Happy 10th Birthday ATYCLB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senrab

Refugee
Released Oct. 30, 2000. Can't believe it's been ten. I never liked the songs on album after Wild Honey, but the songs before that more than make up for it, IMO.

U2_-_All_That_You_Cant_Leave_Behind-front.jpg

Damn, I'm old.

I remember when Tripod was the place that caught everyone for hotlinking.

Also my first U2 album or at least my dad bought it and played it a lot in the car.

Damn, I'm old.

1bd7729fd7a0aba910470110.L.jpg

atyclbback.jpg

f09aa2c008a08e6121433010.L.jpg

This was and still is a significant record in their catalog; this was their first record after the alternative-sounding, sonically dense, thematically dark records of the 90s. It was startling for some fans to hear U2 making straightforward, poppy, anthemic songs such as Beautiful Day and Walk On, when the last thing they had heard from U2 was an album with subtler, harder-edged songs such as Please and Mofo.

Some saw it as a return to form for U2 after the relatively unsuccessful Pop, while others saw it(and still do see it) as the beginning of the end for U2, the beginning of their willingness to write safer songs in order to stay relevant. The latter group must have been comprised of only hard core fans, because the album was massively successful, both commercially and critically. It's initial success, and its renewed relevance a year after its release in the wake of 9/11, has made it one of the best-selling albums of U2's career.

Personally, I think it was neither a return to form nor the beginning of the end. I don't think it can touch anything U2 did between War and Pop, but then, I also think that's one of the greatest streaks of records any rock band has ever had. I think it's a solid record, made by a band in an uncertain place in their career, trying to do something new(pop songs) while maintaining their own unique sound. I think it's a good record, with a handful of great songs, made by a band that had made a bunch of incredible records before it. It's not in their top tier of records, but it's not nearly as bad as some have made it out to be, and I think it may be looked upon kinder in hindsight if it were an anomaly in their catalog - that is, if it hadn't been directly followed by HTDAAB, but rather NLOTH or another record that wasn't as straightforward and sonically uninteresting as HTDAAB.

I personally associate this record with, among other things, the 2000 presidential election, because it was released literally a few days before it, and I listened to it a lot during the whole Florida 2000 thing.

Anyway...just to remember the feeling when the album was first released, here are some performances from the promo tour(spoilered for your loading convenience):

CLARENCE HOTEL September 27, 2000

MANRAY, PARIS, FRANCE October 19, 2000

BBC RADIO 1 October 23, 2000

FARMCLUB.COM, LOS ANGELES, October 27, 2000

TRL, NEW YORK October 30, 2000

TOP OF THE POPS, LONDON November 2, 2000

PALACIO DE CONGRESOS, MADRID November 13, 2000

MTV EUROPEAN MUSIC AWARDS, STOCKHOLM November 16, 2000

GLOBO STUDIOS, RIO DE JANEIRO November 23, 2000

MY VH1 AWARDS, LOS ANGELES November 30, 2000

SNL, NEW YORK December 9, 2000

These SNL performances aren't on youtube.

http://www.mega upload.com/?d=A10WVGAN

Ok, that was more than some.

Anyway, happy 10th ATYCLB :)

You're awesome, people with remembering all those dates ;).
I personally don't like Elevation, New York or Grace, but the whole album sounds well and I discovered it for myself once again right after I found a song called Wild honey :).
Happy birthday to the simple U2.

This was either my second album I bought of the band's (first was AB). Definitely made me a fan for good after that.

This was the album that made me fall back in love with U2. We had a break-up and some time apart in the mid-90's. Then, because I worked for a major alt-rock magazine we got some free tickets to the show. I went, because, hey free tickets--and wham!! In.Love.Again. Of course I was 7 months preggo at the time---so I blame alot of it on hormones. But here we are 10 years later, spending buckets of money to chase them around the US--and my 9 year old will be in the Red Zone in Pittsburgh--his 4th show!!

Happy Birthday, old friend. You brought me into the wonderful world of U2, and for that I will be eternally grateful :hug:

Same here. :heart:

All That You Can't Leave Behind (what a fantastic title, by the way) will always have a special place in my heart and has so many memories and experiences attached to it in my mind. What better album to help a distressed teenager like I was? I salute you, ATYCLB!

Happy Birthday, old friend. You brought me into the wonderful world of U2, and for that I will be eternally grateful :hug:
It was HUTDAB that got me into U2, but ATYCLB was the second U2 record I really liked. Still summons that "late fall" vibe perfectly, even today.

...Also, it's been ten years? Holy shit.

Wow, 10 years already. I was only getting into U2 when ATYCLB came out. Really one of those strong, hooked-on albums. Happy Birthday :D :heart:

Wow, 10 years!

I can't say this album really got me into U2, but there's no way I'd be a fan without it if that makes any sense!

This was my 1st full U2 album- the 1st one I remember hearing on repeat in the car, at home, etc. My Mom and Aunt are huge fans and I remember hearing A LOT of Beautiful Day, Stuck and Elevation in 2000/2001. For whatever reason, nothing else grabbed me, though I truly love Walk On, Kite, New York, In A Little While and When I Look At The World today.

