Grammy Nominations 12-02-09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CosmoKramer

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Nominations will be announced tonight. I know that some of you dont like the Grammies and think they are pointless and out of touch. While I respect your thoughts, I would ask that you dont post in this thread and allow those who think it is cool for U2 to be nominated for awards, at any level, to post their thoughts. Okay folks, what, if anything, do you think U2 might get nominated for?? My thoughts:

Rock Album-NLOTH:up:
Live Performance by a duo or Group-GOYB
Song of the year- Crazy Tonight (I can dream out loud)
Album of the year-NLOTH (Still dreaming out loud :sexywink:)

I hope Magnificent is nominated for something because it is such a great song but I think that Crazy Tonight has a bit more "depth" and might be acknowledged......here is to hoping :wave:

I think they'll probably get nominated for Rock Album of the year but probably not for Album of the year.

If NLOTH is not nominated for album of the year, what would the academy nominate it it's place?
I feel almost certain they will be nominated for album of the year. Perhaps Moment of Surrender for song of the year?

While I think No Line is definitely the best album this year, especially true of mainstream albums this year which is more or less what counts here, I'm not so sure it'll win if it's nominated. It didn't have that impact single.

HTDAAB was quite old and far removed from a hit single when it won... we'll see, they certainly love U2, and there weren't really any mainstream albums that were better.

I will be shocked if they don't get nominated for Album of the Year. Its U2, and Grammy voters (wisely) love them.

Grammy voters rarely pick the new and trendy. I'd also be shocked if U2 didn't get a nod for album of the year.

Just look at some recent winners...

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss
Herbie Hancock
Dixie Chicks
U2
Ray Charles
Norah Jones
Steely Dan
Santana
Bob Dylan
Celine Dion

I'd love to see Magnificent or Moment of Surrender get nominated for song of the year, they both deserve it! :)

If GOYB gets nominated for anything it will be an embarrassment for U2 :doh: and will give the haters ammunition for years to come that the grammys are rigged to have nominated a song like GOYB.

Perhaps Moment of Surrender for song of the year?

:lol: Probably not.

Taylor will win album of the year. Record of the year will go to Gaga, probably for Poker Face. No clue on song of the year. All I know is that NLOTH is going to get screwed by its March release date. HTDAAB and ATYCLB had a Grammy advantage because of the huge digestion period their release dates allowed them.

Animal Collective has a good shot for best Alternative album. Possibly THE GRIZ! ?

Interesting LA Times analysis...

U2, 'No Line on the Horizon'

Grammy potential: It's U2, friends. This is the band that opened the 2009 Grammy Awards, despite not even having an album in contention during last year's eligibility period.The band won album of the year for "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" in 2006, and also won for "The Joshua Tree" in 1988. That being said, the album isn't generating the kind of sales heat that greeted "Atomic Bomb," and no single from "No Line" has truly broken out. Yes, "No Line" and U2 will be nominated for multiple Grammys, but the only question is where.

Grammy deserving: Here's where things get a little interesting. U2's last two albums were nominated for album of the year trophies, the aforementioned "Atomic Bomb," plus "All That You Can't Leave Behind" in 2002. But "No Line" is a significantly better record than both. It's not perfect -- witness the predictably sparkly phone-in-the-air rock ballad "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" -- but by and large, "No Line" is U2 back to its risk-taking self. "Moment of Surrender," in particular, is an extended gospel-influenced rock 'n' soul cut that's all about relaxing into a groove rather than going for the stadium chorus. In short, if voters recognized U2's last two albums, they can't overlook this one, as it's the superior effort.

Grammys 2010: An early look at album of the year contenders (Part 1) | Pop & Hiss | Los Angeles Times

You gotta remember.. The Grammy Awards are always sucking on U2's tit.. Even when they aren't qualified, they find a way to get them on the show

SMB

Grammy deserving: Here's where things get a little interesting. U2's last two albums were nominated for album of the year trophies, the aforementioned "Atomic Bomb," plus "All That You Can't Leave Behind" in 2002. But "No Line" is a significantly better record than both. It's not perfect -- witness the predictably sparkly phone-in-the-air rock ballad "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" -- but by and large, "No Line" is U2 back to its risk-taking self. "Moment of Surrender," in particular, is an extended gospel-influenced rock 'n' soul cut that's all about relaxing into a groove rather than going for the stadium chorus. In short, if voters recognized U2's last two albums, they can't overlook this one, as it's the superior effort.

LA Times writer, you are on my Christmas card list. I don't care for the Grammys or U2's wins in that arena, but it's nice to see a journalist acknowledge that NLOTH trumps HTDAAB and ATYCLB (and that Crazy Tonight is representative of what makes up the low end of U2's 00s output). It seems that of late too many are simply judging the album solely by it's sales.

Earnie, you and i agree quite a bit about NLOTH. if you want a good listen, try this tracklist. it's fun:

1. No Line On The Horizon
2. Magnificent
3. Moment Of Surrender
4. Unknown Caller
5. Disappearing Act
6. Fez - Being Born
7. White As Snow
8. Winter
9. Breathe
10. Cedars Of Lebenon
11. No Line On The Horizon 2

Rock Album-NLOTH:up:
Live Performance by a duo or Group-GOYB
Song of the year- Crazy Tonight (I can dream out loud)
Album of the year-NLOTH (Still dreaming out loud :sexywink:)

They will get nominated, but they won't win a damn thing...

Because the don't deserve anything for NLOTH

You've got to admit, they won the right awards FOR THE WRONG ALBUMS

:|

:reject:

*RUNS OUT OF THE THREAD*

I honestly believe that NLOTH represents the first time U2 has deserved an album of the year nomination since Pop. Now, to be fair, the albums ATYCLB and HTDAAB were up against were largely awful (I attribute this to the uninformed/stagnant state of the Academy), but even then, Kanye's Late Registration was the kind of artistic statement that Bomb could only dream of being, while Outkast and Bob Dylan released albums that dwarfed ATYCLB.

As elitist as it sounds, the only category I take even remote seriously is the alternative category, but even then it's the same artists regurgitated...Beck, The Shins, The White Stripes, Radiohead, and so on. Animal Collective, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Passion Pit, Phoenix, and Grizzly Bear would be very deserving nominees, but I would be pleasantly surprised if any one of them made the cut.

Well, they won't be getting anything for Song of the year. Lets see if /where they get nominated elsewhere.

Since I'm on the west coast, can you post the nominations that you are watching? At least in potential U2 categories?

Since I'm on the west coast, can you post the nominations that you are watching? At least in potential U2 categories?

they did song of the year and pop performance by duo or group so far- no U2.

Rock album up next.

Back
Top Bottom