Has U2 Peaked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If U2 ended today, I think history would say that their peek was UF-AB. 1984-1992.

But I keep remaining optimistic. NLOTH was an amazing record, and they are playing some great shows. I've been a fan since 1987. My first show was ZOOTV, and the 360 show I went to was absolutely in the best show I've ever seen from them.

I like the new songs a lot, but I'm not knocked over by them. I think it's fantastic that they're doing that at all.

I really want U2's best work to be ahead of them. I really do. 4 albums under way? We'll see..... I hope they're good. The story isn't over yet.

For the record, I think ATYCLB is their worst record, Elevation by far their worst tour. HTDAAB was a badly recorded collection of good songs and NLOTH is a masterpiece. So, I have reason to hope!

Sorry to bump my thread but I think it still has relevance. We still don't have a new album despite plenty of talk, material, and numerous producers. Something is just not right in U2 camp. I think alot of it can be attributed to Spiderman as the band seemed particularly under rehearsed last night in opening back up in Chile. I think its obvious Spidy is taking its toll and may go down as the worst mistake of their careers.

As I stated before now is the time to cement your legacy not ruin it. Who knows the role that Spidy is playing on the new material not getting released yet. In my hardest of hearts I feel the new material is probably not great or ready for prime time. The fact that so many producers have been named as having their hands in the various sets of material is worriesome. The band has clearly bit off more than they can chew at this point. Its odd to me at their age that they would take on so many different projects at one time. It would be hard enough to manage that much in their 20's or 30's let alone in their 50's. As stated by others they are in somewhat uncharted waters and what worries is me is all the projects. As I stated before they really need to get focused to finish out their careers on top and with this monster tour, many projects, and Spidy I just don't see that happening. I hate to say it but I really am starting to believe that this is the end...the next few years is it. I would be very surprised if there is not a high level of friction in this band right now.

Sorry to bump my thread but I think it still has relevance. We still don't have a new album despite plenty of talk, material, and numerous producers. Something is just not right in U2 camp. I think alot of it can be attributed to Spiderman as the band seemed particularly under rehearsed last night in opening back up in Chile. I think its obvious Spidy is taking its toll and may go down as the worst mistake of their careers.

As I stated before now is the time to cement your legacy not ruin it. Who knows the role that Spidy is playing on the new material not getting released yet. In my hardest of hearts I feel the new material is probably not great or ready for prime time. The fact that so many producers have been named as having their hands in the various sets of material is worriesome. The band has clearly bit off more than they can chew at this point. Its odd to me at their age that they would take on so many different projects at one time. It would be hard enough to manage that much in their 20's or 30's let alone in their 50's. As stated by others they are in somewhat uncharted waters and what worries is me is all the projects. As I stated before they really need to get focused to finish out their careers on top and with this monster tour, many projects, and Spidy I just don't see that happening. I hate to say it but I really am starting to believe that this is the end...the next few years is it. I would be very surprised if there is not a high level of friction in this band right now.

Agreed completely. Add to that Adam's court case against his former PA for allegedly defrauding him of a large amount of moolah, plus don't forget Bono/Edge's mistimed property market investments.

When I saw the album credits for NLOTH where they thank a bunch of property developers (don't get me wrong, I really like the album), I knew it was all about to go pear-shaped.

Something is just not right in U2 camp. .

If there's only one thing to be sure of with this band right now, this statement is it!

My only hope is that after the 360 tour FINALLY crawls across the finish line they take some time to FOCUS. I don't really care what direction they go in, as long as they go for it full on and sound like they mean it! Something is off... maybe in a couple years during the revised edition of U2 by U2, they'll talk about how this era was especially difficult for them on many levels.

2009 was the NLOTH era, with an album and tour. Looking back, it's quite nice and neat.
2010-11 is just a big clusterfuck of Bono's back injury / Danger Mouse / Club Album / SOA / Spiderman / Road testing / HTDAAB Sessions revisited / Rubin Sessions revisited / Greatest Hits tour stuff. A complete mess.

It's March 2011. By this point, they probably originally intended for the 360 tour to be over and to be moving on to the next era. However, being forced to move the US dates back an entire year forced the NLOTH/360 era to go on much longer than it should have.

I think that part of the problem is that U2 over-react when their material isn't universally loved. They know NLOTH was great, or they did when they were on the roof of the BBC. But America talked them out of it. Now they don't know how to be #1 in America again, and that seems to matter to them more than anything.