The added relevance after 9/11 was definitely palpable with me, it was almost as if ATYCLB had been released again! I actually thought "Walk On" was an old U2 song:lol: What made me a fan was the Super Bowl performance, coming through the crowd with BD, I remember thinking "damn, U2 are awesome live." Then MLK and Streets just floored me- I remember running in and asking my aunt after the performance what that new song was that they played for the 9/11 victims. I then found out that the tribute was written in 1984 and 1987 respectively. WOW. It seemed to me like it could have been written just for that occasion. I was only 14 but U2 grabbed me on a deeply emotional level that night and 2 things happened- I realized their power, and they had my respect. They were no longer just that band that my family loved and went to see in concert.

I was still a radio hits person until Bomb was released, and I of course remember Senior year of High School, everyone loving U2, Vertigo and I-Pod, etc. Bomb was the first U2 album I actually digested and decided on my own "I love these guys, they're just a cut above everyone else." My aunt picked up on this, brought me a ticket to a Vertigo show, and when I was walking out of the Boston Garden singing 40 at the top of my lungs with everyone else, I knew I was hooked for life.

Then I started through the back catalog and the rest is history.

So Bomb was the U2 album that made me a super fan, but it never would have happened without ATYCLB!

In fact, I am going to make a bold statement and say that U2 would have NO fans under 25 without ATYCLB. It doesn't matter who I talk to that is my age, even people that don't like U2 that much, there is at least one song on ATYCLB that grabbed them. It is directly responsible for U2's younger fan base. It lured a ton of young people in-myself included- and made a lot of them, myself included, realize that U2 made a great album in 2000 but they had even greater ones out there from the past!

I think ATYCLB gets a real unfair bashing around here as some safe bubble gum pop album. A lot of that stems from legitimate frustration over how much it is leaned on in live performances(no, we don't need anymore Elevation or acoustic Stuck) but I always separate that argument from the quality of the album argument. Too many here don't.

Its middle of the pack for U2 quality wise, but the great songs and the fact that it put them on top of the world again puts it right with JT and AB as far as importance to their career.

My 50 year old friend at the gym speaks for a lot of people I've met: "You know, I never really explored U2 that much. I've always liked I Will Follow, New Year's Day, etc but that album that Beautiful Day was on really spoke to me. You know, its interesting, most bands decline and lose importance as they get older,but I like U2 now probably more than I ever have."

An exact quote from a guy who really knows his music and is an all around very intelligent person.

I knock it as much as anyone sometimes, but there you have it. A big part of why so many love U2 today and a big part of why us diehards are not the only ones in stadiums!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ATYCLB!!

wow, i still remember listewning to those 30 second song clips released on the old u2.com before the album was released and downloading the leaked songs on napster......:doh::shame::shame::shocked:

Happy b-day, All That You Can't Leave Behind! :heart: I love this album. Kite, Walk on, Stuck in a moment & In a little while - these songs means so much to me! I also love Beautiful day and Elevation. All That You Can't Leave Behind is simply great album.

Happy B-Day ATYCLB! It's not the most consistent nor most varied U2-album but it still has some of the best music U2's made up to this day IMO. Regardless of what anyone may say, Beautiful Day is one hell of a song, Elevation makes you jump up and down and Kite can bring anyone to tears. :heart:

In fact, I am going to make a bold statement and say that U2 would have NO fans under 25 without ATYCLB. It doesn't matter who I talk to that is my age, even people that don't like U2 that much, there is at least one song on ATYCLB that grabbed them. It is directly responsible for U2's younger fan base. It lured a ton of young people in-myself included- and made a lot of them, myself included, realize that U2 made a great album in 2000 but they had even greater ones out there from the past!

I think ATYCLB gets a real unfair bashing around here as some safe bubble gum pop album. A lot of that stems from legitimate frustration over how much it is leaned on in live performances(no, we don't need anymore Elevation or acoustic Stuck) but I always separate that argument from the quality of the album argument. Too many here don't.

Its middle of the pack for U2 quality wise, but the great songs and the fact that it put them on top of the world again puts it right with JT and AB as far as importance to their career.

My 50 year old friend at the gym speaks for a lot of people I've met: "You know, I never really explored U2 that much. I've always liked I Will Follow, New Year's Day, etc but that album that Beautiful Day was on really spoke to me. You know, its interesting, most bands decline and lose importance as they get older,but I like U2 now probably more than I ever have."

An exact quote from a guy who really knows his music and is an all around very intelligent person.

I knock it as much as anyone sometimes, but there you have it. A big part of why so many love U2 today and a big part of why us diehards are not the only ones in stadiums!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ATYCLB!!

I agree wholeheartedly with that whole thing!

so i just made ATYCLB a cake, and tried to feed it to the cd. now it won't play in my cd player at all. in fact, my stereo won't play any cd's at all because there's frosting all over the laser. what should i do?

so i just made ATYCLB a cake, and tried to feed it to the cd. now it won't play in my cd player at all. in fact, my stereo won't play any cd's at all because there's frosting all over the laser. what should i do?
What flavor is it? From what I understand, ATYCLB is allergic to chocolate, so that might have something to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom