Had there been an OS1 Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fan101

Refugee
So having a little fun here, doing that "what if" there was a tour. And yes, I clearly have too much time on my hands...so deal. :wink:

Considering the atmosphere of the album, I feel as though only songs from the 90s would have been performed. So I had some fun with three sets...possibly more to come.

Set 1:
United Colours
One Minute Warning
Always Forever Now
A Different Kind of Blue
Your Blue Room
Beach Sequence
Miss Sarajeo
Ito Okashia
Elvis Ate America
Slug
Theme From the Swan

Mission Impossible - Intermission Music

Bottoms (Zoo Station Remix)
The Fly (The Lounge Fly Mix)
Lady With the Spinning Head (Extended Mix)
Babyface
Goldeneye
Numb
If You Wear That Velvet Dress (since it was a leftover from Zooropa)
The First Time
The Wanderer
(short break, about a minute, then the alarm at the end of Wanderer come in and seque into Edge's riff of....)
Encore:
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill me
Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
Salome
Viva Davidoff

Set 2:
Viva Davidoff (shadows of members behind screen)
Theme From Mission Impossible (screen disappears)
One Minute Warning
United Colours
Plot 180
Bottoms (Zoo Station remix)
Zooropa
Theme from Let's Go Native
Lemon
Elvis Ate America
Your Blue Room
A Different Kind of Blue
Corpse
Always Forever Now
Dirty Day
Beach Sequence
Slug
Miss Sarajevo
Ito Okashi

Theme From the Swan (Intermission music)

Encore:
Alex Descends into Hell
The Fly (Lounge Fly mix)
Hold Me Thrill Me
Goldeneye
The Wanderer

Set 3:
Bottoms (Zoo Station remix)
The Fly (Lounge Fly)
Hold Me Thrill Me
Numb
Elvis Ate America
One Minute Warning
Mission Impossible
Goldeneye
Beach Sequence
A Different Kind of Blue
Slug
Always Forever Now
Lady With the Spinning Head (extended mix)
Babyface
Corpse
Ito Okashi
Theme From the Swan

Encore 1:
Zooropa
Lemon
Dirty Day
Miss Sarajevo

Encore 2:
United Colours
Daddy's Gonna Pay
Your Blue Room
Wake Up Dead Man (since it was a leftover from Zooropa)

In particular, I like The Wanderer into Hold Me transition. Really works. I saw someone post that on here that they thought it felt the alarm was an intro to the guitar in Hold Me Thrill Me. I also like Slug-->Always Forever Now.

Anyone else, feel free to posts your ideas of sets.

There's an alternate world where U2 became Passengers permanently and freed themselves from commercial interests and pop structures, collaborating with a diverse group and regularly touring large theatres, ampiththeatres, classical venues, and small arenas.

Those sets are super cool. Here's mine:

1. Zooropa
2. Always Forever Now
3.United Colours
4. Slug
5. All I Want Is You (ost 1 style)
6. ISHFWILF (ost 1 style)
7. Your Blue Room
8. One Minute Warning
9. A Different Kind of Blue
10. Beach Sequence
11. Miss Sarajevo
12. One
13. The First Time
14. Zoo Station
15. UTEOTW
16. The Fly
17. Lemon
18. The Wanderer
19. Stay
20. Streets

21. ASOAH
22. Heartland
23. WOWY
24. Babyface
25. Mysterious Ways
26. Surrender
27. "40"

Sent from my XT1034 using U2 Interference mobile app

There's an alternate world where U2 became Passengers permanently and freed themselves from commercial interests and pop structures, collaborating with a diverse group and regularly touring large theatres, ampiththeatres, classical venues, and small arenas.

Those sets are super cool. Here's mine:

1. Zooropa
2. Always Forever Now
3.United Colours
4. Slug
5. All I Want Is You (ost 1 style)
6. ISHFWILF (ost 1 style)
7. Your Blue Room
8. One Minute Warning
9. A Different Kind of Blue
10. Beach Sequence
11. Miss Sarajevo
12. One
13. The First Time
14. Zoo Station
15. UTEOTW
16. The Fly
17. Lemon
18. The Wanderer
19. Stay
20. Streets

21. ASOAH
22. Heartland
23. WOWY
24. Babyface
25. Mysterious Ways
26. Surrender
27. "40"

Even though this would've meant no Pop era, I'd still take this alternate U2 reality over what actually did unfold in a nanosecond. The last 15 years in particular have been absolutely fucking dismal creatively.

I wish U2 would've had the balls to own the OS1 album. Yes some say it's a different band because it's with Brian Eno. I think Brian Eno was just as involved with NLOTH, for example. The Passengers moniker is just to save U2 from having to own up to a record THAT experimental and out there.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yeah. Imagine how much more interesting the official narrative would be if ost 1 was given the place it deserves.

Yeah. Imagine how much more interesting the official narrative would be if ost 1 was given the place it deserves.

What would the narrative be?
U2 released an album full of instrumentals. The obvious U2 song of the album became the obvious single and did fairly well. No one cared beyond that except for a handful of people on U2 forums.

