's going to become a feature of the NA leg of 360. not only does it deserve a place, because it's awesome, but it begins the redemption narrative and transforming Spiderman from incomprehensible-celestial-Julie-Taymor-project to fighting-with-exciting-music.

what's also weird, guys, is how that song not only describes actors falling and like breaking their necks and stuff, but it also could be how Bono is falling from the sky at least in terms of public opinion with the critical thrashing they've received, how he's finally bitten off more than he can chew, collapsed under the weight of his own ego, victim of his own hubris, etc. that's poetic, man.

indeed.

that's why i think we're maybe going to get a U2 full-on studio version of BFFTS released sometime soon, and it's going to become a feature of the NA leg of 360. not only does it deserve a place, because it's awesome, but it begins the redemption narrative and transforming Spiderman from incomprehensible-celestial-Julie-Taymor-project to fighting-with-exciting-music.

What I like about this idea is that it's the best song I've heard from the soundtrack to date. Also, it's a great song - one of U2's better songs.

So why not record the band version - have ANY version of the song from the production as a b-side - and release it just in time for tha NA tour? This just so happens to coincide with when SM should finally open for real (in theory). There's a big hit song (ideally), from the soundtrack of the musical. One can hear the U2 version and the stage version. People liking the song may want to hear more. This boosts SM business. A new song gives U2 new material, which they can use on the tour as well.

In other words, this could be a big boost for everyone if pulled off well. And U2 still have lots of material for their next album.

because the only people who give a shit about the 20th anniversary of achtung baby will buy the album anyways?

The remaster and the official new U2 album won't be released at the same time.

It would be great if they can agree on a direction and finalise an album for the fall this year...but there are several obstacles along the way.

Yeah I think they've peeked. I mean it's all subjective and I used to say that I felt they weren't being as experimental anymore or doing cool things anymore and in reality they're still doing what THEY want...it just happens to not jive with what I want. It's no biggie. They've given me 10 times the entertainment I've paid for.

Yeah I think they've peeked. I mean it's all subjective and I used to say that I felt they weren't being as experimental anymore or doing cool things anymore and in reality they're still doing what THEY want...it just happens to not jive with what I want. It's no biggie. They've given me 10 times the entertainment I've paid for.

More people need to have this mature of a realization. There are FAR TOO MANY interferencers that are stuck in this entitled mentality of "if they only made an album the way I wanted them to make it".

I'm not sure, i mean, i'll readily admit that they're not doing exactly what I want (even if they're still fantastic), but at the same time, i'm fairly certain they're not doing what they want. I can't be certain, but i think there's a good chance that the delay of NLOTH/inclusion of the 'middle' 3 tracks/removal of more daring material, plus the cancellation of SoA and now the DM album, were all caused by U2 wanting to make the best commercial decision/wanting to please the most amount of people/remain relevant, not what they genuinely wanted to do as artists.

I'm not sure 'doing what i want' would make them relevant again, and frankly i wouldn't care if they released another album and it was massive and they became really commercial, or they released something really crazy for the hell of it, and it didn't do so well, but at the moment they seem to be stuck in a halfway house because they're trying to please everybody, and it's satisfying no one... least of all themselves (i imagine).

I think anyone in the "we don't know if they've peaked yet because they're still recording new music" camp is really naive. They've got the potential to still release great music, no doubt, but come on, they're not going to top Streets or Bad or Achtung or etc in the future.

Back
Top Bottom