Grammy Nominations 12-02-09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Then I'm glad there are people on this board who don't share this OPINION, because I'm one of the people here who love the album. And I don't care about Grammies and stuff. I also love NLOTH and I don't care for Grammies, ratings, hit singles or sale figures here as well. There are U2 songs I don't like and some of them are wildly praised by many on this forum and some of them are even very popular among the general public, and there are others I love some of these are not very popular. So what. I came to U2 in the 2000s and it's mainly their work of the last years that made me a fan, though I embrace everything they've done, either if not everything is appealing to me in the same way. I would never call anything they've done "a piece of shit", it's respectless, and honestly, I can't think of anything U2 have done that would deserve to be called that.

What's disrespectful about calling a musical album (a non-living object that has no personal feelings) a piece of shit? It's just my opinion. It's not like i insulted someone's mother. My favorite U2 album is Joshua Tree. I couldn't care any less if someone called it a piece of shit. Call me a piece of shit, that's one thing. I'm a living thing.

Anyway, i was capitalizing OPINION before to point out in a not-so-subtle fashion to that poster that he/she was mistaking opinion for fact. That tends to happen a lot around here it seems.

I am done with this dicussion. U2's opinion of POP changed after the public didnt take to the album although mostly this was in the USA. You cant tell me that ATYCLB wasnt affected by public reception to POP.

ATYCLB and Bomb are about as adult contemporary as U2 has ever been and while I enjoy those albums I truely hope U2 doesnt go back there again.

What U2 will do if I read them right is they wont put Songs of Ascent out now in the form its in...they will go back with Lillywhite and rework some of the Rick Ruban material that they were doing when Window In The Skies came out and it will be a very adult contemporary album and to me that will be nothing more then a sell out.

Pop - they ran out of time to finish it, and probably more damaging, they ran out of time to properly rehearse the tour.

ATYCLB - their way of writing turned to *singles, which shows/showed on the next two albums. Songs of ascent sounds like a different album though.

Just got done looking at the nominations.

Im very surprised that they didn't get Album of the Year. I can't remember the last time this happened.

Music seems to be taking a turn in the indsutry......a huge turn. Today bands and performers can't write for beans. Lady Gaga can sure catch attention of many fans but her producers are the reason why she's doing well. Her catchy songs and dance rythyms are adored by many but I'm unsure of what her intentions are through music after lsitening to a song like 'Pokerface' which has NO meaning and makes NO sense.

Just because it's played on the radio and is a highly played song shouldn't mean it gets a grammy nod.

On the other hand the Black Eyed Peas I can understand. Hell, I even bought there album ! Its their best album and I hope they win. Its evident that they want to change the music industry with there unique sound accompanied by a little 70's club disco in their new album 'The End'. I like there message and one of the songs on album is featured about 'one people' and one everything and erasing hate. This drew u2's attention which is why they toured with them.

I still beleive NLOTH was there best since Achtung Baby but it just didn't attract the audience. Its strange because Atomic Bomb to me sucked yet it swept everyone at the Grammy's. Their sales were pretty good though and they did that becasue of the hit 'Vertigo'.

'Get on Your Boots' could've been a 2nd Vertigo but the song had too much bass (sorry Adam fans). U2 are at their best when Edge is at the front line.

If you look at these albums- Achtung Baby, All That You Cant Leave Behind, Atomic Bomb you will see the first singles released were guitar driven songs like. The Fly, Beautiful Day, Vertigo were all guitar driven. Boots was not. Therefor you get U2's worst single EVER.

If you dont have a good single only the band's fans will listen to the whole album. 'Boots' killed this albums marketing plan.

the reason 'Crazy' was picked was because SOME people outside of the u2 fans have remotley heard the song.

this song got the most play time i believe. thats why it was nominated. no one has heard of magnificent or breathe.

my opinion is 'Breathe' was the best rock song of the year and is miles aaway from 'Crazy'.

'Breathe' is as rock n roll, u2-anthem, get outta my way i dont care what you think, in your face as it gets!

I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact that Crazy got nominated. I truly enjoyed the live mix, performed on tour. But album version :doh: definitely not a song I would've nominated.