This tour got unnaturallly enlarged because of Bono's injury and surgery, when they finish it they'll have been on the road for more than two years and they must be tired, Edge and Bono aren't having their best critics with the Spiderman thing and they feel commited to improve it, which talks very high of them in my opinion, but which is also getting unexpectly in the middle of the tour. Bono seems to be a multi-task person, he finds inspiration this way, but this time there have been too many difficulties, maybe even for him.
I think it's only natural that they want to stop and think things twice before they get on board with another album. During the summer they were so happy with Bono's recovery that they underrated the obstacles they were to find to release a new album in the middle of a tour, they wanted to do it because it sounded like the right thing to do when you're going back to a country and your last album was released 2 years ago, if you remember the Zootv era when they released Zooropa in the middle of it, you will also remember they have always said that doing it almost killed them, there were a lot of problems in the band, everyone paid his toll, but especially Bono with his voice and Adam with personal "suffering", they even thought it was the end of U2, why should they risk repeating the story again?
It's not that I didn't want a new album, of course I wanted it and I thought it was done and ready, but right at the bottom of my mind I was a little bit worried for the future of the band if we got it, just because I couldn't imagine a U2 album not being toured in Europe and 3 or more years touring would be too much, now things seem more reasonable, they're going to finish this, Edge and Bono are going to debut Spiderman, and, with good or bad critics, they're going to go out of the lights for a few months, they're going to rest and then they will be able to think about all this without external pressure.
I hope they realise their latest album is really good and that sales were really good in these times and at the point their career is, I would like they realise that if they want to attract more fans, it isn't going to be by going into hip-hop or r&b, but by being the best they can in their own style and I hope they find the motivation to do it again. I hope they have enough time to adjust the images of themselves inside their brains to return in their full, splendid maturity.

I would say I agree, and I do with the most part. However, I have to keep repeating it, but I think their decision to play Glastonbury this year is one of the bravest and most exciting things they could have done at this stage in their career. If they can pull out a cracking performance it would go down as one of the legendary Glastonbury performances and could inspire a bit more life in the old U2 'machine' which seems content at the moment to play it safe and predictable.

I think the band sticks to a very safe formula and doesn't stray from it, in their minds they want to avoid another disaster like Popmart. While it may have been a creative move on their part, the receptiveness from people wasn't all there exactly. They struggled with selling out stadiums and landing #1 singles, but still they pursed on.

Now somehow they've hit it big with No Line, and it's not a question about if they'll sell out stadiums, but rather, how many will they play? It's taken them 15 years to come back to this status in America, while in Europe they can play any stadium at anytime. But they've had to work hard to earn the success in America, while it was originally a given, they've had struggled with it (playing arenas mainly)

But do I see the band taking another creative move such as that anytime soon? Most likely not, but a slight change in their material would be welcomed. For example, Magnificent is a left over from Popmart, in my opinion, it has a very electronic but classic feel to it. No Line, itself is a spawn of Zooropa, and Breathe draws from War, so they find their inspiration from previous work and tours.

I believe if they stick close to what they know, they can still get by with a slight change in material, but nothing dramatic.

I know. Yeah, they've peaked. But I still love most of their music, love seeing them in concert and look forward to seeing what they'll do next. And maybe someday I'll realize I'm just not as interested anymore. And that's okay. They've given me years of stuff I love. They don't owe me diddly squat.

People say "greatest hits act" like it's the just the ultimate horror. But seriously - who cares? They've given us over 30 years of awesomeness. They're hitting 50 - things change, priorities change.

I know they want to be "relevant," and I'll go along with them while they figure out what the hell that means. Or, again, until I lose interest.

But so what if they tour without an album to promote? Thousands of fans will get to go see them perform their "greatest hits." OH MY GOD, THE HORROR! What a nightmare! Who wants to go see U2 play U2 songs, amirite????

If you don't want to go see them, if you'd rather be interested in new music from them, great! Be disappointed, be sad and nostalgic that you wished they were still putting out music you enjoyed.

But jeezum crow, don't act like it's the ultimate embarrassment to ever grace the music world.

I took some heat back at the beginning of 360 when I speculated that this "felt" to me like a farewell tour (without annoucing it as such)
Things I noticed as hints: the "feel" of the songs:
The kidding around between the guys, more than usual, especially Larry.
Pulling out old gems for us long timers like UF.
Building a space ship that would blast them off to the future unknown. How in the heck do you top THE CLAW? Come on now.
Seriously, unless they come back to bare bones like ATYCLB, but they've done that.
Also, if they see NLOTH as a failure sales wise ( I don't think it was at all, it's my fav w/JT) wouldn't this be the "second crap album and we're out"? Bono been saying that for years now. There is no way I think NL is crap btw.
The most obvious clue to me was/is this:
Waving goodbye to the rockstar's "suit of lights" at the end of UV. :sad:

Literally "hanging it up"
:sad:

I don't want them to, but it does seem like it. :(

Peaked, yes. But I also think they can make better albums than the post AB output, and manage to survive the fear of the big 5-0 age.

I would say I agree, and I do with the most part. However, I have to keep repeating it, but I think their decision to play Glastonbury this year is one of the bravest and most exciting things they could have done at this stage in their career. If they can pull out a cracking performance it would go down as one of the legendary Glastonbury performances and could inspire a bit more life in the old U2 'machine' which seems content at the moment to play it safe and predictable.

I agree with you here.

I took some heat back at the beginning of 360 when I speculated that this "felt" to me like a farewell tour (without annoucing it as such)
Things I noticed as hints: the "feel" of the songs:
The kidding around between the guys, more than usual, especially Larry.
Pulling out old gems for us long timers like UF.
Building a space ship that would blast them off to the future unknown. How in the heck do you top THE CLAW? Come on now.
Seriously, unless they come back to bare bones like ATYCLB, but they've done that.
Also, if they see NLOTH as a failure sales wise ( I don't think it was at all, it's my fav w/JT) wouldn't this be the "second crap album and we're out"? Bono been saying that for years now. There is no way I think NL is crap btw.
The most obvious clue to me was/is this:
Waving goodbye to the rockstar's "suit of lights" at the end of UV. :sad:

Literally "hanging it up"
:sad:

I don't want them to, but it does seem like it. :(

Its not their last tour. Bono said on a radio interview before the Turin 2010 show when asked the question, " Will your next tour be even bigger or back to the basics", which he asnwered with something along the lines of " Back to basics but not totally ". 360 being the last tour probably hasn't even crossed his mind, as long as the band stay fit, they've got at least another two tours left in them.

Its not their last tour. Bono said on a radio interview before the Turin 2010 show when asked the question, " Will your next tour be even bigger or back to the basics", which he asnwered with something along the lines of " Back to basics but not totally ". 360 being the last tour probably hasn't even crossed his mind, as long as the band stay fit, they've got at least another two tours left in them.

I hope that he means it. :pray:

Bono (and many other people) say things about future plans that don't end up happening.

Best laid plans of Bono and Edge mice and men, and all that ...

I think that part of the problem is that U2 over-react when their material isn't universally loved. They know NLOTH was great, or they did when they were on the roof of the BBC. But America talked them out of it. Now they don't know how to be #1 in America again, and that seems to matter to them more than anything.

I agree with this statement. NLOTH is a great album, collectively. It does sound much better in its entirety. There wasnt a huge hit single and that is what the problem is. It does feel as if U2 is over reacting to the response.

Sensitive bunch of guys they are.

Gosh, you people are nothing but doom and gloom. Such an incredible level of negativity. I hope that I don't lose my optimism with age or something, cause that would suck bigtime. U2 aren't going anywhere yet. Maybe you just don't like them as much. That's fine. But the problem is with you, not them. You're changing. Why blame that natural process on them?

corianderstem said:
But so what if they tour without an album to promote? Thousands of fans will get to go see them perform their "greatest hits." OH MY GOD, THE HORROR! What a nightmare! Who wants to go see U2 play U2 songs, amirite????

If you don't want to go see them, if you'd rather be interested in new music from them, great! Be disappointed, be sad and nostalgic that you wished they were still putting out music you enjoyed.

This is the most logical thing here. You know the majority of people at U2 concerts are casual fans anyway. They know the hits. The band will play the hits. Always been that way. And you know what, there's nothing wrong with that accessibility. No need to be snooty, there may be a bunch f younger fans out there who would love the chance to see U2, and it would be sad if they didn't get that chance because the band went, "Oh no, our last album didn't do so great, no one loves us, time to quit!"
That would be stupid.

It's fine if fans fall out of love with a band. But why hang around and whine about it and dampen the spirits of the others? :|

Anyway, record sales say U2 peaked with the Joshua Tree. I wonder how many people were having this same discussion after Achtung Baby was released.

Gosh, you people are nothing but doom and gloom. Such an incredible level of negativity. I hope that I don't lose my optimism with age or something, cause that would suck bigtime. U2 aren't going anywhere yet. Maybe you just don't like them as much. That's fine. But the problem is with you, not them. You're changing. Why blame that natural process on them?

This is the most logical thing here. You know the majority of people at U2 concerts are casual fans anyway. They know the hits. The band will play the hits. Always been that way. And you know what, there's nothing wrong with that accessibility. No need to be snooty, there may be a bunch f younger fans out there who would love the chance to see U2, and it would be sad if they didn't get that chance because the band went, "Oh no, our last album didn't do so great, no one loves us, time to quit!"
That would be stupid.

It's fine if fans fall out of love with a band. But why hang around and whine about it and dampen the spirits of the others? :|

Anyway, record sales say U2 peaked with the Joshua Tree. I wonder how many people were having this same discussion after Achtung Baby was released.

Are you saying that speculation on the vibe of this tour is "falling out of love with the band"? That's not where I am coming from. It's the opposite. I need reassurance it's NOT the beginning of the end and if it is then we can come here and whine about it.:lol:
And I edited this to say... if you didn't want to be pulled in to a discussion about U2 peaking with possible "the truth hurts" type comments why did you subject yourself to the ordeal of reading our posts?:hmm::wink:

No no. I was talking about the general vibe in here but you're a positive person actually, at least I think so, from seeing your posts over the years :)

I doubt that U2 would sign a 12 year contract if they had any feeling that they would only tour once more, though.

There are a lot of negative discussions here and on other forums lately. Obviously being impatient/disappointed does not equal "falling out of love"...but there are a lot of people who do seem like they are, and are just going around with the attitude that U2 are a disgrace. I just think it's sad, as someone who adores them.

But that is why I really ought to stay out of EYKIW.

Isn't the 360 tour the highest grossing tour ever? And they set a record for most watched live stream on YouTube when they streamed it live at the Rose Bowl [Isn't that also the attendance record for a concert?] NLOTH didn't sell as well as ATYCLB or HTDAAB, but still hit #1, went platinum in US and has sold like 5 million around the world, which is good for nowadays, even though it's not as high as their other albums except October.

Artist popularity isn't completely measured by album sales anymore like it was even as recently as 2004/2005. U2 is a big deal and will be whenever their next album comes out. It will most likely debut at #1, but unless the industry as a whole recovers it most likely wont have sales that much higher than NLOTH, though a bigger lead single would probably get it past that which I think might. [It also seems illegal download sites are being cracked down on more-I remember No Line leaked two weeks before the release date].

They still have the biggest show in town with 360, probably their most well received one after Zoo TV.

Agreed completely. Add to that Adam's court case against his former PA for allegedly defrauding him of a large amount of moolah, plus don't forget Bono/Edge's mistimed property market investments.

When I saw the album credits for NLOTH where they thank a bunch of property developers (don't get me wrong, I really like the album), I knew it was all about to go pear-shaped.

I was in Dublin a couple of months ago, and looking at Google maps, noticed that they actually have 'U2 Tower' marked on there. Just as one property example, that location, at that time... holy shit. And someone please tell me that was just a 'working title'. If they were actually, seriously planning on calling it 'U2 Tower'... then that's all you need to know.

I was in Dublin a couple of months ago, and looking at Google maps, noticed that they actually have 'U2 Tower' marked on there. Just as one property example, that location, at that time... holy shit. And someone please tell me that was just a 'working title'. If they were actually, seriously planning on calling it 'U2 Tower'... then that's all you need to know.

Hasn't that been in the works for years now? It was being referred to as that way back in the day, and it's still not built, it doesn't surprise me that it would still have that working title or placeholder name.

At least I'd hope it was just a temporary name.

It's a temporary name, as it hasn't been built yet. At least not when I was there last summer or the year before. It's called that on the Dublin city maps as well. Makes sense to me that if a building doesn't have a name it's named after the property owners..

No no. I was talking about the general vibe in here but you're a positive person actually, at least I think so, from seeing your posts over the years :)

I doubt that U2 would sign a 12 year contract if they had any feeling that they would only tour once more, though.

There are a lot of negative discussions here and on other forums lately. Obviously being impatient/disappointed does not equal "falling out of love"...but there are a lot of people who do seem like they are, and are just going around with the attitude that U2 are a disgrace. I just think it's sad, as someone who adores them.

But that is why I really ought to stay out of EYKIW.

Thanks for your kind words! :) :hug:
Ya, I like that thought about the 12 year contract, that makes sense.
I keep going back and forth with it, and now I am thinking that Bono would go nuts without performing in some shape or form, and I really don't think he would continue without the whole band.

I agree with this statement. NLOTH is a great album, collectively. It does sound much better in its entirety. There wasnt a huge hit single and that is what the problem is. It does feel as if U2 is over reacting to the response.

Sensitive bunch of guys they are.

Yep; just look at what happened with Pop. U2 = :panic: I think U2 are in a similar situation right now, but the tour is actually doing really well this time. Who knows what they'll do next? That's why I like this band, though. :corn:

Back
Top Bottom