Happy 10th Birthday ATYCLB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What a great album! :drool: First U2 album I owned personally too. Before that I just listened to whatever I could find of their older material in my mom's CD/tape collection because I used most of my spending cash on video games. This however, was the first U2 album I actually bought and kept for myself.

I remember the first time hearing it. My parents and I were taking a short road trip to Vegas I think to watch my brother run a cross-country meet that was being held there. The morning we set off to leave we stopped at a Virgin music store and bought it. We just opened the CD and listened to the entire thing from start to finish twice while we traveled to Vegas. There was just something entrancing about hearing a song like Beautiful Day while I looked out the window at the occasional Joshua trees whizzing by on the highway connecting California and Nevada. It was special. Before then I was just a semi-fan, but ever since that car ride they have been my favorite band. :heart:

so i just made ATYCLB a cake, and tried to feed it to the cd. now it won't play in my cd player at all. in fact, my stereo won't play any cd's at all because there's frosting all over the laser. what should i do?

Have you tried google?

so i just made ATYCLB a cake, and tried to feed it to the cd. now it won't play in my cd player at all. in fact, my stereo won't play any cd's at all because there's frosting all over the laser. what should i do?

You should make a thread about it. There is no way for you to receive an answer otherwise.

Walk On is possibly my least favourite U2 single, but other than that it is a very good album. Beautiful Day and TGBHF are two of my favourite U2 songs.
Happy birthday.

I joined this forum in July 2000 and lived here in anticipation of this album. By far, the most exciting time of my life musically. Waited outside Newbury Comics in Boston to get it, then went home and listened to it all night. An incredibly important album for me, and a lot of others as well. I still feel blessed to look back and see how much a rock record could mean to me. Long live ATYCLB.

my first u2 album
now probably my least listened too
but got me into the band and listening it to it today it still is a solid album
thanks ATYCLB

I'm not going to quote the picture because I've tried hard to block it from my memory, but Oh God, the Rose Jacket :shudder:

Remember where and with whom I listened to it right after I bought it :heart::heart:
However, it s one of my least favourite U2 album....actually, its weird because it has some great songs (Kite, BD, WILATW), but also contains the worst in the u2 catalogue. It could have been one of the best with 3 other good songs instead of Peace on earth, wild honey and Stuck in a moment... Happy Birthday!

In fact, I am going to make a bold statement and say that U2 would have NO fans under 25 without ATYCLB. It doesn't matter who I talk to that is my age, even people that don't like U2 that much, there is at least one song on ATYCLB that grabbed them. It is directly responsible for U2's younger fan base. It lured a ton of young people in-myself included- and made a lot of them, myself included, realize that U2 made a great album in 2000 but they had even greater ones out there from the past!

You know, I'd have to say that's not too far from the truth. I imagine they might have roped a few young people in nonetheless, but it does seem a lot of teenagers at that time started claiming themselves as U2 fans. I was 16 when this album came out, and while it took almost two years before I really got into the band, I definitely did like all the big singles I heard off of this album, I know that much. Course, I'd always liked what I'd heard by the band, I had a bit of familiarity with them, so that helped, too. I just remember they were EVERYWHERE in 2000-on the radio, on VH1 (VH1 for a while pretty much turned into the U2 network, I swear to God not a day went by for a while where I didn't see the "Beautiful Day" video being played on there at least once a day), in magazines, all over the place.

You mentioned the 9/11 tribute at the Super Bowl-that was seriously amazing. I seem to recall seeing some of it when it originally aired, but they've repeated it a couple times since then on some sports things and...yeah. Truly touching and emotional. It really is kinda weird how appropriate that album became after that event.

Man. 10 years this past weekend, holy crap. Cannot believe it. I'll definitely have to pull it out for another listen-lots of great songs on there.

Angela

yeah i'd agree there too... it's a bit of an exaggeration/generalisation, but a good point nonetheless. i remember loving BD, Elevation and Stuck, though it wasn't until Bomb that i became a fan.

I also became a moderate fan with ATYCLB but I was a bit too young to actually become a big fan. I kept liking them with HTDAAB and I became a huge fan after NLOTH.

ATYCLB turns 10

I couldn't find a thread about this.

ATYCLB turned 10 years old a few weeks ago. I know it's not really a popular album. But to me, it saved U2's career. U2 became relevant again, after the perceived disaster of Pop. Beautiful Day was a radio staple and was credited with helping to revive U2's career. IMO, With or Without You and BD are the two singles that greatly enhanced U2's career.

To this day, I still feel that ATYCLB was robbed of winning Best Album at the Grammys. IMO, the Grammy people made up for that mistake by awarding HTDAAB as Best Album five years later, even though I think ATYCLB is slightly better than HTDAAB.

If a thread about this topic already exists, my bad.

To this day, I still feel that ATYCLB was robbed of winning Best Album at the Grammys. IMO, the Grammy people made up for that mistake by awarding HTDAAB as Best Album five years later, even though I think ATYCLB is slightly better than HTDAAB.

Yes it was robbed. Giving it to that stupid "O Brother, Where Art Thou" album was a joke, it wasn't even an album...it was a movie soundtrack.

Thanks for posting those videos, great memories. Fall of 2000 was a transitional time in my life. I was 18, just graduated high school. I took a year off between HS and college, and worked in a factory. My friends were all off to college or still in HS, and I was pretty lonely during that time. My HS sweetheart was a year younger than me, so still in HS. Somehow a cheerleader and a guy working 3rd shift in a factory just didn't mesh, so she dumped me. ATYCLB was the one bright spot I had. It was great to see U2 doing well again after the negativity POP brought to their image.

ATYCLB is like that only friend that was there for you in your darkest hour. You may not have much in common with them now, you may have other friends that you hang out with more often now, and you may not call that friend as much anymore, but you'll always hold them in high regard because of what they meant to you.

Back
Top Bottom