I think POP gets a very bad rap. It is most definitely U2s most complex record and also the most ambitious record they ever attempted. It was not pulled off perfectly but it was pretty close to being even more amazing then other experiments they attempted including Achtung Baby.

I would be all for bringing Howie B back to attempt a second album with the band because I think it could achieve great results.

I am personally tired of the same producers all the time, Eno, Lanios, Lillywhite, Flood step aside bring somebody else in but not somebody that is not willing to experiment. I dont think Rick Rubin is the right person either.

I think POP gets a very bad rap. It is most definitely U2s most complex record and also the most ambitious record they ever attempted. It was not pulled off perfectly but it was pretty close to being even more amazing then other experiments they attempted including Achtung Baby.

I would be all for bringing Howie B back to attempt a second album with the band because I think it could achieve great results.

I am personally tired of the same producers all the time, Eno, Lanios, Lillywhite, Flood step aside bring somebody else in but not somebody that is not willing to experiment. I dont think Rick Rubin is the right person either.

well u2 does their best music with Eno/Lanois hands down. Rick Rubin is ok but he's just not right for u2.

the only 2 that deserve mention with u2 or will ever deserve mention with them is eno/lanois.

as i said before i still think they have something left in them. prolly not better than JT/ACHTUNG BABY but I think they have a shot a pulling off another big return as they did in 2000-2001 with Beautiful Day.

The problem is the radios no matter what just wont play their songs which is a shame. We're starting to forget what music is in this country.

The first Grammy Awards performers were announced today and U2 isn't on the list.

um ok. is there any wording on presenting? or being there? i've searched grammy's site but can't find much on there. i know you all talked about this a while ago, so i just wanted to see if there was anything new?

hi laura!:wave:

:wave: Hey Melissa

I haven't heard anything about them being there. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

At least Edge maybe there. This is what Atu2 tweeted today.

atu2 Via @bryanvargas comes news that Edge attended a performance of FELA! last night on Broadway. #u2

If he was in NYC yesterday, then maybe he'll be at the Grammy's.

i think the committee that has been good to u2 has finally said 'ok, its someone elses turn'

that would be a new rock band 'kings of leon'.

think about it. you cant keep giving awards to the same band over and over even if its u2.

i think their rule over the grammies is pretty much over.

will they still make incredible music YES.

But lets face it, the songs that were nominated are more pop than rock which is what the majority listen to these days. So thats why 'Crazy' got nominated.

its really a bs award show but w/e.

NLOTH should have been nominated as best album, it deserves to be nominated, but since U2 got the "best album" Grammy only a few years ago, they won't get anything this time. I still feel they should, they made some of their best music recently, and IF one song should be nominated it should be "Magnificent". I doubt they'll get anything, they've already been awarded so many Grammys. In the end, the Grammys are about tactics. I think the members of U2 know that very well and will stay away from this year's ceremony. If they don't show up, there won't be a Grammy for them. In the end, it doesn't matter, NLOTH will always be one of their best albums. Achtung Baby! also got ignored back then.

Thats a huge snub by the grammys if U2 do not win Best Rock Album. They arent up against the trendy over-played Kings Of Leon. Theres no reason why they shouldnt at least win that

NLOTH should have been nominated as best album, it deserves to be nominated, but since U2 got the "best album" Grammy only a few years ago, they won't get anything this time. I still feel they should, they made some of their best music recently, and IF one song should be nominated it should be "Magnificent". I doubt they'll get anything, they've already been awarded so many Grammys. In the end, the Grammys are about tactics. I think the members of U2 know that very well and will stay away from this year's ceremony. If they don't show up, there won't be a Grammy for them. In the end, it doesn't matter, NLOTH will always be one of their best albums. Achtung Baby! also got ignored back then.

:up: Exactly.

All great bands have to worry about overexposure. Though I still hope for a best rock album award.

At this point, why is anyone stressing about U2 winning another Grammy Award? Does it matter, or do some people actually want to see Bono fully mutate into "South Park" Bono?

Back
Top Bottom