Guy Oseary, Madonna, U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

last unicorn

Blue Crack Addict
Does anyone else find it strange and maybe a bit irritating, that Guy Oseary, the man who represents U2 as their new manager, has been all over social media, in particular Twitter, about Madonna and the album leaks first and her newly released singles now, posting and re-tweeting people posting about her and the new songs' charts positions, but apparently hasn't bothered to do anything even remotely similar for U2 since SOI came out, neither when the album was released, when the Apple backlash was taking place, when the album was released again, when the tour was announced, when performances were canceled due to Bono's accident etc etc?

I don't think it's asked too much from a manager who earns shitloads of money with his famous clients to at least take some interest in pushing their image and promoting their music and performances in the public by means of social media which clearly is one of the most important channels for doing so these days.

Judging from Oseary's social media behavior and communication or better: non-communication in regards to U2 you wouldn't even know he's their manager at all. Doesn't he care about the band? It seems like that to me. He surely cares a lot about Madonna, though.

But what do I know. Maybe all of this is just part of a big plan I don't understand.

Ok, I'm a twitter nerd tonight, I counted those U2 tweets: 8 (in words: eight) about the release of SOI, 2 about Bono, (RED) and World Aids Day, none about the tour announcement, that's it. For Madonna, uncountable.

It just irks me and rubs me the wrong way. I think U2 fans should be brave enough to send thousands of tweets to Mr Oseary and ask him for some sort of public commitment for the band.

Im sure he is some wonderful genius or mad scientist at what he does, otherwise u2 would have never hired him.

However i do miss McGuinness. And so far im not exactly happy with some of what i have seen. Not going to elaborate on that either, i just find this entire marketing strategy for the album, tour, etc. stinks. I hope im wrong. Im sure someone will come in here and tell me im wrong and i know nothing, shut up, etc.

Does anyone else find it strange and maybe a bit irritating, that Guy Oseary, the man who represents U2 as their new manager, has been all over social media, in particular Twitter, about Madonna and the album leaks first and her newly released singles now, posting and re-tweeting people posting about her and the new songs' charts positions, but apparently hasn't bothered to do anything even remotely similar for U2 since SOI came out, neither when the album was released, when the Apple backlash was taking place, when the album was released again, when the tour was announced, when performances were canceled due to Bono's accident etc etc?

I don't think it's asked too much from a manager who earns shitloads of money with his famous clients to at least take some interest in pushing their image and promoting their music and performances in the public by means of social media which clearly is one of the most important channels for doing so these days.

Judging from Oseary's social media behavior and communication or better: non-communication in regards to U2 you wouldn't even know he's their manager at all. Doesn't he care about the band? It seems like that to me. He surely cares a lot about Madonna, though.

But what do I know. Maybe all of this is just part of a big plan I don't understand.

I was thinking it was quite odd and completely agree that one couldn't tell he had any association whatsoever with U2.

Madonna is the one who gave him the fame and power he has today, so it's logical and understandable that he is so devoted. That doesn't negate the U2 silence.

I brought this up to a fellow U2 friend yesterday and they weren't too worried. I still find that it speaks volumes in its silence.

Maybe Madonna's more needy and/or demanding.

Maybe U2 is fine with this arrangement. Heck, maybe they requested that Oseary stay out of it. They managed to do just fine without McGuinness hawking them all over the interwebs.

It's not like U2 needs the extra hand-holding, so hand-wringing over this is silly.

Yes, I'm sure U2 can do well and don't need Guy's special guidance, I just think it looks weird - also to the general public - that he's getting all enthusiastic about Madonna and stays mainly silent about U2 as if he just doesn't care about the band.

U2 haven't exactly been very social-media-savvy so far and McGuiness has been known as a great skeptic when it came to the internet, but with Oseary taking over they could at least try to improve their impact on social media, IMO.

I've been a Madonna fan for years, and still am interested in her music. BUT. She she's so desperate for attention and hits, and comes across much more so than U2, even while they talk about their play for relevance and hits.

I mean, this is the woman who just talked about the leak of her music as "artistic rape" (to which I say "get bent, you asshole"). I think it's probably a safe assumption to say that she demands much more attention from her manager than U2 does.

So with all that, I think what you're describing says more about Madonna than it does about Oseary.

I've been a Madonna fan for years, and still am interested in her music. BUT. She she's so desperate for attention and hits, and comes across much more so than U2, even while they talk about their play for relevance and hits.

I mean, this is the woman who just talked about the leak of her music as "artistic rape" (to which I say "get bent, you asshole"). I think it's probably a safe assumption to say that she demands much more attention from her manager than U2 does.

So with all that, I think what you're describing says more about Madonna than it does about Oseary.

Yeah, the "rape" thing was just :doh:

But if you read all those tweets it just comes across like Madonna fans are out in force while U2 fans just don't care. That's not a manager really representing the band he's working for.

I have no comment on this but I did hear madonnas new songs last night and boy do they suck!!! Why is a 56 year old lady trying to make music that speaks to teens and Tweens! I like her music a lot but the last few albums like hard candy and MDMA are just horrible. I miss the music from Ray of light or American life and earlier. And I guess I'll coment I agree she demands a lot more attention then U2. Maybe that's why all the tweets!

I remember the hype about mr Oseary.

Other than "they can delete it if they don't want it" comment on Apple thingie, what has he done for the band ?

That was a U2/Apple deal. It was never reported Oseary was involved.

Also, per Edge, the "100 million dollars" story is a myth.

Yeah, the "rape" thing was just :doh:

But if you read all those tweets it just comes across like Madonna fans are out in force while U2 fans just don't care. That's not a manager really representing the band he's working for.

yeah but part of that is Madonna's fanbase are desperate to make her seem relevant to the world at large still..and they're tweeting endlessly to get her no1 on social networking

U2 fans (in general) more interested in the music than chart placings and being cool with the yoof market- and I say this as a Madonna fan

yeah but part of that is Madonna's fanbase are desperate to make her seem relevant to the world at large still..and they're tweeting endlessly to get her no1 on social networking

U2 fans (in general) more interested in the music than chart placings and being cool with the yoof market- and I say this as a Madonna fan
Exactly.

At least in the us, all of u2s 12 albums had gone at least Platinum. This free giveaway takes them off the hook for that record coming to a end. Lol. But also because they knew this was going to be the new album that finally was a true, true commercial flop. Or at least it was looking that way. I think u2 cares just as much about relevance as Madonna . Except u2 will accept defeat with more class then madge. She does NOT wanna do a greatest hits tour if she can help it. Just compare the mdna tour setlist to the 360 One.

At least in the us, all of u2s 12 albums had gone at least Platinum. This free giveaway takes them off the hook for that record coming to a end. Lol. But also because they knew this was going to be the new album that finally was a true, true commercial flop. Or at least it was looking that way. I think u2 cares just as much about relevance as Madonna . Except u2 will accept defeat with more class then madge. She does NOT wanna do a greatest hits tour if she can help it. Just compare the mdna tour setlist to the 360 One.

IMO if they hadn't of given the album away it would of went platinum in the US, despite NLOTH being classed as a flop it was still one of the highest sellers of the year

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

have to respectfully disagree. Not sure soi could have reached Platinum. But i was taking shots at the idea nloth and pop were flops. They just are not. Thier was a price to be paid for taking over 5 years for the album. Some might have fallen off the bandwagon in that time.Platinum was going Be really tough.

U2 had the Apple relationship. They likely initiated it solely and then brought in Oseary to do he business of it while they knew all that was being discussed. U2 are no dummies, rather they are astute businessmen.

Back
Top Bottom