That's the narrative for any new U2 album these days, only replace "instrumentals" with "prototypical U2 anthems" and "did fairly well" with "didn't do well."

The narrative? That they're a huge band that went farther out than any other popular band. That they were immeasurably brave artists who followed sound above all else.

If the album had been a mind-blowing success, then yes.
And I don't mean commercial success. I mean artistic success.

As it stands the reason that OS1 does not show up on any of the all-time top 10,000 albums lists (compiled by more than 4 people who do not all frequent a U2 forum) is because, if this is what you get when U2/Passengers bravely follow the sound, it's just not that great.

It's not great but it is very good. The first half is among U2's best work, but it drops off severely after missvsarajevo. I think the main reason it gets dismissed and considered a minor excursion, an act of dilettanteism into ambience, is precisely because it wasn't slapped with the "U2" brand. It indicates that the band saw it as unworthy, so why should anyone else consider it to be otherwise?

I can't believe we're having this argument in two separate threads.

Might as well just repeat what I always say: the first half is better than anything they've released in the past 15 years, and the second half is more interesting than anything they've released in the past 15 years.

I'm discovering Passengers is a hot button subject on interference members :)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'm discovering Passengers is a hot button subject on interference members :)

Actually, the Mercy debates are far worse. :wink:

When I used to buy CD's more often and stack them in chronological order, Passengers was always in the U2 section and placed in between Zooropa and Pop. I couldn't care less. To me (and plenty of others) Passengers is a U2 album. But, there wasn't the typical fanfare when it was released which is fine.

I too put Passengers after Zooropa. And listened to it to fall asleep for a couple of years. And I agree with LemonMelon that the first half is better than anything they've done since 2000, and the back is more interesting. I prefer SOI as a whole though. But did they ever make a mistake not calling it U2. Miss Sarajevo and Your Blue Room are both all-time classics.

Yeah, I definitely don't agree with LemonMelon that the first half is better then anything they've done in the last 15 years. Please. There's 2 great songs and 2 good songs on OS1. There's plenty of great to awesome songs on the last 4 albums. The output on SOI alone is superior to OS1. I mean, shit, at least be more forthright and say that you think their 2000's material sucks. That just makes it easier.

It doesn't suck. Not all of it anyway. NLOTH is very good and ATYCLB has some great moments.

Not sure what's so hard to grasp that someone might consider OS1 a legitimately great album. There's no pretense to objectivity here.

It doesn't suck. Not all of it anyway. NLOTH is very good and ATYCLB has some great moments.

Not sure what's so hard to grasp that someone might consider OS1 a legitimately great album. There's no pretense to objectivity here.

You (or Hollow Man) were saying that the first half of OS1 was better than any of their 2000's stuff. What did I misunderstand?

You (or Hollow Man) were saying that the first half of OS1 was better than any of their 2000's stuff. What did I misunderstand?

Yes, but then you said "you might as well as say the 2000s material sucks" which doesn't follow if I love the first half of OS1.

It's not like I said a pile of shit is better than the 00s material. Theoretically, someone could like piles of shit that much, but it's not the same thing. I could consider OS1 a 10/10 and the later stuff all 9/10.

In reality, I'd probably give OS1 an 8 and the newer albums between a 5 to a 7. Not sucky, just average/decent.

Last edited:
Yes, but then you said "you might as well as say the 2000s material sucks" which doesn't follow if you love the first half of OS1.

It's not like I said a pile of shit is better than the 00s material. Theoretically, someone could like piles of shit that much, but it's not the same thing. I could consider OS1 a 10/10 and the later stuff all 9/10.

In reality, I'd probably give OS1 an 8 and the newer albums between a 5 to a 7. Not sucky, just average/decent.

Well, I would imagine flies and pigs like piles of shit. :wink: This post gave me a good laugh. For that I thank you. Plus, you make a fair rebuttal. As a whole, I enjoy OS1. Miss Sarajevo, Slug, and Always Forever Now are my favorite tracks.

and the second half is more interesting than anything they've released in the past 15 years.
If with "interesting" you mean "different" then I agree.
If with "interesting" you mean "interesting" then I do not agree.

Even on the first half of OS1 (which is very good) quite a lot of the stuff is made to sound better because of the couple of great tracks that hold it all together. Funny enough all those great tracks have Bono singing on them.
As far as the instrumentals go I would venture to say there were probably 10 better electronic albums released in 1995 alone.

There were certainly superior electronic albums in 1995, Tri Repetae is a big one.

But no, I don't hear anything remotely interesting in most new U2 albums. Good, hearty music with great hooks and impassioned vocals, sure, but not very interesting. You've pretty much heard all it has to offer after the first listen, which is especially problematic with HTDAAB. OS1 I still find rewarding and fresh after many listens.

You're right that their recent albums don't reveal much past the first listen. Ost 1 is still rewarding after 20 years. NLOTH was the only U2 album since Pop to have anything interesting going on, but Bono is so loud in the mix that they may as well not be there. On OST 1 (and everything pre 2000), the balance is perfect.

Tri Repetae is amazing, and while there are better electronic albums than ost 1 from 95, no U2 album since 2000 would be in my top 20 rock albums.

Back
Top Bottom